Best
Shinn
TKF
ConceptAir
Zeeko
Brand Affiliation: None

Kite Launch Anchor

Postby irwe » Mon May 09, 2011 3:19 pm

At our local site (lake, sandy bottom. ~ 3 1/2 ft deep) We plan on putting out a kite launch anchor out in the water since there are too many trees close to shore to lauch from shore.

I would like some ideas for the anchor. I was thinking of putting a large patio stone down with a hole in the middle. Thourgh the hole I would place a small chain and secure it to the undersurface of the patio stone. I would then attach a small rope to the chain with a floating bouy. From the floating bouy I would attach a second rope with a Cabineer to attach to the chicken loop for lauching and landing.
Patio stone since flat. Any other ideas? I don't want to reivent the wheel if it's already out there.

southflorida
Medium Poster
Style: flat water, go fast, practice tricks
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Re: Kite Launch Anchor

Postby southflorida » Mon May 09, 2011 3:58 pm

Concrete weighs about half when under water. A heavy flat patio stone is good if you can get it to sink (or bury it) some 6-12 inches into the sand. If it is on the surface of the sand, me thinks a kite will be able to pull it around, and if the kite truly powers up, it could drag quite far. Of course, that shouldn't happen, but you should plan for the worst case. In my experience the worst case is in wind that drops out briefly, allowing the kite to collapse at the edge of the window, and then power up in some random orientation.

Also, sinking the stone into sand prevents stubbed toes.

ronnie
Very Frequent Poster

Postby ronnie » Mon May 09, 2011 6:35 pm

So far, I've always used polyethylene rope, which has a density of 0.91. I've always tied it round an existing rock so far, and in the sea. Seaweed tends to weight down the rope, so I usually attach a float made from a 1 litre milk jug with the cap sealed on.
I just use a loop on the end of the rope like in this series.
http://www.dlightcanarias.net/crossbowl ... launch.htm

In the past, I considered getting a long heavy duty plastic bag and carrying bags of dry readymix cement out to it. As you empty each bag of cement in, add the correct amount of water. Build it up until you are nearly finished and then put one end of the chain in before the last couple of bags of cement.

Uride2
Medium Poster

Postby Uride2 » Mon May 09, 2011 8:32 pm

I use a real boat mooring Anchor.
Set it up specifically for kiting, but will hold a 23 foot boat, in wind, as well.
Metal chain, from anchor to buoy ball.
Heavy rope with a metal loop, to chain which is through the buoy ball.

To be safe, I didn't want my kite to move the anchor at all.
Works very well.

SandiBottom
Rare Poster

Postby SandiBottom » Mon May 09, 2011 9:14 pm

this is what i use and its great for in water use or in dry sand,,
http://emeraldcoastkiteboarding.com/new ... -tool.html
kite anchor..
i put a float on the line when i install it in the water so clip is always at top of water

Kitemare123
Rare Poster

Postby Kitemare123 » Thu May 12, 2011 10:41 am

Hi guys!

Now, I'm not trying to offend or be a smart ass here...so don't take it that way! But I have never understood the need for a kite anchor to launch.

In what circumstance is this necessary? I personally self launch my kite on a regular basis, sometimes on quite small beaches and I never feel like there is a problem with this.

Let me know guys!

And to add something constructive to your actual thread - A patio weight thing is probably no where near heavy enough unless you can really bury it well. I would say that a fully powered kite could pull like a boat.

ronnie
Very Frequent Poster

Postby ronnie » Thu May 12, 2011 11:27 am

Kitemare123 wrote:Hi guys!

Now, I'm not trying to offend or be a smart ass here...so don't take it that way! But I have never understood the need for a kite anchor to launch.

In what circumstance is this necessary? I personally self launch my kite on a regular basis, sometimes on quite small beaches and I never feel like there is a problem with this.

Let me know guys!

And to add something constructive to your actual thread - A patio weight thing is probably no where near heavy enough unless you can really bury it well. I would say that a fully powered kite could pull like a boat.
If you're comparing to a spin launch, less wear on the leading edge.
Allows you to check for snagging or any errors before you are attached to the kite.
With drift launching there is a possibility of my kite flipping over through the lines as there are stones on the bottom and I have to drift it by feeding out the lines, so I can see the problem before being attached to the kite.
On a sandy bottom, with the lines out and untangled, the chickenloop can be anchored and the kite walked over to one side and set at a stable angle to the wind and allowed to drift downwind into a launch position.

SandiBottom
Rare Poster

Postby SandiBottom » Thu May 12, 2011 12:53 pm

i think the launch is pretty easy stuff to do but the landing in high winds some times can be a little sketchy...specially if you in a small launch are then you can put kite anchor in water and do landing in water ,,,

Uride2
Medium Poster

Postby Uride2 » Thu May 12, 2011 2:42 pm

Deep Water! No way to have any footing to hold your ground with the deep water. Wind would pull you into a rocky shoreline, docks, etc. Buoy Launch keeps everything manageable until your ready to go.

Not ideal, but play the hand your dealt.
Kitemare123 wrote:Hi guys!

Let me know guys!

kitester
Very Frequent Poster

Postby kitester » Thu May 12, 2011 2:46 pm

The anchor system that screws into the bottom is DANGEROUS! We have had two local instances where they have pulled out. In one case the anchor went through the air and hit the guy trying to launch the kite. In another instance one of the guys at our beach used to dig a hole, screw in the anchor, hammer in a stake and bury the hole thing. To get it out you had to dig down next to it about two feet. Last month the kite powered up and not only pulled the whole mess out of the ground but bent the metal rod the screw was attached to. DONT use that method of self launching.

Return to “Kitesurfing”