Local Beach: Space coast Florida 5th street
Favorite Beaches: One block from condo
Style: surfboard strap waves transitions
Gear: Boards quads & tri
Kites19-17-12-10-8-6-5 sqm
Has thanked: 0

Re: kite bar adjustment 4 short arms

Postby SupaEZ » Fri Sep 23, 2011 7:46 pm

Sorry "dvayu" about misspelling your name. :)

Bille
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Lake Mohave
Gear: Ozone Edge
Brand Affiliation: Barz Optics
Jaybar Dynabar V7

Postby Bille » Fri Sep 23, 2011 8:54 pm

Last edited by Bille on Thu Sep 07, 2017 3:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.

dvayu
Rare Poster
Local Beach: Leo Carillo and Belmont Shore, Los Angeles
Favorite Beaches: All where is good wind
Style: freestyle, jumping
Gear: Slingshot RPM, Rally, Octane
Brand Affiliation: None
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Postby dvayu » Sat Sep 24, 2011 6:20 am

hey you all, 

thanks for suggestion and advices. You guys are awesome. I know we are all set in our way of thinking and forum like this helps to brake that and come with new ideas. I like to pick your brain and based on your answers I believe we can figure it out how to shorten my existing bar.

Thank you also for suggestion and pictures/ videos of different bars. (GK, North, Switch). ;) actually I bought switch bar about 2 months ago. It is good bar with adjustable throw, spinner, stopper bal and lot of good stuff. But I find out it didn't make me happy as my original bar. I guess because it's not as simple and light . And I really like light stuff (including woman ;-).

KiteboardingTampaBay = great link, I think GK may be great solution, but I would ilke to find out if there is anything you would suggest to ozone bar, any good ideas welcome ;)
voodospirit = thanks, I will keep my harness more dow, I try to shorn chicken loop and I will look into options how to shorten front and rear lies without sacrificing quality .
Andrew = man you are like a mac gyver
kitesurferRO = great vids man
sfpete = great point pete, I can talk only about switch but that is basically how is done. I wouldn't mind to have that done on my ozone bar, but just once and for all. The switch ( and I think GK) have a cleat for it so you can do it as you need, but I find that extra think on bar is not for me. however you got it ;)
SupaEZ=my buddy Henry got north kite, I tried it and I like it, it is great jumping kite but I really love my edge and I like to stick to it ;)
Bille = LOL I saw that QR long time ago, that is old school man. Great if is work, then that's all what matters right. I can just see my self to use that instead of chicken loop because I still like to hook and unhook once a while. Man I totally hear you with your light friend. I got kite buddy she weight nothing and always get kite time when most of us watch it from beach ;)

So I was hoping you can help me with ideas how to shorten my existing bar.

The goal is to have same or close depower/power and have shorter throw.
solutions :
- shorten chicken loop, (how would I go over it I don't know yet but that definitely helps.
- if I want to keep factory characteristics and shorten a throw, I would have to cut little bit of throw line (black covered in cable) which will result in shorten front lines and thus I should also shorten rear lines.
- find some kind of stopper ball and ad it to a throw line
- I could try to extend depower line by moving it little bit more towards a bar.

I think this may work what do you guys think. Yes, yes, yes, it may be easier to buy some other bar, but I like to learn and be resourceful with my older stuff, learn how to modify it for my own needs ;) So if you have any more ides, suggestions, pictures or vid, please keep them coming.

you guys are awesome, thanks for all help
Attachments
Screen Shot 2011-09-23 at 10.19.21 PM.png

TheJoe
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Texas city levee, Galveston, El Jardine and Crystal beach.
Style: Freeride, Foil, Surf, a lil freestyle
Gear: North Reach 7,9,12
Brunotti TT
Moses 633/483
Dwarfcraft Micro

Postby TheJoe » Sat Sep 24, 2011 7:00 am

I'm short as well. 5'4" so I know your pain that is unless your shorter than that. From your original post it sounds to me like your problem is not the throw but trimming. The only reason you should need a shorter throw is if you can not reach the bar at the end of it. It is easy to just add a stopper ball or move one that might all ready be on the centerline.

Trimming is getting the proper angle of attack out of your kite. This is done thru line connections, trim strap ( not depower but trim strap this is what it is for ), and finally the bar. If you change your bar position when you lean back then you should change your trim at the trim strap to adjust the kites angle hence what you call power. What your calling power is not power but increased bar pressure from over sheeting the kite and having it sit deeper in the wind window.

You can all so try edging harder upwind and fly the kite a little higher. This will push the kite to the edge of the window and give you the same effect as letting the bar out or "depowering" the kite, but it will wear you out fast.

I fly with my bar trimmed so that bar is against the chicken loop giving my self an inch or two for minor adjustments. This a combination in kite position, board, and thru the bar. This way when I unhook I don't have to retrim the kite before and after the trick.

I hate the words depower and power. There are 2 things that give a kite power and that is the kite and wind. Everything else is just manipulating those 2 things to either give it more or less "power".

Ice101
Very Frequent Poster
Gear: Free ride want to branch into strapless riding and more freestyle

Postby Ice101 » Thu Sep 07, 2017 1:45 pm

Can you still reach the depower if you adjust the throw. Girlfriend has short arms and having problems.

nothing2seehere
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2012
Weight: 72
Local Beach: Calshot, Hayling, Meon - Southcoast UK
Gear: Duotone Rebel, Evo SLS, Flysurfer Soul/Peak, Ocean rodeo jester, Airush Ultra, shinn boards

Postby nothing2seehere » Thu Sep 07, 2017 2:11 pm

Holy thread resurrections batman!

Changing the height of the trim block is the easiest way to adjust it. It doesn't change the level of sheeting available (except for rare cases like the old Ocean Rodeo roll over bridles that needed the bar to shoot out of reach of short arms) but offers the chance to bring the trim sweet spot back into range. Its possible on most non-sheathed (plastic coated) trim lines.

Alternatively, this could be the opportunity you need to get a new rear line trimming bar into the house :-)
The Click bar and shift bar both would have easy trim adjustment always within hand reach.

Or - go below the bar trim?

ronnie
Very Frequent Poster

Postby ronnie » Thu Sep 07, 2017 4:21 pm

Another way of doing it.

Ice101
Very Frequent Poster
Gear: Free ride want to branch into strapless riding and more freestyle

Postby Ice101 » Tue Sep 12, 2017 9:38 am

Looking at a 2017 trust bar as can't the rediculous half a grand pricectoah of the click which don't even come with chicken loop this year o have heard, but want to hear from someone that has used the 2017 one and can say that the higher y split point doesn't effect the characteristics of the kite negatively.

spiru
Rare Poster
Local Beach: Laredo, Sopelana, Ereaga
Favorite Beaches: Laredo
Viana
Gear: Cloud 3.7 4.8 6.2 8 10.4 13.4
Phantasm 657
Nomad Wave
Makos
Fone surf

Postby spiru » Sat Mar 31, 2018 1:19 pm

I got a new 2017 Click bar for 380 € recently and it works very well. The split point is adjustable so you can use it with any kite. I changed the 2017 split point for the 2018 piece which is easier to adjust and doesn't wear the lines. This piece is about 4 €. The rest of the bar is basically the same, except the floats and reinforcement on the flag line where it exits the CL at the bottom. It is a great solution for my partner short arms

PullStrings
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 1999
Gear: LEI's & Surfboards

Postby PullStrings » Sat Mar 31, 2018 11:01 pm

Return to “Kitesurfing”