MikeBirt
Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 1999
Weight: 81kg
Local Beach: Teesside - UK
Favorite Beaches: Redcar, Beadnell, Budle
Style: everything
Gear: Like to try everything I can :-)
Brand Affiliation: Airush and Shinn (UK importer)
Has thanked: 0

Re: Airush 2012 New Sectors -- 54, 60, and 66cm V3

Postby MikeBirt » Wed Sep 12, 2012 9:34 am

WildDuke wrote:Does anyone travel with their sector 60? Is there a travel bag available for them?
I took mine to the canaries last winter, I used the internal packing that the board came with and a layer of card on deck and base, straps off, inside a single airush bag. It was fine...

MikeBirt
Frequent Poster

Postby MikeBirt » Fri Sep 14, 2012 8:10 am

We were wrong...
There is mention of MT base and Tuttle in that PDF, but when the order arrived, the code numbers matched, and the carver set had mini tuttle bases not full tuttle - for use in the 54 only...

Currently the only Airush V3 60 tri fin option is;
22 full tuttle up front 5 degree cant (as supplied as stock) 20cm central rear (optional extra) full tuttle at 0 degree cant.

hope that helps.

MikeBirt wrote:
juaorpo wrote:Hi Mike, in spain. Hope we receive them soon here.
If you get stuck.... it's not so far away for a small part..
juaorpo wrote:Regarding carving set, you mean it is delayed or it doesnt exist anymore? From what i remember in airush blog presenting v3, there you can see a carver set for the 60.
Sir, you are right!
according to the pdf, and my packing list today or tomorrow I will have in stock the following;
Screen Shot 2012-09-12 at 08.54.42.png
It looks like a complete carver set for the V3 60 in full tuttle, (I stand Corrected) and a separate single rear upright fin to make a more race oriented tri..

so it looks like the v3 60 will have 3 possible options;
- standard - quad race config
- tri race configuration
- carver tri configuration

I'll have full details in the next few days when the delivery arrives. Interesting!

juaorpo wrote:It is not ever coming the carver set i might start looking for windsurfing wave fins....
The Airush fins should be a lot better than windsurf fins (right cant - asymmetric foil and much more twist... lets see what arrives!

mikesids
Medium Poster
Local Beach: Pt Chev, Auckland
Favorite Beaches: Aitutaki lagoon, Cook Islands
Style: Foil, surf, speed, jumping, freestyle
Gear: F One Furtives / FS Souls for speed, Airush Ultra's for freeride foiling , Chrono UL for freerace foiling, Parks, Bandit and Union for all round, JShapes / Levitaz / Spitfire XLW foil, F One AC21 Speed boards, Groove Skate
Brand Affiliation: None

Postby mikesids » Mon Sep 17, 2012 11:19 am

Gidday,
Thinking of upgrading my Sector 52 v1.5 to a 54. The tri fin carver fin configuration appeals as potentially giving more control when blasting off the wind (am an ex-windsurfer) compared to the 52's quad fins. Can anyone who has ridden both versions of the boards above possibly comment at the differences in how they ride (Mike Birt , as an ex-windsurfer your comments would be greatly appreciated).

Cheers

noel
Very Frequent Poster
Brand Affiliation: none
Been thanked: 0

Postby noel » Mon Sep 17, 2012 4:17 pm

Got a question if anyone can help. I got a Sector 66 on demo and have ridden it twice. I weigh 185 lbs. and been kiting 13 years. Did a little windsurfing. First, is the 66 too big for me as I was thinking about getting the 60? Second, when riding, if my back foot is out of the strap (just in front of it) but hard on the rail, I am pretty good with everything but when I put my back foot in the strap it bounces pretty good. Almost uncontrollable. I have ridden a few other race boards and didn't notice it as much. I like the Sector but is it me or is board too big.

Thanks in advance!

BigOne
Rare Poster

Postby BigOne » Mon Sep 17, 2012 7:39 pm

Sector 66 is something different. I also have V2 60, and this board much much easy to ride and more forgiving. I find V3 66 standard tri-fin setup totally underfinned. I never tryed pure raceboards, maybe 66 is more race orientated. I also tested V3 66 with four-fin from my V2 60, and i like it more than standart. Finally I put all 5 fins, and find it best for my taste :) Board felt very stable at speed even in choppy water and go easy to downwind.
Next time I put the bigger windsurf race fins in to the Sector :) I hope this help me to find the best combination.

MikeBirt
Frequent Poster

Postby MikeBirt » Wed Sep 19, 2012 3:52 pm

mikesids wrote:Gidday,
Thinking of upgrading my Sector 52 v1.5 to a 54. The tri fin carver fin configuration appeals as potentially giving more control when blasting off the wind (am an ex-windsurfer) compared to the 52's quad fins. Can anyone who has ridden both versions of the boards above possibly comment at the differences in how they ride
Do it...
vastly different, and in tri fin vastly superior for speed and versatility - it feels like an old slalom board, flat out with a 5.8. A LOT of fun, and good enough round the corners to start steaming into some waveriding.. Jumps too.

Interestingly if you put the 4 fin setup in (like the old 52) it does feel closer to the 52, but I'd only recommend this for marginal stuff. As soon as you get any power tri fin carver setup (supplied as stock) is fast, efficient and addictive. The 52V2 feels stiff, angular and inefficient by comparison, though in stock form the 52 does go upwind better - though I always though it was very over-finned in stock form..

MikeBirt
Frequent Poster

Postby MikeBirt » Wed Sep 19, 2012 4:05 pm

noel wrote:Got a question if anyone can help. I got a Sector 66 on demo and have ridden it twice. I weigh 185 lbs. and been kiting 13 years. Did a little windsurfing. First, is the 66 too big for me as I was thinking about getting the 60? Second, when riding, if my back foot is out of the strap (just in front of it) but hard on the rail, I am pretty good with everything but when I put my back foot in the strap it bounces pretty good. Almost uncontrollable. I have ridden a few other race boards and didn't notice it as much. I like the Sector but is it me or is board too big.
At your weight I think the 60 should be fine.
I'm also guessing that your session was mildly windy, choppy and cross shore?
I had a similar experience on a 66. Bouncy and a bit out of control. I had the similar but lessened feeling on the 60 with 4 fins on the same day. Switching the 60 to 3 fins cured it completely - the board was then a joy, and in choppy short frequency stuff it just cut through it. I have also started using the boards with a wide stance - right at the front on the front straps and right at the back on the back straps, but then i am graced with long legs...

The 66 is a big board, and while it will suffer big fins (stock probably a bit small) you'll loose all the carving, and while it's closest to a raceboard (riding flat) it is still freeride enough to be easy and non technical. Sectors are freeride boards at heart, plug and play... raceboards are most definitely not..
66 is starting to get in to the realms of technical, unless you are a really big guy (200lbs+).

I would see if you can try a 60, and if you get the chance buy it with the centre fin option to make a tri - I do use them both and they do have definite application for each setup.

MikeBirt
Frequent Poster

Postby MikeBirt » Wed Sep 19, 2012 4:09 pm

BigOne wrote:Sector 66 is something different. I also have V2 60, and this board much much easy to ride and more forgiving. I find V3 66 standard tri-fin setup totally underfinned. I never tryed pure raceboards, maybe 66 is more race orientated. I also tested V3 66 with four-fin from my V2 60, and i like it more than standart. Finally I put all 5 fins, and find it best for my taste :) Board felt very stable at speed even in choppy water and go easy to downwind.
Next time I put the bigger windsurf race fins in to the Sector :) I hope this help me to find the best combination.
Ha ha,
5 fins!
I agree though 66 could use more fin, but it does detract from carving and off wind speed/handling.
The best would be 3 larger fins..

There are a few threads on the kiteboarder.co.uk forum about guys who have made the jump to Monaro. If you think the sectors can be challenging from time to time, spare a thought for those who are making the leap from freerace to pure race;
Thought I would revive this thread after taking delivery of a shiny new monaro V4 to replace my Naish Venturi.

A few observations after 2 days - probably 4 hours of sailing. Would love to hear other peoples thoughts on the genre.

James is absolutely right - if its windy these things are a handful. Even after many hours on the venturi (I think the fins are approx 2X as big on the Monaro!)- it was like starting again. At one stage I was considering nose plugs, earplugs and any other plug you can think of! I had water leaking from every orifice after too many high speed explosions - a bit like learning to walk a slack wire.

I am not fit enough for this board yet. All other fins even 25cm ones, side slip quite a lot. These big bad boys dont really - at all. So at speed its like jumping up and down on concrete - they just push back at you. I am thinking of going back to a waist harness for a bit to engage a bit more of my body and take the pressure off my legs - until I get fitter.

They are a bitch to gybe - fortunately a tip I got many years ago still works - lean over and stroke the water - but you will be over there a long time before anything happens so be patient it will turn (eventually). Oh and downloop the kite - its a bit like having a tiger by the tail - for god sake dont slow down.

You cant sine the kite like on a normal board. if you give it too much back hand you will overtake the kite - quickly followed by an explosion. Keep the kite from 2 - 3 oclock ( not easy when you think your going too fast and your thighs are burning)

I am way too one sided. I thought I was OK but not enough windsurfing and too much snowboarding has made my goofy stance pathetic. This board really exposes it I had no idea it was this bad. So whilst I am pretty comfortable pushing hard on a port tack - starboard is pretty bad - frequent explosions. This may be one reason a cross over person may do very well in kite racing - if you raced windsurfers you should be pretty balanced.

You need way more power than you would think - you will be in a few M more kite than anyone else - when a TT is on a 7 you will need 10 - when they are on 12s you will be 15 or bigger. and when they are at home mowing the lawn and doing DIY cos theres not enough wind you will also be on a 15 and bigger!

Its not all bad tho - they are a piece off duff to tack - must be the momentum. Its the one thing I thought I would have trouble with as its not a skill I could be bothered with before - but it was a pleasant surprise. Also they will improve your kiting. I have found myself way more aggressive on to a surfboard - so I think the Monaro will take that even further - I dont know if its the improved fitness or technique or what but I am attacking things with a lot more confidence - I have more skills in my set - downloop gybes, tacks , switching stance at speed, - all great things to have on a surfboard - trust me once you have nailed raceboard gybes a surfboard gybe is like having super powers.

So I am enjoying the challenge - even though my sinuses are crying out for a holiday - I know it will get me fit and it will make me a better surfer.

Please any tips any one has for easing the pain? I would love to hear.

coleman
Very Frequent Poster

Postby coleman » Wed Sep 19, 2012 6:58 pm

mikesids wrote:Gidday,
Thinking of upgrading my Sector 52 v1.5 to a 54. The tri fin carver fin configuration appeals as potentially giving more control when blasting off the wind (am an ex-windsurfer) compared to the 52's quad fins. Can anyone who has ridden both versions of the boards above possibly comment at the differences in how they ride (Mike Birt , as an ex-windsurfer your comments would be greatly appreciated).

Cheers

I am also looking at this same upgrade. I am wanting more speed but i hear that the 60 is much more of a stable platform especially at speed. A friend of mine who owns the 60 v1 says that my 52v1 is "squirrley" by comparison and the 60 is much easier to blast through chop.

Mike Birt, what is your take on this....

Coleman

davesails7
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2006
Weight: 75 kg
Local Beach: Virginia Beach
Style: Race
Gear: ML B3
R1V2 11. VMG 13, 15, 18
OR Mako 130x35

Postby davesails7 » Wed Sep 19, 2012 7:56 pm

[quote="MikeBirt]
Thought I would revive this thread after taking delivery of a shiny new monaro V4 to replace my Naish Venturi...
I haven't ridden these specific boards, but after experience on the Cabrinha 183x59 with the stock fins (quad 23cm and 26cm) and a slightly too large for the board set of rista fins (quad 33.5cm and 37.5cm) I disagree with a lot of the statements quoted here.

Most of all the thought that on a raceboard you will be riding a kite 3 m^2 bigger than the guys on twintips!? More like 3 m^2 smaller than the guys on twintips!

Are there any places on the east coast of the US to demo a Sector? I've still never ridden one, but I'm always confused when I see people saying that the "real" raceboards are way too hard to ride. I live within day trip distance to the outer banks, but between the shallow water and endless supply of wind, raceboards have definitely not caught on there.

I'd love to ride a Sector and see what I'm missing :thumb:

Return to “Kitesurfing”