Michigan or Hatteras???

forum for kitesurfers

Jahmi
Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 0
Brand Affiliation: None

Re: Michigan or Hatteras???

Postby Jahmi » Fri Apr 29, 2011 4:54 am

kylek wrote:Cannot wait to get back to Metro!

I hear you on that one. I've got the stanky water here but not that sweet Metro Magic. I'll see you this summer when I'm in town running the Old Man's Lund out to the goods.

jrfiol
Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2009
Local Beach: Cayo Enrique, La Parguera; Montones Beach, Isabela; Dorado Beach, Dorado.
Favorite Beaches: Not yet.
Style: waverider, freestyle
Gear: Slingshot RPM 10, Darko 135. I also have a Liquid Force Havoc 12 and Rally 14M.

Postby jrfiol » Fri Apr 29, 2011 1:33 pm

the guys from broneah in michigan would state that michigan is teh most beautiful place in teh world. ive seen pics and have to say the place does look real cool.

i like the warm better

D_Clark
Very Frequent Poster

Postby D_Clark » Fri Apr 29, 2011 4:32 pm

Michigan is unique and a fantastic place to ride, when its on there is no better place. Its just not on that often. I'm from TC and I miss riding the fresh water with out the crowds down here in SPI, but its full drysuits up north and I have only needed a shorty once in the past 3 weeks here in the warmth of South Texas. Its also windy enough to ride 5 to 7 days a week and in Michigan you are lucky to get 3 days a week in the spring even less in mid summer.

I can't speak for Hatteras that time of year, but that is going to be the start of high season for the islands. and it wont be cheap like it can be. In June it gets HOT down here in SPI and the winds die down and become more thermal and not the usual 20-30 we have right now.

Watch the temps, its been a very cold spring and Michigan waters are going to take a long time to warm up. Especially true for the deep waters around Traverse City. Heck they had over a foot of snow last week. I would expect it to be cold water in june this year. I usually don't put my steamer away until late july anyways. as 50 Degree water can happen anytime if the winds churn the lakes.

- DC

waynepjh
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 1999
Gear: Ozone edges and c4
Brand Affiliation: Ozone team rider

Postby waynepjh » Fri Apr 29, 2011 10:17 pm

My parents just moved back to michigan! Now I am going to travel home with my kites! I have seen lots of pics but where are the vids from michigan? dam i just did a hijack! sorry

TheJoe
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Texas city levee, Galveston, El Jardine and Crystal beach.
Style: Wake, surf, freeride
Gear: Slingshot RPM 14/12/10 Fuels 13/9/7

Postby TheJoe » Sat Apr 30, 2011 3:00 am

D_Clark wrote:Michigan is unique and a fantastic place to ride, when its on there is no better place. Its just not on that often. I'm from TC and I miss riding the fresh water with out the crowds down here in SPI, but its full drysuits up north and I have only needed a shorty once in the past 3 weeks here in the warmth of South Texas. Its also windy enough to ride 5 to 7 days a week and in Michigan you are lucky to get 3 days a week in the spring even less in mid summer.

I can't speak for Hatteras that time of year, but that is going to be the start of high season for the islands. and it wont be cheap like it can be. In June it gets HOT down here in SPI and the winds die down and become more thermal and not the usual 20-30 we have right now.

Watch the temps, its been a very cold spring and Michigan waters are going to take a long time to warm up. Especially true for the deep waters around Traverse City. Heck they had over a foot of snow last week. I would expect it to be cold water in june this year. I usually don't put my steamer away until late july anyways. as 50 Degree water can happen anytime if the winds churn the lakes.

- DC
Yeah I heard about that snow when I was talking to my mom last week on Easter. I hate that cold and the wind has been great here in Houston and I hate the idea of putting my 5/3 and booties on to go kiting this time of year. But I can take a trip there now and go to Hatty for the Triple S next year :jump: !

Jahmi
Frequent Poster

Postby Jahmi » Sun May 01, 2011 12:54 am

waynepjh wrote:My parents just moved back to michigan! Now I am going to travel home with my kites! I have seen lots of pics but where are the vids from michigan? dam i just did a hijack! sorry
Search ... Detroit Kiteboarding, Lk St. Clair Kiteboarding, Gull Island Kiteboarding on youtube and you will get some Lk St Clair action.

Dj A-Ron
Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Cass Lake MI
Port Huron MI (Lake Huron)
Metro Beach MI (Lake St. Clair)
Harsens Island MI (Lake St. Clair)
Favorite Beaches: Tawas MI (Lake Huron)
Oscoda MI (Lake Huron)
Little Sable Point MI (Lake Michigan)
The Flats (Key West)
Anywhere in Cape Hatteras
Kite Beach (Maui)
La Ventana (Mexico)
Barkers (Grand Caymen)
Style: Freeride/Freestyle
Gear: Kites: Epic Renegade 9m 3G, Airush Lithium 12m & 14m, Blade Fat Lady 17m

Boards: Epic Droid, Oxygen, Spartan, Airush Cypher 5'6"

Postby Dj A-Ron » Mon May 02, 2011 4:25 am

I just recently visited Hatteras and I have lived in Michigan my entire life. I know it like the back of my left hand wearing a mitten......get it...?

Anyway, Hatteras is sooooo sick! There are unlimited kite spots. It's so nice that you can ride any wind direction and also have your choice of flat water or waves. I only visited Hatteras for four days but I kited every day. It's not a tropical or scenic location but it is the best kite location I have visited. I've been to Hawaii (Maui, Oahu, and Kuai), Key West, Aruba, Grand Caymen plus a few others and Hatteras trumps them all in my book. It was a guys kite trip so we had tons of fun. If we would have brought our wives and girlfriends it wouldn't have been as fun I don't think. There's not much around for non-kiters to do that I could see. I could be wrong about this. Maybe someone else knows of non-kiter activities in Hatteras.

Michigan is also an excellent kite location. It's very very different. Of course it is fresh water which is nice but also its northern locations are some of the most scenic and beautiful places you can kite and visit. But, the wind isn't allways on. The wind around the state is always changing because of all the lakes that surround it.

I live in the south east region of the state, near Lake St. Clair. There are more than a dozen kite spots worth visiting. Tawas (Lk. Huron) is one of the coolest and most populated for kiters. Traverse City area is not very populated with kiters but has spots to ride on almost any wind direction. All the way down the west side of the state is nice. Little Point Sable, Muskeegon are just a couple of the well known spots.

I hope this helps. If you end up going to Michigan PM me and I can give you some excellent spots to ride.

crash&burn
Frequent Poster

Postby crash&burn » Mon May 02, 2011 12:38 pm

i am a wisconsin based great lakes kiter of about 10 years. If you are traveling for kiteboarding then Hatteras is a no brainer. I just got back yesterday from the OBX riding everyday for 2 weeks in shorties and board shorts. I hear may is even better than April. If sightseeing and other activities are planned for your trip then MI offers more. If Kiteboarding is the reason for the trip then there is no question OBX, you can get the waves you didn't get in SPI

Return to “Kitesurfing”