Contact   Imprint   Advertising   Guidelines

Need a cure for the uncommon cold (wetsuit related question)

Forum for kitesurfers
Balloonboy
Very Frequent Poster
Favorite Beaches: sandy
Style: Kook-style
Gear: Kite + bar + board
Brand Affiliation: None

Re: Need a cure for the uncommon cold (wetsuit related quest

Postby Balloonboy » Fri Dec 17, 2010 4:59 am

Feng wrote:
Balloonboy wrote:Its rare to find temps in the 60's and even 50's but that's what we've had. Add some strong wind (25-30kts+) and my thin blood is having a hard time keeping my body warm using a Mystic 3/2 shortly with long arms. Even with 1mm top underneath.
60F = 15C, 50H = 10C.
At this temperature in UK I use a 5/3 wetsuit, boots and gloves.
I have also an helmet that somehow keep the head warm.

Mid/high 60's and our water is much warmer. 5/3 boots and gloves- I'd die of heat prostitution, er prostration. But a lid is a good idea. I use a ballcap- does that count? :jump:

frankm1960
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: -Bayshore, at the end sea st. on saint John's west side, bay of fundy.
-Saints rest beach, at the end of sandy point road, irving nature park, saint john, west side.
Gear: Kites: 12m LF Mig, 9m LF Mig, 5m SS Fuel
Boards: LF proof 151cm, Real Wind 144cm, home made light wind board 160 x 50
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Postby frankm1960 » Fri Dec 17, 2010 2:27 pm

Balloonboy wrote:
frankm1960 wrote:It's not often you hear the words Bahamas and cold in the same sentence :)

Here's some some POLYOLEFIN thermal layering that I use up here in the great white north.

You can get them here...
http://hyperflexusa.com/products/layeri ... -layering/

I use them under my 5/3. Unbelievable extra comfort and warmth. They wick water like nothing else.
Super light weight. I use the shorts and long sleeve shirt option which sounds like what you'd want as well.
That sounds like worth a try- did you see the 50/50 shirt? What do you make of this vs the straight polyolefin to be used under a 3/2 suit:
http://hyperflexusa.com/long-sleeve-5050-polyolefin/

Also hows the sizing- I'm 6' 175lbs 33" waist- Large?
Don't know about the 50/50 shirt. Didn't have that option a few years back when I got my stuff. It looks good though. Which one to pick depends on the price I guess :)

For size, check their size chart here...
http://hyperflexusa.com/size-chart/

JoshNoe
Medium Poster
Local Beach: Matheson Hammock, Crandon Park, Stilltsville, Miami Beach, Aventura, Dania Beach, Fort Lauderdale (Tiki Beach)
Favorite Beaches: Bimini Bay, Boca Chita, Stilltsville, Stone Harbor New Jersey
Style: Freestyle and Race
Gear: Cabrinha Switchblades, Custom 138 Board with Straps, DC Custom Raceboard, NPX Assassin Shorty, 3/3, and 4/3 Fullsuits, NPX Cult Impact Vest.
Brand Affiliation: Brand Manager for NPX and Pryde Waterwear
Location: Brand Manager for NPX and Pryde Waterwear, Americas

Postby JoshNoe » Fri Dec 17, 2010 5:06 pm

Agree with Richie that the NPX Hoodie is a great option. You can wear it over your suit and it makes a huge difference. It's great for wearing on the beach when you're trying to warm up, or even just as a regular hoodie. I'm actually wearing one right now in a cold office.

http://www.npxwetsuits.com/index.php?op ... &Itemid=90

Polypro underlayers are great too as some others have mentioned. They don't provide as much extra warmth as the hoodie in my opinion. However, the nice thing about these is that you can wear them alone for sun protection when it's not that cold. Neilpryde makes a super-stretchy, fleece-lined polypro top:

http://www.neilpryde.com/tops/2010-wint ... s-l-s.html

Let us know what you decide on and how it worked out for you when you get it.
Attachments
TL B036_C1_F.jpg
AC_B275_C1_F.jpg

JoshNoe
Medium Poster
Local Beach: Matheson Hammock, Crandon Park, Stilltsville, Miami Beach, Aventura, Dania Beach, Fort Lauderdale (Tiki Beach)
Favorite Beaches: Bimini Bay, Boca Chita, Stilltsville, Stone Harbor New Jersey
Style: Freestyle and Race
Gear: Cabrinha Switchblades, Custom 138 Board with Straps, DC Custom Raceboard, NPX Assassin Shorty, 3/3, and 4/3 Fullsuits, NPX Cult Impact Vest.
Brand Affiliation: Brand Manager for NPX and Pryde Waterwear
Location: Brand Manager for NPX and Pryde Waterwear, Americas

Postby JoshNoe » Fri Dec 17, 2010 5:13 pm

On another note, I can relate Balloon Boy! We were just out in 4/3s here in Miami last weekend, and I was wearing a shorty at our dealer meeting in Bimini over a month ago. Some of our dealers were wearing fullsuits, in Bimini, in early November!

These past two winters have been unusually cold in this part of the world. Not what I signed up for when I moved to Miami :)

shawntkeating
Medium Poster

Postby shawntkeating » Fri Dec 17, 2010 5:45 pm

I find that in the summer months even throwing on a layer helps keep the chill off due to the wind. Thats the important factor I have noticed about staying warm. It does not take extremes for the body to go into hypothermia.

With that said I were the hyperflex 50/50 all summer and was not hot but it acted as a warm water chill break when you are out of the water all day with the wind. You can also try the polyolefin layers. Both will work for what your looking for.

Balloonboy
Very Frequent Poster

Postby Balloonboy » Fri Dec 17, 2010 7:00 pm

The hoodie looks kewl but kinda bulky for wave riding.
So describe what happens when you actually fall in the water wearing one.

EvanOR
Very Frequent Poster
Location: California, US Sales Ocean Rodeo Kiteboarding/Hyperflex Wetsuits

Postby EvanOR » Fri Dec 17, 2010 7:30 pm

I'd go with the 50/50 shirt. You'll probably find that you end up wearing it by itself on the " coolish " days when a rash guard is not enough but you don't want to wear a shorty. Personally I skip the shortie altogether and go straight to a 3/2 AMP Fullsuit from the 50/50 shirt. And at $39.99 MSRP it's not a big investment. :thumb:

Cheers,

Evan

Ocean Rodeo
Hyperflex Wetsuits

Performance over Hype

Balloonboy
Very Frequent Poster

Postby Balloonboy » Fri Dec 17, 2010 8:31 pm

EvanOR wrote:I'd go with the 50/50 shirt. You'll probably find that you end up wearing it by itself on the " coolish " days when a rash guard is not enough but you don't want to wear a shorty. Personally I skip the shortie altogether and go straight to a 3/2 AMP Fullsuit from the 50/50 shirt. And at $39.99 MSRP it's not a big investment. :thumb:

Cheers,

Evan

Ocean Rodeo
Hyperflex Wetsuits

Performance over Hype
Appreciate the comments but I have a full 3/2 Rip Curl suit which I hate wearing- long arms and legs and hard to get on and off. The 3/2 Mystic shorty with long arms and higher collar just needs a little help. I had a 1mm short sleeve Ripcurl top underneath and that was close, hence my original question about thermo underlayer.

EvanOR
Very Frequent Poster
Location: California, US Sales Ocean Rodeo Kiteboarding/Hyperflex Wetsuits

Postby EvanOR » Fri Dec 17, 2010 10:15 pm

Balloonboy wrote:
EvanOR wrote:I'd go with the 50/50 shirt. You'll probably find that you end up wearing it by itself on the " coolish " days when a rash guard is not enough but you don't want to wear a shorty. Personally I skip the shortie altogether and go straight to a 3/2 AMP Fullsuit from the 50/50 shirt. And at $39.99 MSRP it's not a big investment. :thumb:

Cheers,

Evan

Ocean Rodeo
Hyperflex Wetsuits

Performance over Hype
Appreciate the comments but I have a full 3/2 Rip Curl suit which I hate wearing- long arms and legs and hard to get on and off. The 3/2 Mystic shorty with long arms and higher collar just needs a little help. I had a 1mm short sleeve Ripcurl top underneath and that was close, hence my original question about thermo underlayer.
I think that perhaps you misunderstood my post (?). I am suggesting you use this as an additional layer to your shorty. Depending on how you choose to buy it (to fit loose or snug), and also on the fit of your current shorty, it can be worn under it or over top. The 50/50 shirt will provide more warmth than a simple (non-neo) underlayer. We do have those as well though: http://hyperflexusa.com/long-sleeve-polyolefin/.

Cheers,

Evan

Ocean Rodeo
Hyperflex Wetsuits

Performance over Hype

Balloonboy
Very Frequent Poster

Postby Balloonboy » Fri Dec 17, 2010 10:29 pm

EvanOR wrote:
Balloonboy wrote:

Cheers,

Evan

Ocean Rodeo
Hyperflex Wetsuits

Performance over Hype
I think that perhaps you misunderstood my post (?). I am suggesting you use this as an additional layer to your shorty. Depending on how you choose to buy it (to fit loose or snug), and also on the fit of your current shorty, it can be worn under it or over top. The 50/50 shirt will provide more warmth than a simple (non-neo) underlayer. We do have those as well though: http://hyperflexusa.com/long-sleeve-polyolefin/.

Cheers,

Evan

Ocean Rodeo
Hyperflex Wetsuits

Performance over Hype
Sorry I did misunderstand. If I want to wear it underneath- what size do you reckon- I sort of straddle the sizes on the chart. Again I'm 6', 175lbs, 33 waist. 41" chest- Large?

Return to “Kitesurfing”