Favorite Beaches: Key West, Lake Michigan
Style: Learning
Gear: LF Havoc 14, 8, Eclipse Nano 6
Brand Affiliation: None
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Sector 60 V2 or Venturi?

Postby stvandev » Tue Aug 09, 2011 12:29 am

So a little on the fence about what to get. Looking for something to ride in light wind and do some racing. At this point not sure how much racing. Would prefer to have something that is easy to handle but still fast. Anyone have experience with these? Also, any idea of ship dates for the Airush or the 2012 Venturi? I'm 6'3" and 200 lbs if that makes a difference. Thanks.

gotwind
Frequent Poster
Local Beach: The Flats, Tunnels, Wailua, The Pu, Kingdoms
Favorite Beaches: The Flats,Tunnels, and Waiehu
Style: wakestyle
Gear: Airush
Brand Affiliation: Airush Team Rider

Re: Sector 60 V2 or Venturi?

Postby gotwind » Tue Aug 09, 2011 1:06 am

No comment on the Venturi but the Sector is a really easy board to ride but has that ability to go fast. At your weight the 60 should be perfect. Id also consider the monaro if you are looking for something faster

tautologies
Very Frequent Poster

Postby tautologies » Tue Aug 09, 2011 1:36 am

stvandev wrote:So a little on the fence about what to get. Looking for something to ride in light wind and do some racing. At this point not sure how much racing. Would prefer to have something that is easy to handle but still fast. Anyone have experience with these? Also, any idea of ship dates for the Airush or the 2012 Venturi? I'm 6'3" and 200 lbs if that makes a difference. Thanks.
Hey, so there are different considerations.

First it is flotation. A board that has volume will get you going and have you continue in light winds.
Second I'd say is fin size. Bigger fins are a little "harder" to ride in the beginning, but will provide better low end as you get better..the drive on the fins helps you generate apparent wind. You do not want to ride a raceboard on a rail. Many times it has been explained as trying to ride the leeward rail. Push with your toes.
Third is the number of fins. Well most ride thrusters as they are a better compromise between drive and control. I've only barely tried a quad, so I'm actually just referring to what people like Rista and Aguera has said. Quads are tracking going fast unless the fins are small.
Finally width will give you stability and the board will sit tighter on the water.

There are ton of other considerations, but the main ones.

I've ridden the small and middle naish boards quite a lot, and the middle one is a lot easier to ride flat, but the small with small fins are easier to start out on. At your weight you might want to consider getting the wider board.

A wider board will also be more stable and it has more volume. The max width for competition is 70 cm, so most brands will develop that spec.

I do not know much about the Airush board.

Last I heard of Naish boards are they should be in a few weeks to month. I dunno tho.
Key for racing is to get your buddy to get one too, and challenge each other. It is a ton of fun. We race for beer, and then you can feed off each other and learn new techniques.

Gotwind: Do you guys race on Kauai?

gotwind
Frequent Poster

Postby gotwind » Tue Aug 09, 2011 1:54 am

tautologies wrote:
stvandev wrote:
Gotwind: Do you guys race on Kauai?

I live on Oahu now but no. Ive never seen a race board on Kauai. Too Shallow at most of the spots we kite and the spots that arent reef have waves.

Puetz
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2003
Local Beach: Casuarina Beach
Rapic Creek
Lee Point
Buffallo Creek
Favorite Beaches: Old Woman Rock, Darwin
Oka Point, Sanuar, Bali
Phan Rang, Vietnam
Cemetary's, Mui Ne, Vietnam
Point Moore, Hells Gates, Geraldton, Western Australia
Rapid Creek, Darwin, Australia
Lee Point, Darwin, Australia (my local spot)
Nugas/Lakey Peak, Sumbawa
Marion Bay, Tasmania
Long Beach, Robe, South Australia
Style: Foil/Wave/Freeride
Gear: Duotone 13m Juice 2020
Duotone Neo 9m
North Rebel 2014 7m
Duotone Pace 4'10 Foilboard with Carve 950 + GT 90cm mast
North Nugget 5'3" Surfboard
Cyclone Surfboard 6'0"

Postby Puetz » Tue Aug 09, 2011 4:46 am

... I can't comment on the Venturi but the Sector 60 V2 is a great board and is one of my favorite boards now. In my opinion it is not as fast as my old North Race LTD 2010 but it is waaaaaay more fun.

I found the Sector is sooooo stable downwind, I don't get the leg burn I used to on my North but again, its not as fast and if your racing then a full on race board is in order. I think the guys at Airush were aiming for fun light wind abilities over sheer speed and they have certainly done it.

If you want fun gybes, great upwind and no leg burn downwinders then this is the light wind board for you. And don't get me wrong but the sector is fast, just not the fastest out there, but it is in my opinion, the funnest for sure.

cheers,

Robbie

ps I paid full price for my board, I'm not sponsored, just a happy customer passing on my opinions of a great board.

Rex
Frequent Poster

Postby Rex » Tue Aug 09, 2011 8:37 am

stvandev wrote:So a little on the fence about what to get. Looking for something to ride in light wind and do some racing. At this point not sure how much racing. Would prefer to have something that is easy to handle but still fast. Anyone have experience with these? Also, any idea of ship dates for the Airush or the 2012 Venturi? I'm 6'3" and 200 lbs if that makes a difference. Thanks.
Hi, I ride the sector v1. It is very different from dedicated race boards. I ride mine strapless and just love it. Both in completely flat water and also when there's a bit of chop to ollie and do strapless fun on. The fact that you have the back foot in the center of the board and its relatively low weight makes it fun in other ways than dedicated race boards. It's a completely different thing.

BTW: If you're in an area with sea weed, get yourself a set of sea weed fins!!!

/ Rex

tautologies
Very Frequent Poster

Postby tautologies » Tue Aug 09, 2011 7:49 pm

gotwind wrote:
I live on Oahu now but no. I've never seen a race board on Kauai. Too Shallow at most of the spots we kite and the spots that arent reef have waves.
Hey, do you ever come down to Kailua? You should join in. We try to do some casual races every now and then. Just for fun. And for beer. :-)

gotwind
Frequent Poster

Postby gotwind » Wed Aug 10, 2011 12:18 am

tautologies wrote:
gotwind wrote:
I live on Oahu now but no. I've never seen a race board on Kauai. Too Shallow at most of the spots we kite and the spots that arent reef have waves.
Hey, do you ever come down to Kailua? You should join in. We try to do some casual races every now and then. Just for fun. And for beer. :-)
Ya. I come down to kailua as much as i can. I dont own an race baords ive just had the oppurtunity to try all the airush boards. Not to mentiion i just dislocated my shoulder this past weekend at kailua. Ill be the only one down there on Airush kites.

tautologies
Very Frequent Poster

Postby tautologies » Wed Aug 10, 2011 7:28 am

gotwind wrote:
tautologies wrote: Ya. I come down to kailua as much as i can. I dont own an race baords ive just had the oppurtunity to try all the airush boards. Not to mentiion i just dislocated my shoulder this past weekend at kailua. Ill be the only one down there on Airush kites.
Any chance you'll get a raceboard? Take care of the shoulder, and I'll see you in the water. I'll be on the big charger in no wind :-)

Return to “Kitesurfing”