Contact   Imprint   Advertising   Guidelines

Michigan or Hatteras???

forum for kitesurfers

TheJoe
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2009
Local Beach: Texas city levee, Galveston, El Jardine and Crystal beach.
Style: Wake, surf, freeride
Gear: Slingshot RPM 14/12/10 Fuels 13/9/7
Brand Affiliation: None

Michigan or Hatteras???

Postby TheJoe » Wed Apr 27, 2011 12:25 am

Which is better in the end of May? Have 2 weeks to burn after the SPI round up. Can't decide where to go. I have family in Mi. but if it's not windy don't want to waste time going there when season will be over here soon.

Toby
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2000
Local Beach: Cumbuco, Brazil
Barra do Cauipe, Brazil
Style: Airstyle
Gear: Rebel 2015 18
Brand Affiliation: None.

Re: Michigan or Hatteras???

Postby Toby » Wed Apr 27, 2011 1:39 am

don't know Michigan, but Hatteras is just soooo nice! The flats are awesome, plus you can get some wave action if the wind blows right.

sojopo
Medium Poster
Kiting since: 2010
Local Beach: Tawas, Metro Beach, Michigan, USA
Favorite Beaches: Tawas
Style: noobie
Gear: 12m Cabrinha Convert, OR Mako King

Postby sojopo » Wed Apr 27, 2011 2:33 am

Let's be honest, I live in MI and if I could, I'd bust it to Hatty tomorrow. But, if you gotta see family, know this, that there is plenty of wind here so far this month, and you can expect it in May as well. Cold, though, bring your wetsuits. And fresh water. If you haven't kited in this much fresh water, it's worth the trip. Later.

Jahmi
Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 0

Postby Jahmi » Wed Apr 27, 2011 5:00 am

That's a tough call they both have a lot to offer and it's possible to be skunked at both. What part of MI? I recently moved from the Detroit area to California and have the blues because it's not as good around here. If your heading to hatty to ride the sound Lk St Clair has lot's of similar type spots and even slicks that rival Planet Of the Apes and Kite Point. If your in Detroit area there's a big local crew and they use session alert to communicate about where to ride and current conditions. There's also a local forum at kiteMI that everybody keeps an eye on. They are a great bunch of guys and if the wind is there you will not be dissapointed.

edt
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: ford lake Michigan
Gear: slingshot liquid force wainman pansh naish north cwb burton ronix rpm ozone

Postby edt » Wed Apr 27, 2011 5:20 am

what sojopo said. we have a lot of interesting spots, and we get some wind, lake superior, lake huron, lake michigan, lake erie, lake st clair, 4 times more coast line than california. but even with over 3,000 miles of coastline hatteras is just better. We do have plenty of variety that part is nice.

POACHER
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2002
Gear: EAGLE 1X12

Postby POACHER » Wed Apr 27, 2011 6:31 am

Not baggin' on Michigan at all, as I'm their neighbor to the north, but........seriously? Not a comparison at all imo.

Hatteras hands down. You have everything a kiter could ask for there: flatwater, waves, epic downwinders, more consistent wind and did I mention waves? The water will be warmer in Hatteras by far. Cold water can kiss my ass if I have a choice of places to go.

Again.....I got nothin' but love for ya Michicken. :allbegood:
If you haven't experienced Hatteras yet, you owe yourself as a kiter to go to your Mecca.

Your family will understand. :cool2:

sojopo
Medium Poster
Local Beach: Tawas, Metro Beach, Michigan, USA
Favorite Beaches: Tawas
Style: noobie
Gear: 12m Cabrinha Convert, OR Mako King

Postby sojopo » Fri Apr 29, 2011 12:43 am

Yah, just to clarify, if it's the same distance, and the same cost (hatty is dirt cheap this time of year) AND you've never been there, go to hatteras. But as a consolation prize, MI is beautiful. Metro is 30min for me, Tawas 3 hrs. Salvo is 15 hours. Sigh.

edt
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: ford lake Michigan
Gear: slingshot liquid force wainman pansh naish north cwb burton ronix rpm ozone

Postby edt » Fri Apr 29, 2011 12:56 am

sojopo wrote:Yah, just to clarify, if it's the same distance, and the same cost (hatty is dirt cheap this time of year) AND you've never been there, go to hatteras. But as a consolation prize, MI is beautiful. Metro is 30min for me, Tawas 3 hrs. Salvo is 15 hours. Sigh.
tawas is beautiful pristine on clear lake huron just a spit of land, eastern lake michigan is beautiful, rural sand dunes and forests, but metro . . . beautiful? metro is . . . it smells like the clinton river, we both know what that bubbling smell is like, the banks are lined with rebar and concrete, there is no sand, just a muddy slime pit at the launch, if you drop your kite in the bowl it comes up with 100 pounds of algae because the zebra mussels screwed up the ecosystem, every year a half dozen kites end up the trees, and most the time you have to hot launch your kite on land next to the parking lot because of the wind shadow.

Ok. You're right it is beautiful, especially at sunset when that lifty south thermal kicks.

TheJoe
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2009
Local Beach: Texas city levee, Galveston, El Jardine and Crystal beach.
Style: Wake, surf, freeride
Gear: Slingshot RPM 14/12/10 Fuels 13/9/7

Postby TheJoe » Fri Apr 29, 2011 1:38 am

Michigan is beautiful in the spring I know. I grew up there so it would be my immediate family and my childhood friends I would be seeing. Would be kiting either between Traverse and Tawas since I'm from Grayling and my best friend lives right outside of Traverse City. I have not been to Hatteras and I'm kinda bummed that I have to be back to work the day the Triple S kicks off :angryfire:! I'm really leaning toward Michigan just hate wearing a wetsuit since I have put them up for the year but the idea of not getting my daily dose of salt intake every time I crash does sound nice.

kylek
Medium Poster
Kiting since: 2003
Local Beach: Metro, Kobyashi
Favorite Beaches: Guajiru, Salvo
Gear: old north stuff

Postby kylek » Fri Apr 29, 2011 3:04 am

Cannot wait to get back to Metro!

Return to “Kitesurfing”