Local Beach: Cumbuco, Brazil
Barra do Cauipe, Brazil
Favorite Beaches: same
Style: Airstyle
Gear: Rebel 2015 18
Brand Affiliation: None.

Re: New to forum, help please

Postby Toby » Wed Dec 05, 2012 2:43 am

I guess you will place your kite in your bed the first nights ;-)

redman333
Medium Poster
Local Beach: Wilmington, NC USA
Style: unknown yet
Gear: Looking to pick some up
Brand Affiliation: None
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Postby redman333 » Wed Dec 05, 2012 4:21 am

Toby wrote:I guess you will place your kite in your bed the first nights ;-)
No not quite but it's taking me a little more than 2 years to finally be able to get just the kite. I'm just a bit excited though.

redman333
Medium Poster

Postby redman333 » Wed Dec 05, 2012 11:54 pm

Finally got it today. Ill post some pics as soon as I figure how to do that with my iPad lol.

Toby
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2000
Weight: 95 kg
Local Beach: Cumbuco, Brazil
Barra do Cauipe, Brazil
Favorite Beaches: same
Style: Airstyle
Gear: Rebel 2015 18
Brand Affiliation: None.

Postby Toby » Thu Dec 06, 2012 12:22 am

sounds good! :thumb:

redman333
Medium Poster

Postby redman333 » Thu Dec 06, 2012 2:24 am

O so I finally figured it out. Here's kinda an un boxing event lol.

That's all I did so far was open the packaging. Ill pump it up tomorrow I think. Only to pump it up and repackage it again lol since I don't have anything else with it. Not yet at least. Maybe soon, depends on how antsy I get.

JBOZ
Medium Poster

Postby JBOZ » Thu Dec 06, 2012 3:40 am

I know I will be hated for this, but given the background of this guy and the sports he has been involved in, I would simply get a 2 hour lesson on all the safety aspects. As long as he has a mate standing by to help launch and retrieve.

The sports he has mentioned all involve lots of risk mitigation and assessment, the guys obviously got a brain. Lets face it, once you sort out the safety aspects, the rest of it is all about practice and perseverance. If you take out the litigation angle where we have all become very risk averse, it just comes down to having a conservative safety orientated attitude.

Don't condemn the guy for thinking he will have it sorted in a day or two, many think it, but few think it for long after they get a bit of experience.

Having said all of the above, I learnt on a beach that is clear for at least 5km with only a small number of kiters and many friendly locals keeping an eye out.

So I would suggest.

Wear a helmet.

Use the trainer kite until you can fly it without thinking especially as it is plummeting toward the earth. If you consistently pull in the correct direction to fix it, you are done.

Get a solid lesson or two and learn the safety (weather, kite function and unexpected hazzard), Learn how un-intuitive it is for some to let go of the bar.

Get good at body dragging so you can always get back to your board.

All of this will be fun anyway, then get a board and have some more fun.

All the best mate, you are in for some fun times.

robg
Medium Poster
Local Beach: VB VA

Postby robg » Thu Dec 06, 2012 4:01 am

redman333

When you are ready give Toeside Tom in Avon a call for those lessons. http://www.toesides.com

He has new LF gear and a nice ski. $300 for about 5 hours. You will not be able to do much more than that your first day anyway. Most people are wiped out after 4 hours. With any board skills and hopefuly some trainer time you will be up and riding by the end. I have seen it happen with several of my friends. He will also do followup lessons and guided downwinders at a much reduced rate as needed during your future visits to OBX. I tried two of the other big shops at first and learned a ton more with Tom for less money.

Lots of good advice in this thread!

redman333
Medium Poster

Postby redman333 » Thu Dec 06, 2012 4:43 am

JBOZ wrote:I know I will be hated for this, but given the background of this guy and the sports he has been involved in, I would simply get a 2 hour lesson on all the safety aspects. As long as he has a mate standing by to help launch and retrieve.

The sports he has mentioned all involve lots of risk mitigation and assessment, the guys obviously got a brain. Lets face it, once you sort out the safety aspects, the rest of it is all about practice and perseverance. If you take out the litigation angle where we have all become very risk averse, it just comes down to having a conservative safety orientated attitude.

Don't condemn the guy for thinking he will have it sorted in a day or two, many think it, but few think it for long after they get a bit of experience.

Having said all of the above, I learnt on a beach that is clear for at least 5km with only a small number of kiters and many friendly locals keeping an eye out.

So I would suggest.

Wear a helmet.

Use the trainer kite until you can fly it without thinking especially as it is plummeting toward the earth. If you consistently pull in the correct direction to fix it, you are done.

Get a solid lesson or two and learn the safety (weather, kite function and unexpected hazzard), Learn how un-intuitive it is for some to let go of the bar.

Get good at body dragging so you can always get back to your board.

All of this will be fun anyway, then get a board and have some more fun.

All the best mate, you are in for some fun times.
Hey thanks for having my back a bit but either way I've desided on taking lessons. I figure if at around $300 and it keeps me from maybe destroying my brand new $800 kite then it's worth it. I do pick up pretty quick but I can't say I've learned any sport immediately I've fallen at least a few times on everything I've tried. So why not wreck a kite that a school knows is going to be crashed instead of mine ad take a little wear and tear off of my equipment. As far as hitting other things or staying clear of obstacles I'm pretty good with that so I wasn't too worried about that part.

Anyway I can't wait to get the rest of my gear and get on the water.

redman333
Medium Poster

Postby redman333 » Thu Dec 06, 2012 4:47 am

robg wrote:redman333

When you are ready give Toeside Tom in Avon a call for those lessons. http://www.toesides.com

He has new LF gear and a nice ski. $300 for about 5 hours. You will not be able to do much more than that your first day anyway. Most people are wiped out after 4 hours. With any board skills and hopefuly some trainer time you will be up and riding by the end. I have seen it happen with several of my friends. He will also do followup lessons and guided downwinders at a much reduced rate as needed during your future visits to OBX. I tried two of the other big shops at first and learned a ton more with Tom for less money.

Lots of good advice in this thread!
Hey thanks I haven't heard of this place before. I didn't know there was a school that had LF gear that would be great for me. I was originally planning on using the schools gear but bringing mine with me and towards the end use my gear if they'd allow it. This will be great. I haven't decided whether I want to learn while its still chilly out or wait til it gets warm. I'm kinda a little girl when it comes to cold water but I think I could tough it out for some lessons. I am extremely excited to learn and start riding.

saltire
Medium Poster

Postby saltire » Tue Jan 08, 2013 2:30 pm

No reason why they would not allow you to take your own gear and the fact its brand new is even better .I wish i had taken my own gear when i had my second set of lessons as i hated the kites the centre used .
Hope it all works out for you and first and foremost enjoy and make the most your time . I am kinda glad that i live in Europe as it seems the USA is one of the most expensive places to have lessons , .

Return to “Kitesurfing”