Local Beach: Wilmington, NC USA
Style: unknown yet
Gear: Looking to pick some up
Brand Affiliation: None
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

New to forum, help please

Postby redman333 » Fri Jun 01, 2012 5:53 pm

Ok, I was looking at buying a kiteboard setup but was un sure about it. I don't have a ton of money to spend on one but if I did I'd like to buy new. Well I was going to buy one and saw that the company real watersports rents them for 24hours at $150 so I decided to try that first on July 4th weekend.

Call me stubborn or stupid but I want to try to teach my self. I've watched a ton of instructional videos including reals and think I have an understanding of what to do. I am a very very quick learnt when it comes to these sort of things and I take my time.

With that said if anyone here has anything info for me other than take lessons, please post it. Any tips or tricks that can help a newbie learn as quick as possible. I have thought about buying a trainer kite before I go there just to see how the kite feels in the wind. Mi figure I can always sell it when I'm done with it or allow friends to use it if they want to learn.

Also mods if this is the wrong section can you please move it. Sorry.

Bain
Very Frequent Poster

Re: New to forum, help please

Postby Bain » Fri Jun 01, 2012 6:38 pm

Even if you are a very quick learnt, Real won't rent you a kite if you don't know how to kite.

redman333
Medium Poster

Postby redman333 » Fri Jun 01, 2012 6:48 pm

Bain wrote:Even if you are a very quick learnt, Real won't rent you a kite if you don't know how to kite.
I went there last weekend and they said they would, but they highly recommended me taking lessons.

KiteCulture
Very Frequent Poster
Gear: Epic Renegades, Screamer LTD
Brand Affiliation: EPIC kites www.epickites.com

Postby KiteCulture » Fri Jun 01, 2012 6:52 pm

hmmm. they wouldn't send out a jet ski to pick up a downed rider in danger due to liability, but will rent to people that can't fly a kite? Sounds fishy.

L0KI
Very Frequent Poster
Gear: .

Postby L0KI » Fri Jun 01, 2012 7:07 pm

If you are going to talk to anybody in Hatteras, talk to the folks at Kitty Hawk Kites.
Highly recommend that you get a small foil to train on.
I did not take professional lessons, I was taught by a buddy, but that was 8 years ago, when there were not "certified" teachers.
I bought 3M and a 5M foils and was able to train with those and actually feel a little bit of power.
Those sizes were more useful than the smallest trainers, and still very good for landboarding.
I took the 5M foil to the water for body dragging exercises, and then got up and going on a strapped directional with it.
Today, I would go to a shallow water spot and take lessons on the easy kites we have now.
Last edited by L0KI on Sun Apr 07, 2013 5:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Hawaiis
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Kailua

Postby Hawaiis » Fri Jun 01, 2012 7:15 pm

I would buy a trainer kite with the $150

redman333
Medium Poster

Postby redman333 » Fri Jun 01, 2012 7:22 pm

KiteCulture wrote:hmmm. they wouldn't send out a jet ski to pick up a downed rider in danger due to liability, but will rent to people that can't fly a kite? Sounds fishy.
I have no idea bud, I'm just relaying what I was told. If they don't they probably won't get my business when I go to purchase one either. So far though they have been pretty helpful to me.

redman333
Medium Poster

Postby redman333 » Fri Jun 01, 2012 7:24 pm

Oldnbroken wrote:If you are going to talk to anybody in Hatteras, talk to the folks at Kitty Hawk Kites.
Much better idea than Real Watersports.
But I highly recommend that you get a small foil to train on.
I did not take professional lessons, I was taught by a buddy, but that was 7-8 years ago, when there were not so many "qualified" teachers.
I got a larger foil than the normal 1-2 meter trainer, when I started.
I got 3.3 and a 5.5 meter foils and was able to train with those and actually feel a little bit of power.
Was more useful than the smallest ones, still really good for landboarding.
I took the 5.5 meter foil to the water for body dragging exercises and then got up on a Naish directional with it.
I saw them there last weekend, but didn't get a chance to stop in. I will definitely go there when I go to OBX. Another reason I decided not to use lessons is because a local trainer there actually told me that it used to be a good idea to get lessons but with the new equipment it's not too bad and someone could teach themselves pretty easily.

redman333
Medium Poster

Postby redman333 » Fri Jun 01, 2012 7:27 pm

Hawaiis wrote:I would buy a trainer kite with the $150
Well here's the deal, I'm going to rent one but I don't know if I should buy a trainer also. When I go there I'll only have about $1000 to put into a kite to buy, the next month I'll have enough to buy though. I was looking at picking up the liquid force NRG 12m whole setup.

I would like to have actually gotten up and have an idea of how to ride before I buy mine though. That's why I want to rent. Just not sure if I should buy a trainer now and have it to practice on until I go rent one.

Toby
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2000
Weight: 95 kg
Local Beach: Cumbuco, Brazil
Barra do Cauipe, Brazil
Favorite Beaches: same
Style: Airstyle
Gear: Rebel 2015 18
Brand Affiliation: None.

Postby Toby » Fri Jun 01, 2012 7:34 pm

150 usd for a board rent???
Wow, I will get into the rent business!

Take the 150 usd and use it for a course!
Your medical will be too high ti go kiting in the long future.

Kiting costs some money, spend it or stay away!

Return to “Kitesurfing”