Contact   Imprint   Advertising   Guidelines

Heated Wetsuits - Quiksilver, Thermalution, Rip Curl

Forum for kitesurfers
ChristinaD
Rare Poster
Local Beach: Mid-Southern OBX
Favorite Beaches: Windmill Point, Kite Point, OBX Downwinders.
Gear: Best Nemisis
Brand Affiliation: None
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Heated Wetsuits - Quiksilver, Thermalution, Rip Curl

Postby ChristinaD » Sun Feb 06, 2011 1:10 am

I've seen the terrible reviews of the Quiksilver Cypher Vest and all of it's battery problems. $1000 for the RipCurl H-Bomb isn't really in my budget. Has anyone tried the Thermalution Heated Suit? It looks like it is the same idea as Quiksilver, with twice the battery power and a slightly different heating system.

I saw a guy in Avon using one a few weeks ago; I had never heard of them. He had nothing but good things to say about it before taking off on his downwinder. Has anyone else been able to try one of these? Do they work well?

Winter is getting the best of me this year, and I'm sick of this cold. It's been one of the coldest winters in years for NC. I'd love to have a way to fight off that cold North wind. Thanks for any help or review.

Christina

surferpatton
Rare Poster
Local Beach: Wrightsville Beach, NC
Favorite Beaches: South End, Wrightsville Beach, NC
Outer Banks, NC
Style: A bit of everything.
Gear: 2010 11m Cabrinha Nomad
2006 North Jaime Pro 129cm.

Re: Heated Wetsuits - Quiksilver, Thermalution, Rip Curl

Postby surferpatton » Sun Feb 06, 2011 8:35 pm

I would definitely recommend Thermalution. A few of us guys are wearing them around here and swear by them. You can't feel the suit underneath your wetsuit or drysuit, the low temperature setting generates a good deal of warmth for 2.5 hours, and the medium setting is TOASTY warm and will really keep those back muscles loose during a sesh.

I wore the Quicksilver Cypher Vest and wasn't very impressed. The battery was in a horrible location for kiteboarders, and I just didn't get the level of warmth I expected from a battery heated rash guard vest. The Thermalution is a different story and makes a big difference even on Low. The medium setting is by far the most I've ever really wanted; the hottest setting is a little too hot, especially with the harness pressing the warmth into your back. The battery usually lasts me a little over 2 hours, riding constantly on low, switching to medium every now and then if I wind up having to body drag a long way to my board and end up getting flushed and chilled.

TWO 7.4V Lithium Polymer batteries are smaller than an Iphone, and sit much higher and rest just above the top of your harness. They take about 2 hours to recharge from the wall charger. I have not tried the car charger.

But yeah, I'll definitely give the thing a big thumbs up :thumb:! They are sweet! Mine has made my winter sessions MUCH more enjoyable this year!

ChristinaD
Rare Poster

Postby ChristinaD » Tue Feb 08, 2011 2:51 pm

Thanks for the info! I'm in desperate need of some sort of a heated wetsuit if I'm going to enjoy kiting in NE anytime soon! From everything I've found on the net and heard from others, Thermalution seems like a really nice product. I'm going to go ahead and give it a shot and buy one! Is there anyone here in the States selling them?

kiteloopkenny
Rare Poster
Local Beach: Cape Cod
Favorite Beaches: Cabarete Beach
Style: Addicted to KiteLoops
Gear: North Vegas

Postby kiteloopkenny » Tue Feb 08, 2011 7:02 pm

I second that! I bought one from http://www.heatedwetsuits.com, back in December when Winter came on strong. I got it two days later, and haven't kited without it since!

If you are looking for something to take the bite of the wind chill, a Thermalution will definitely do it! The heat is awesome, even on low, and you feel it within about 30 seconds of pushing the button. Your harness presses the lower back heating area into your back, helping you really feel the warmth. Plus, the upper back area gets just as hot, and really keeps the core temperature up. The cold wind on your back just doesn't have a chance. As previous poster said, the batteries are in the perfect place for a kiteboarder, right above the harness and out of the way.

If you like kiting as much as I do, I think you'll be really happy you bought one!

ORSales
Very Frequent Poster

Postby ORSales » Wed Feb 09, 2011 12:52 am

I wouldn't look past the Surf Dry as an option too guys.

Right now you can get the suit for a good discount from any of our retailers as we have a winter promo on, or use the online discount code surfdry20 to get a 20% discount from our store.

ChristinaD
Rare Poster

Postby ChristinaD » Thu Feb 10, 2011 12:15 am

I just ordered my "heated undersuit" from heatedwetsuits.com! Estimated arrival date Friday!

I'm so excited to have a heated wetsuit this weekend! :) I'll let you all know how it turns out; Thanks for the help, guys!

ChristinaD
Rare Poster

Postby ChristinaD » Sat Feb 19, 2011 7:06 pm

:thumb: :thumb:

I have been able to get out and ride with the Thermalution heated suit 4 times now since I received it, and I am kinda in love with it! I am the kind of person who gets cold very easily, so being able to control the temperature of my now heated wetsuit is an awesome perk! I don't have to worry about layers in my drysuit or wearing the right mm wetsuit. If I get cold, I simply push the button....my suit gets warmer!

I have been riding using mostly the low setting, switching back and forth to the Medium setting for extra warmth if I get chilled. To be honest, the hot setting is too hot for me. I've tried turning it all the way up a few times, but after more than about 2 minutes, it's just too hot. So, I stick to the low/medium settings for now.

Thanks again for you all's advice about these heated suits. I am certainly stoked to have my batteries recharging for a possible afternoon sesh! It's going to make my next few months of kiting much more enjoyable!!

ice1969
Medium Poster
Kiting since: 2009
Weight: 180
Local Beach: New Jersey
Favorite Beaches: Anegada / Loblolly Bay, Sandy Spit / Jost Van Dyke
Style: Intermediate
Gear: Slingshot SX 143
Nobile XTR

Postby ice1969 » Mon Aug 08, 2011 2:50 am

Christina, thanks for following up on this. Glad to hear you had a good experience with the Thermalution suit. Just wondering what kind of air and water temps you used it in and with what thinkness and brand of wetsuit/drysuit? Thanks! If any others who've used it with good or bad experience with the suit could offer their experiences and provide info on the air and water temps as well as suit type and thickness, I would greatly appreciate it! Thanks!

plummet
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: EE
Favorite Beaches: NZ
Style: Terrain riding
Gear: Old wornout ozone.
Plummet hydrofoil and mutant

Postby plummet » Mon Aug 08, 2011 5:13 am

yikes lithium polymer battery in a wet suit!!

have you seen what happens to those batteries if water gets in?.... its like your own personal little fireworks going off. No way i'm having a battery in my wet suit. particularily in salt water. nasty nasty nasty.

Whats the temp? surely its goto be pretty damn freezying before you need to heat the wet suit?

i'll also ask the obvious question. are you wearing hoodie, gloves, booties? if not then these will make a huge difference.

Kosh
Very Frequent Poster
Style: Freeride
Gear: Cabrinha Crossbow IDS 9m2
Cabrinha Crossbow IDS 13m2
Cabrinha Imperial 2008 128 board
Brand Affiliation: Promotes Cabrinha for the national distributor.

Postby Kosh » Mon Aug 08, 2011 9:14 am

Interesting undersuit for the cold days in Norway :)

Yes..LiPo batteries can be dangerous.....
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W0tE_ohi ... re=related
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ixIOEPns ... re=related

The Thermalution claims that:
"Thermalution® Undersuit is powered by two Lithium Polymer 7.4V batteries. These are the same type of batteries found in your mobile phone or mp3 player. There is no danger of radiation, electric shock or explosion from these batteries. Batteries are compact and lightweight as a set consists of two 130g batteries. Battery pockets are positioned outside of the undersuit at the sides of the chest, under the arms. It offers maximum freedom of movement and it's easy to change batteries."

Maybe I'll send an email asking before ordering ;)

Return to “Kitesurfing”