Favorite Beaches: bondi beach
Style: freestyle
Gear: North
Brand Affiliation: None
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

North Rebel 2007

Postby piton » Thu Mar 08, 2012 12:39 am

We are looking at buying a 9m kite. I have come two options and I would like to know if anyone can give me any insight into the difference between the North Rebel 2007 and the same kite but a more recent year. We have been offered a 2007 and I would like to know by taking the older kite whether I am missing out on any massively different, newer technology? thanks

tony montana
Frequent Poster
Local Beach: naples fl
Favorite Beaches: naples fl
Style: waverider
Gear: north
Brand Affiliation: north nash cabrina any kite with a safety system that works i mean works

Re: North Rebel 2007

Postby tony montana » Thu Mar 08, 2012 12:58 am

Had 9 2007 great kite for wave riding,probaly fastest kite ever,little bit unstable for beginner likes a lot of wind,massive depower,not a big jumper.Hope this helps Tony

tony montana
Frequent Poster
Brand Affiliation: north nash cabrina any kite with a safety system that works i mean works

Postby tony montana » Thu Mar 08, 2012 1:01 am

tony montana wrote:Had 9 2007 great kite for wave riding,probaly fastest kite ever,little bit unstable for beginner likes a lot of wind,massive depower,not a big jumper.Hope this helps Tony
PS newer rebel would be better more stable easier all round kite,cant go wrong with any year rebel.Great safety.

piccio
Frequent Poster
Local Beach: rome
Favorite Beaches: sardinia cape town
Style: wave
Gear: religion 5 6 8
firewire 5 11 maquina 5.9

Postby piccio » Thu Mar 08, 2012 7:53 am

Do not spend more than 50 euro or dollars for that kite.
newer 6 or 7(2011) have more or less same power but a world better handling and fun .
hi

zsabev
Rare Poster
Local Beach: Bulgaria, Turkey
Favorite Beaches: Boracay, Phillipines
Cabarete, D.R.
Tarifa. Spain
Rhodoes, Greece
Limnos, Greece
Style: freestyle, wave

Postby zsabev » Thu Mar 08, 2012 12:41 pm

2007 is not a goof year for North Kiteboarding, There is not a single good North kite from that year. I am a big fan of North but I have to admit that. I think they make the best kites after 2010. I am not 100% sure but this is the year when they changed their factory to Sri Lanca and half of the production was with better quality but even that did not make the kites from 2007 fly better.
Yes, you should not spend more that 50 bucks for a kite from that year.

onein5
Medium Poster
Local Beach: Vazon, L'Ancresse/Pembroke
Style: Sketchy!
Gear: Naish Cults 9m 12m, North Rebel 16m, RRD placebo 142 x 45

Postby onein5 » Thu Mar 08, 2012 12:53 pm

Hello, just to put the cat amongst the pigeons, I have a 2007 Rebel 16M and it’s pretty good. Stable for me and I am a newbish kiter (1.5 year weekend warrior) – but a ton of bar pressure compared to more modern kites. I like it on the light wind days though. Build quality – kite seems as you would expect for an 07. Doesn’t mind being crashed a few times on the beach! I have seen two of the valves delam and had to glue them back on, but it’s a pretty easy job with the non-one pump and some bladder glue.

We don’t see much in the way of kites selling for less than £150 in the UK so I would be surprised to get a Rebel for 50USD.

Good luck.

PeteB
Rare Poster
Local Beach: Lancing, Shoreham
Favorite Beaches: Abu Dhabi, Silver Sands Barbados

Postby PeteB » Thu Mar 08, 2012 1:14 pm

I have a 9m 2007 Rebel and love it. Still using that and a 12m Rhine 2007. Both going strong despite a lot of use and a lot of travel. The only problem I had with the rebel was when the 5th became 2 short, I think it was down to me having to rebuild my bar after the mother of all tangles! But what happened was the kite became extremely unstable. Always dropping and inverting. After fixing this it was again the awesome kite I love. Great fun kite, as someone said it does have extremely high bar pressure.
If you get it make sure you check the lines very carefully, and make sure there all the same length.

Pete

PeteB
Rare Poster
Local Beach: Lancing, Shoreham
Favorite Beaches: Abu Dhabi, Silver Sands Barbados

Postby PeteB » Thu Mar 08, 2012 1:14 pm

I have a 9m 2007 Rebel and love it. Still using that and a 12m Rhine 2007. Both going strong despite a lot of use and a lot of travel. The only problem I had with the rebel was when the 5th became 2 short, I think it was down to me having to rebuild my bar after the mother of all tangles! But what happened was the kite became extremely unstable. Always dropping and inverting. After fixing this it was again the awesome kite I love. Great fun kite, as someone said it does have extremely high bar pressure.
If you get it make sure you check the lines very carefully, and make sure there all the same length.

Pete

piton
Rare Poster
Local Beach: kimshaw beach St Maarten, netherlands Antilles
Favorite Beaches: bondi beach
Style: freestyle

Postby piton » Thu Mar 08, 2012 2:23 pm

hello thanks for all your thoughts, I am actually a female rider looking for a light wind kite. I weigh around 55kgs and already have a 2007 takoon enova 4 line 7m which leaves we wanting more power on lighter days. Do you think this is a good option - I can buy a 2007 rebel for aroud 350$us complete or 2008 for around 400 complete $us.

Thanks

tony montana
Frequent Poster

Postby tony montana » Thu Mar 08, 2012 10:54 pm

piton wrote:hello thanks for all your thoughts, I am actually a female rider looking for a light wind kite. I weigh around 55kgs and already have a 2007 takoon enova 4 line 7m which leaves we wanting more power on lighter days. Do you think this is a good option - I can buy a 2007 rebel for aroud 350$us complete or 2008 for around 400 complete $us.

Thanks
Def go for 2008 reb very user friendly kite,had a wave session on borrowed 9 2008 couple weeks ago,one of the best sessions ever had,great kite as good as anything out there,much better boosting than 2007.i always reckon 2008 was better than 09,complete and in good nick it worth 400 hope this helps Tony.

Return to “Kitesurfing”