Contact   Imprint   Advertising   Guidelines

Question for Slingshot Fuel riders

Forum for kitesurfers
oshaugho
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Question for Slingshot Fuel riders

Postby oshaugho » Tue Nov 25, 2014 8:09 pm

Have a change to pick up a nearly new 09 7m fuel. I am really tempted to jump on it.

Background: Been riding for 10 yrs. Started on c kites in 05 and slowly returning to them again. Into unhooked wakestyle and boosting and looping. Weigh 95kgs.

Current smallest kite is a mutiny p-series 2nd gen 8m. For me this is solid up to 35 kts.

Question is how mush refinement has there been on the fuel over the last 5 yrs? Will I be able to hold and loop the 7m fuel in more wind than the mutiny? Can I retrofit a 5th line noseline to the kite?

Always wanted to try fuels in their smaller sizes but never committed.

BWD
Very Frequent Poster

Re: Question for Slingshot Fuel riders

Postby BWD » Tue Nov 25, 2014 8:28 pm

Can I retrofit a 5th line noseline to the kite?
yes
the other questions are harder to answer.
The '09-'11 fuels have somewhat more depower ability on the bar than earlier fuels, but lack the split strut construction of both earlier and more recent fuels.
You still need edge and wind window control though, it is 100% C kite.
Split strut means the top of the strut is part of the top canopy surface instead of sewn onto it with a narrow tab of cloth as 90% of other kites are done. So each strut has 2 rows of stitching attaching it to the canopy, about 1.5" apart. It is claimed to help rigidity and durability, and give a slightly different feel. I think it actually mellows the kite out a little.
I would say all fuels from '09+ are good, relatively user friendly, and do not need fifth line except for a little extra safety.

oshaugho
Been thanked: 0

Postby oshaugho » Tue Nov 25, 2014 8:33 pm

have no illusions as to fuel depower. Have been riding a long time so well used to using board edge to control kite power. Mainly wanted to know if there are significant differences between the years but if its more of a continual slight refinement then I may give it a shot.

Were there any fuels years that were lemons? Such as the vegas which seamed to have great yrs and bad yrs.

Starsky
Very Frequent Poster
Brand Affiliation: None

Postby Starsky » Tue Nov 25, 2014 8:57 pm

Have a 2013 7m fuel I ride 5 line. Had about 10 good days on it this season. Also have a 2009 11m fuel and they both have the heavy duty attachment point for the 5th. The 2009 doesn't have split strut construction and seems to have a pretty thick leading edge right through to the tips compared to the 2013. The 7m Is a fun little kite and good for me in boots up to about 35. Nothing but big air and big spray once its solidly over 30. Had it out a few times this season in absolutely silly wind and it was really just full concentration survival mode. Not much fun, but I think it was gusting up over 40. For actual fun, I think its as low as 20 knots strapless up to 35 locked in. I'm 175 lbs, so not sure you would gain much range over your mutiny.

Don't let that stop you from jumping on it if its a good deal. A 7m fuel is like a Ferrari. Even if you don't use it all the time, on the right day its da bomb, and its got all the good Lenten years to prove it.

PinkNorthPride
Medium Poster
Local Beach: Calshot
Favorite Beaches: Le Morne, Mauritius
Silver Sands Barbados
Nyali Kenya
Dougs the Gorge
Style: Lawn Mowing
Gear: North
Brand Affiliation: North, Maybe Core next...

Postby PinkNorthPride » Wed Nov 26, 2014 10:48 pm

Buy it, a 2009 Fuel is a good one.

As long as you know how to fly 4 line none de power able C kites that is.

dyyylan
Very Frequent Poster
Gear: N/A

Postby dyyylan » Thu Nov 27, 2014 12:10 am

Having ridden both kites, I would definitely recommend staying with the P-Series, they are such great kites. I rode fuels all last year, they are great kites if you have steady wind. Tons of slack, great boost, scary loops. They're pretty hard on your legs since you have to use your board for 95% of the depower, so it's a little more tiring to ride, if you like long sessions. In my opinion the P-series is almost as good as the fuel in all of those areas, but it's a little more user-friendly so I had more fun riding them overall.

If you just need a little bit smaller kite and it's super cheap (I just sold my 2012 fuel 7m on ebay for $150) I'd say go for it though.

Return to “Kitesurfing”