Rare Poster
Local Beach: Northumberland
Style: waves
Brand Affiliation: None
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

is Maui any good ?

Postby nepd » Thu Aug 04, 2011 11:26 am

We are wanting to plan a trip for late Oct and fancy Maui as a destination . However we can't find much info about the kite scene there apart from kite beach which looks a bit over crowded and choppy . All the reviews seem to be making it look like predominantly a windsurfers island and all the action on YouTube looks like freestyle or dated .
We are interested in wave destinations but are the main beaches reserved for windsurf only ? Any info is much appreciated .

pj sofine
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2001
Style: silly
Gear: naish pivots 9,11, rpm 7,8,10,12 cf raptor ltd 136,140

Re: is Maui any good ?

Postby pj sofine » Thu Aug 04, 2011 1:29 pm

I f I was looking for a kiting only vacation I'd skip maui. Very limited access for the average visiting
kiter. It can be gusty, but that depends on what your used to.Can be expensive,again that's relative.
If your used to miles of wide open beaches ( like Hatteras) you"ll be disapointed.Long flights!
That being said I would go at least once. My best vacations have been on maui.There is so much
to do. I go for 3 weeks at a time and always hate to leave. Oh and scores of 6' tall euro chicks
everywhere. :D

kitenaked
Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Sherman Island - NorCal
Area 51
Style: not naked
Brand Affiliation: Kite Naked, JN Kites, Cabrinha, Shinn & Wainman

Postby kitenaked » Thu Aug 04, 2011 11:14 pm

there are other things to do on the island...but pj was right with the strong wind..definatley not for a beginner.,worth going at least once. I go every summer for a week or two. 5th year straight.

There is not really a kite "scene". maybe a little mellower in terms of wind in October vs the summer.

Some places to checkout

Haleakala Sunrise
Molokini Snorkeling Trip
Iao Valley for apre kite fresh water river play

nepd
Rare Poster
Local Beach: Northumberland
Style: waves

Postby nepd » Fri Aug 05, 2011 9:22 pm

Looking to paddle board in the and kite in the afternoon .

longwhitecloud
Very Frequent Poster
Style: Master Baiter. Oracle of windsport.
Gear: 2 sets of Flysurfer VMGs 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14 15, 18. Foilboards ( Masts 75 90 110 125 Wings 880 950 1100 1350 1750) all with Ronix Ones attached. Soon to retire to Wingfoiling.

Postby longwhitecloud » Fri Aug 05, 2011 9:39 pm

It's not bad. its main flaw is lack of huge flat water/slicks and sometimes too windy for beginner and some intermediate, also kite beaches are not really that nice - there are nice beaches on maui tho. Kite holidays do a have the dilemma of there being no wind - in june july however this is not possible so maui is just one of the most reliable places for wind on earth at this time. Being from nz i would describe it as being a little bit gusty but not too bad. October u might get some ground swell - great waves on reefs. I been a few times and I really like riding there, powered, great for boosting non stop, bit of freestyle behind the rock pile, cruise out to the reef for some wave action and then eat a shit load of food -repeat until your body fails to be able to move freely - usually about after 2 days of riding for me when i wish i had done 150 situps a day for a month prior.

windmaker
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: .
Style: Strapless surf and foil
Gear: F-One & Aeros kites/ HB surf/ Taaroa foil/ Manera

Postby windmaker » Sat Aug 06, 2011 5:42 am

Hi,

I will be in Maui for the hole month of November. I am very experienced in waveriding and would like to primarely ride Lanes since Hookipa is off limits to kites. Is it true that you need assistance to launch and land kites at Lanes.. If so is that due to a wind shadow or beach configuration ?

I was told that Kanaha can also be very good for waves and basically that's it ! Are they any other real wave riding spots ?

Thanks

Christophe

aman
Medium Poster

Postby aman » Sat Aug 06, 2011 12:23 pm

I have been to Maui a few times. It is really good for windsurfing. It is nice for kiting but nothing special. You have to go to the most unatractive beach.The waves at Kanaha/kitebeach can be really nice but you need a very decent swell and If you go a bit to far upwind to get nicer waves the windsurfers keep yelling at you.

They have not seen the commercial importance of kiting as Brazil or Cabarete For example.

The island itself is super nice .

adamj2281
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2009
Local Beach: Charleston, SC - Folly Beach
Favorite Beaches: Folly Beach, Wrightsville Beach, Playa Avellanas, Barker's, GC, East End, St. Croix,VI
Style: Surf mostly, some freeride
Gear: Ocean Rodeo Roam 7,12
Ocean Rodeo Crave 9
5'2" North Whip CSC
5'4" Tomo Hydroshort
Nobile 2HD
Slingshot H4 Batwing foil
Brand Affiliation: Ocean Rodeo

Postby adamj2281 » Sat Aug 06, 2011 1:19 pm

Yeah I went two Octobers ago, I wish I could go back now that I'm a bit more experienced of a kiteboarder. It's definitely not a spot if you are learning, or do not have terrific kite skills, launching can be a bit tricky.

Also, if you are coming from the east coast, 18 - 22 knots in Maui feels a lot stronger than it does here, I just know that I can hold down a 10m with no issues in 18-22 here, there - I almost got dragged.

pj sofine
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2001
Style: silly
Gear: naish pivots 9,11, rpm 7,8,10,12 cf raptor ltd 136,140

Postby pj sofine » Sat Aug 06, 2011 1:41 pm

windmaker wrote:Hi,

I will be in Maui for the hole month of November. I am very experienced in waveriding and would like to primarely ride Lanes since Hookipa is off limits to kites. Is it true that you need assistance to launch and land kites at Lanes.. If so is that due to a wind shadow or beach configuration ?

I was told that Kanaha can also be very good for waves and basically that's it ! Are they any other real wave riding spots ?

Thanks

Christophe
Take a look at google maps/earth and zoom in on hookipa,then check the coastline west to mama's
fishhouse, you'll see the launch, landing situation. If it looks sketchy, you should see it in person :(

jteabird
Frequent Poster

Postby jteabird » Sat Aug 06, 2011 2:57 pm

are you kidding me?? Maui is the mecca of the world, I have been there kiting over 15 times and have only had two non kiteable days. Maui turns boys into men and will put hair on your chest after kiting there a few weeks you will be able to handle just about any conditions in the world.

Return to “Kitesurfing”