Contact   Imprint   Advertising   Guidelines

Cut away knives. Bear Claw revisited.

Forum for kitesurfers
flyrob
Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Toronto Islands, Oliphant, Lake Simcoe Canada
Favorite Beaches: OBX, Tampa Bay, El Yaque and Coche Island, Venezuela, Tarifa, Spain
Style: Freeride
Gear: Ocean Rodeo and Naish
Brand Affiliation: Ocean Rodeo Tech Team Rider
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Re: Cut away knives. Bear Claw revisited.

Postby flyrob » Mon Sep 26, 2011 5:59 am

[quote="Mr_Weetabix"
This would worry me - I know that your finger isn't on the sharp edge, but I reckon that it could slip onto it pretty easily when wet - particularly when being dragged through the watert.[/quote]

My thought exactly. How are you going to grasp that thing and get your fingers right when you are being yanked and jerked upside down by a tangled kite?

JMF
Frequent Poster
Brand Affiliation: None

Postby JMF » Mon Sep 26, 2011 7:30 am

Mr_Weetabix wrote:
JMF wrote:Image
This would worry me - I know that your finger isn't on the sharp edge, but I reckon that it could slip onto it pretty easily when wet - particularly when being dragged through the water. I guess you could practice pulling and handling the knife to reduce the risk (but do it in private, otherwise policemen will come to take you away).

This seems more appropriate. Similar principal to the "standard" hook knife, no screws or other fiddly bits, robust, shiny enough to satisfy kiter gadget lust.
We nit picking now. Weetabix I was just pointing out to a previous posted that it could be held as a traditional knife.

I also looked at extractor and would be a ideal replacement for traditional hook knife far superior. But although I have not seen a real world example the hook does not look like it would have space to cut a centre line.

Guys anything is better than nothing is what I'm pointing out. I've used the Bear Claw and it's the best option I could find in my location. Sure there might be better options. So go out buy them post your findings.
Last edited by JMF on Mon Sep 26, 2011 10:40 am, edited 1 time in total.

Mr_Weetabix
Frequent Poster

Postby Mr_Weetabix » Mon Sep 26, 2011 10:27 am

I think the risk of losing some dexterity in an emergency due to slashing my own fingers is more than a nit-pick. Probably not impossible to solve, though - note that the handle of Mr Stallone's knife is shaped to keep his fingers off the sharp part.

I'm interested to know which lines people have cut in emergencies - I always assumed that if I had to cut something, it would be one or more of the flying lines. I'm trying to imagine a situation in which you wouldn't be able to use your QR, and would need to cut the centre line (which, I accept, might require a bigger knife, as would cutting a leash).

JMF
Frequent Poster

Postby JMF » Mon Sep 26, 2011 10:47 am

Mr_Weetabix wrote:I think the risk of losing some dexterity in an emergency due to slashing my own fingers is more than a nit-pick. Probably not impossible to solve, though - note that the handle of Mr Stallone's knife is shaped to keep his fingers off the sharp part.

I'm interested to know which lines people have cut in emergencies - I always assumed that if I had to cut something, it would be one or more of the flying lines. I'm trying to imagine a situation in which you wouldn't be able to use your QR, and would need to cut the centre line (which, I accept, might require a bigger knife, as would cutting a leash).
If you pop your chicken loop you will not be able to cut your flying lines as the bar will run up what ever flagging system your kite has making getting at your flying lines impossible. Mine mini 5th line Bandit 4.

I was looking at something over and above standard hook knife to cut away what ever needs to be cut in a emergency. Your harness or centre line for example. A standard type hook knife will not help in these situations IMO.

If given the choice I would always go for centre line in a emergency. It's cheaper first off than going for flying lines. Secondly it's instant power off.

RichardM
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Northern Orange County
All Los Angeles County
All Ventura County
Some Santa Barbara County
Brand Affiliation: Malibu Kitesurfing
http://www.MalibuKitesurfing.NET
The BEST way to learn kitesurfing !

Postby RichardM » Mon Sep 26, 2011 9:17 pm

Mr_Weetabix wrote:I think the risk of losing some dexterity in an emergency due to slashing my own fingers is more than a nit-pick. Probably not impossible to solve, though - note that the handle of Mr Stallone's knife is shaped to keep his fingers off the sharp part.

I think the most likely line needing to cut would be a flying line wrapped around a foot. Not only is it relatively easy to get a slack line wrapped around a foot while trying to relaunch, but if the kite should then relaunch, it will be out of control (probably spiraling) and dragging the kiter by his foot.

It will be very difficult to reach the line, especially with a harness on and it is likely to be especially hard to breath because it is relatively easy for water to be forced up your nose. Therefore, untangling the line will not be an option and a knife will be about the ONLY solution.

Anything that prevents the CL QR from working might necessitate cutting the CL line. Especially if the line itself was caught on the spreader or something else attached to the kiter.

It should also be remembered that there are ALWAYS completely UNANTICIPATED scenarios which can develop and some of these could easily involve problems with the CL line.

Richard M.
Malibu Kitesurfing - since 2002
(310) - 430 - KITE (5483)
http://www.MalibuKitesurfing.NET
kfRichard@MalibuKitesurfing.NET

longwhitecloud
Very Frequent Poster
Style: Master Baiter. Oracle of windsport.
Gear: 2 sets of Flysurfer VMGs 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14 15, 18. Foilboards ( Masts 75 90 110 125 Wings 880 950 1100 1350 1750) all with Ronix Ones attached. Soon to retire to Wingfoiling.

Postby longwhitecloud » Mon Dec 10, 2012 10:47 am

the double blade hook knifes smoke it. knife supplied with harnesses often don't even cut leader lines - nowhere near close and go rusty - waste of time . On teh good ones for parachuting uhe double blades are hinged (with plastic body) on those other ones so as they cut they open up - blade 100% new for whole cut - cuts through a 5mm leader like its a thread of cotton....

Kamikuza
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Sabae Beach
Favorite Beaches: Ol' Stinky
Gear: This, that, the other

Postby Kamikuza » Mon Dec 10, 2012 3:30 pm

Laughingman
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Kettle Point, Mitchell's Bay, Rondeau Bay
Favorite Beaches: Kettle Point, Mitchell's Bay, Rondeau Bay, Long Bay, Cayo Guillermo, La Ventana
Gear: Ocean Rodeo Gen6 Flites 10m, 12m Gen2 Roams 6m and 8m, Cloud D 4.8, 6.2, 8.0, 10.4
Xeon Laluz, Mako Wide 150, Jellyfish Custom surf board quad fin 6', LF Impulse Foil and Kanaha Shapes 37" board
Engine Harness with slider

Postby Laughingman » Tue Dec 11, 2012 3:40 am

OzBungy
Very Frequent Poster

Postby OzBungy » Tue Dec 11, 2012 4:14 am

I have used my hook knife in anger once when a line got wrapped around my foot during a squall with winds over 60 knots. I was not in trouble but I could have been so I cut the line. I had no intention of waiting to see what happened. I cut through three lines and they parted instantly. The knife was the standard Cabrinha knife and had been sitting in my harness for a couple of years.

During the squall I had the kite released to the safety leash. The tangle happened while I was working out how to make the kite safe. I did not want to completely release the kite even though I was on a beach where it would have been safe enough to do it. A touch ironically, once the kite was free it rolled over and depowered in the shore break and I was able to walk over and grab it.

In my opinion a normal V-blade hook knife is fine for anything you are likely to need to cut and the situations where you really need to cut something.

As I have posted earlier in this thread, having a sharp open-bladed knife in the water with you is creating a more dangerous situation than the problem you are trying to solve.

I have recently upgraded my harness and bought a new Mystic hook knife for my old (now spare) harness. The new Cabrinha knives have a more acute angle and longer blade on them. Realistically, if you rinse the knife from time to time and replace the knife when you upgrade your harness you are going to be more than safe enough.

uncle sammy
Medium Poster

Postby uncle sammy » Tue Dec 11, 2012 3:05 pm

The Mystic knife that i got with my Warrior harness works great.

Return to “Kitesurfing”