Contact   Imprint   Advertising   Guidelines

Zeeko ultimate bar no clamcleat no depower straps?

Forum for kitesurfers
rynhardt
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Langebaan
Favorite Beaches: Langebaan
Style: Freeride
Gear: Cloud C2 17
Hoff Twinwave
Brand Affiliation: None

Re: Zeeko ultimate bar no clamcleat no depower straps?

Postby rynhardt » Fri Oct 27, 2017 8:49 pm

I used a fairly thick piece of Amsteel, 8mm if I remember correctly. Here's an old video.

jaros
Very Frequent Poster

Postby jaros » Sat Oct 28, 2017 8:13 am

So, without the toggle you just grab the 8mm Amsteel line and pull it? Is it a problem to get a grip without any kind of gadget on the line (like on the zeeko bar)? Is this a reason why you use such a thick line, i guess it is easyer to get a grip on a 8 mm than on a 5 mm line.
I wonder why there is not more use of this system. When i first saw a video of the zeeko bar back in 2012 i tought it was so clever that every kite company will use it in the future. What are the downsides?
Greetings,
Jaros

Regis-de-giens
Very Frequent Poster
Weight: 62 kg
Local Beach: France: St Laurent du Var, Cannes, Almanarre
Style: 62 kg , light wind, waves
Gear: Conceptair pulsion 18&15&12S, OR Flite 10m , Airush One 9&6, peak 5M , Rally 6, Elf 11 &7, 19m2 single skin proto.
foil Ketos, RCS Supreme, TBK Mana, snowskis, kite-boat

Postby Regis-de-giens » Sat Oct 28, 2017 11:31 am

I dont get the downsides (Except the fact that you may need to sheet-In befre depowering tge strap or accept to do the total depower srtap stroke in 2-3 times if if you do not want to sheet in . But in reality it is not a real downside compared to notging fliating in te wind.
I made up my custom bar made of this system and love it. Just bought a second and one ...
These users thanked the author Regis-de-giens for the post:
jaros (Tue Jan 21, 2020 8:30 am)
Rating: 3.03%

alford
Very Frequent Poster
Gear: all brands

Postby alford » Sat Oct 28, 2017 2:21 pm

Very cool. With the streamlined version of pulling on the rope directly, can a stopper ball still be used?

alford
Very Frequent Poster
Gear: all brands

Postby alford » Sat Oct 28, 2017 3:15 pm

Will this style of trim work on most kites, even those with a low V split? A clean drawing or photos showing the layout would help lots. Thanks, this is interesting!

faklord
Frequent Poster

Postby faklord » Sat Oct 28, 2017 6:24 pm

alford wrote:
Sat Oct 28, 2017 3:15 pm
Will this style of trim work on most kites, even those with a low V split? A clean drawing or photos showing the layout would help lots. Thanks, this is interesting!
Try looking back at previous pages of this thread. Eg pages 4 & 5!!

rynhardt
Very Frequent Poster
Hoff Twinwave

Postby rynhardt » Sun Oct 29, 2017 11:53 am

jaros wrote:
Sat Oct 28, 2017 8:13 am
So, without the toggle you just grab the 8mm Amsteel line and pull it? Is it a problem to get a grip without any kind of gadget on the line (like on the zeeko bar)? Is this a reason why you use such a thick line, i guess it is easyer to get a grip on a 8 mm than on a 5 mm line.
I wonder why there is not more use of this system. When i first saw a video of the zeeko bar back in 2012 i tought it was so clever that every kite company will use it in the future. What are the downsides?
Greetings,
Jaros
The toggle wasn't all that useful in the end and I removed it. It's easy enough to just grab the line. And simpler.
The thickness is mostly because I had some line lying around, that seemed to work well enough. It's a good thickness, comfortable and strong enough, and with the right amount of friction.
The only downside is maybe that it's not always clear which rope to pull to power up or depower. I don't really care because it's not a problem to correct it, at least for me there's always time to switch around.

rynhardt
Very Frequent Poster
Hoff Twinwave

Postby rynhardt » Sun Oct 29, 2017 12:19 pm

I'm using a low friction ring at the Y. Although it looks like it, the ring is actually not stressed where it attached to the Y.
The rope runs from the Y, figure 8 through the centre of the ring to the first knot. This locates the ring near the Y, and provides a path for the rope that needs to come around again.
Then from the Y knot, the rope runs through a stainless ring (I think 4mm dia) and back over the low friction ring's groove (which is how the ring is supposed to be stressed).
And then back down through the bar, around a stainless ring attached to the mushroom, and back up through the bar to the first stainless ring.
You can leave the little toggle out of the setup.
I tried low friction rings in other places, but the plain stainless rings have a nice amount of friction. Easy enough to move the assembly when you want to, sticky enough to not move under load when you don't want it to.
Oh and I think this could be Dyneema or Spectra or Amsteel, but at this thickness it's plenty strong enough to not matter too much which variety.
Attachments
DSC_0190.JPG
DSC_0191.JPG

Regis-de-giens
Very Frequent Poster
Weight: 62 kg
Local Beach: France: St Laurent du Var, Cannes, Almanarre
Style: 62 kg , light wind, waves
Gear: Conceptair pulsion 18&15&12S, OR Flite 10m , Airush One 9&6, peak 5M , Rally 6, Elf 11 &7, 19m2 single skin proto.
foil Ketos, RCS Supreme, TBK Mana, snowskis, kite-boat

Postby Regis-de-giens » Sun Oct 29, 2017 4:40 pm

As far as I understand , you do not use the custom ball on the bar to depower ? I wasthinking ofbtryingvyour good idea to becable to depower with one hand... So why don't you keep the zeeko H-Stopper in that case ? It provides a good handle to depower.
The stopper alone can be sourced to zeeko, approx 12 euro.

Otherwise, if you keep on pulling on the rope directly, maybe you can try to paint one of the two to distinguish them ... (Hope i am clear) ;

On my own system I have removed the friction ring by a pulley. It does not seem to slide unvoluntary and ease the depowering.
https://vimeo.com/231646133

jakemoore
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2003
Gear: More wing than kite

Postby jakemoore » Sun Oct 29, 2017 4:45 pm

What's the little clip attached to the bar rynhardt?

Also would it make more sense for the rope to move through the hole in the low friction ring rather than around the edge?

Return to “Kitesurfing”