Ozone - 4m Access
Flex Deck
Brand Affiliation: None
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Travel Bags - Need a little help

Postby Hubbs » Tue Nov 29, 2011 7:06 pm

Hey guys,
I'm heading down to Jamaica on Dec 26th and wanted to check with you guys first on any travel tips you might have when it comes to your gear?

1) Where is a good place to check out Travel bags ? I've heard about them but never seen any, talking kitesurfing specific ones,

2) Would a large duffle bag work ? I've got a giant yellow bag that could for sure hold all my gear, but its "soft" all the way around, (dunno how else to say it ) . The bag has zero support , just a giant hand held bag,

Thats it for now.. ? Time is slipping away and I would like to have this all lined up!!

Thanks!
:cool2:

72kiteboarder
Very Frequent Poster

Re: Travel Bags - Need a little help

Postby 72kiteboarder » Tue Nov 29, 2011 7:25 pm

Silver Fox
Rare Poster
Local Beach: ALL
Favorite Beaches: Anywhere with clean water and beautiful beaches
Style: ALL
Gear: ALL

Postby Silver Fox » Tue Nov 29, 2011 7:35 pm

first off, why in the world would you want to kite in Jamaica??? probably the worst place to go. 2nd, I have traveled quite a bit and kept getting big fees as they check the "golf" bags now so switched to the Dakine Wagon and haven't had any problems at all the last year or so.

s1buell_wl
Very Frequent Poster

Postby s1buell_wl » Tue Nov 29, 2011 7:48 pm

I have the 142. I can get one board and three kites, harness and a kite cloths.

I carry another small bag with cloths and pump (Keep the weight down in big bag)

I've seen a ton of bag and was a little skeptical to buy this one but after several trips lending it out..... Its a tough bag and not to heavy

This one is too big for me but if you want an "everything in one bag" this is it!
http://www.calikites.com/product_info.p ... cts_id=430
167 x 46 x 32cm

Comes in three sizes that I know of.
142 x 46 x 32cm
152 x 46 x 32cm
167 x 46 x 32cm

http://www.npxwetsuits.com/index.php?op ... &Itemid=90

Oh by the way just got back from a trip to the islands.... 3 kites one board harness, shorts and shirt.... bang on 23k leaving and 25 on the way back!!!!

Kites 11m 14m and 16m (fold them tight and small so you can get three in line) From traveling quite a bit I've found a way to fold the kites nice and small.
128X38 board

s1buell_wl
Very Frequent Poster

Postby s1buell_wl » Tue Nov 29, 2011 7:58 pm

Silver Fox wrote:first off, why in the world would you want to kite in Jamaica??? probably the worst place to go. 2nd, I have traveled quite a bit and kept getting big fees as they check the "golf" bags now so switched to the Dakine Wagon and haven't had any problems at all the last year or so.

Its the same size why would you not get fees?

Wagon

150 x 40 x 25cm
8 lbs [ 3.6 kg ]

NPH
Specs
142 x 46 x 32cm

ChickenTikka
Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Thailand
Bol, Croatia
Mui. Ne Vietnam
Tarifa
Leucate
Gear: Looking to change up!

Postby ChickenTikka » Tue Nov 29, 2011 8:24 pm

I fly a ton - granted rarely in the US which I ran far away from the moment I graduated from my Ivy League university - but most airlines are absolutely indifferent to what's in your bag, They want it to fit into a specific size and weight. The free golf club thing appears to be a relic not practiced all too often.

I've yet to be charged for my kite equipment anywhere in Europe or Asia. A smile and promise that you have medallion status on a partner airline usually does the trick.

I would say probably not a great idea to stick your kites in a duffel. You want a little better protection for them. A duffel might rip easily unless it's one of those hard core ones.

s1buell_wl
Very Frequent Poster

Postby s1buell_wl » Tue Nov 29, 2011 8:32 pm

ChickenTikka wrote:I fly a ton - granted rarely in the US which I ran far away from the moment I graduated from my Ivy League university -

I've yet to be charged for my kite equipment anywhere in Europe or Asia. A smile and promise that you have medallion status on a partner airline usually does the trick.

Good plan!!!!! lol

I don't get charged ever down here in Brazil! But I have been nailed in US. By the ass pirates that just claimed bankruptcy oh pity!

alexeyga
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2006
Weight: 200
Favorite Beaches: Ocean shore!
Style: Freeride dongling
Gear: Eleveight / Shinn / North / Axis / Slingshot / Airush

Postby alexeyga » Tue Nov 29, 2011 8:55 pm

Having traveled quite a bit, it all came down to golf-bags for me... These are cheap, simple and - most importantly - light!!!

What's the point of getting a super-duper nice kite-specific bag, if it weight half (and more) of the total weight allowance? An average golf bag weights ~5-7lbs and comforably fits a couple of boards (140cm), couple of kites, bars, wetsuit and some other stuff without breaking the 20kg (40lbs) limit...

Cheers!

Hubbs
Medium Poster
Local Beach: Conrad's Beach
Clam Harbour Beach
Style: Freestyle
Gear: Ozone - 8m Frenzy
Ozone - 4m Access
Flex Deck

Postby Hubbs » Wed Nov 30, 2011 10:56 pm

Thanks for the tips guys,

1) Kiting in jamaica b/c the whole fam is going down for xmas vacation, no real choice .

2) I've gotten a buddy who is willing to lend me his bag for a case of beer!

Im going to pick it up off him asap , pack all my kites and stuff real tight and weigh it . picked up one of them hand held scales for 2$ at a yard sale

Thanks for the help guys!

TPink
Medium Poster

Postby TPink » Sat Dec 03, 2011 2:34 am

Whatever you end up with, I highly recommend it has wheels!

Believe me your arms, shoulders and back will thank me later...

Return to “Kitesurfing”