Contact   Imprint   Advertising   Guidelines

Rec for good jumping surfboard and small conditions

Forum for kitesurfers
markchatwin
Very Frequent Poster
Brand Affiliation: None

Rec for good jumping surfboard and small conditions

Postby markchatwin » Tue Jun 05, 2012 2:33 pm

I currently have a big 5'7" Fish Twin Keel for light wind and a 5'11" Doc Lausch Surf Pro for strapless riding. What I'm finding is I need a break from strapless riding and so I put on my TT and jump off the waves for some fun. Trouble is when I come back with the waves I can't surf them very well with a TT. I'd like a kite specific surfboard with straps that I can jump with that won't blow all over the place once in the air (i.e. smaller) and land well (low shock to legs). Then I'd like it to be a nice "surfer" on the way back. I guess I'm thinking something with some tail width or overall width for stability for busting through shore break which can be intense in higher wind at my lake. Any ideas?

One I was thinking about was Epic's 5'7" Reef...

robertovillate
Very Frequent Poster
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Re: Rec for good jumping surfboard and small conditions

Postby robertovillate » Tue Jun 05, 2012 4:06 pm

Spleene Zone does this very well.

It's great for boosting big airs and landing on wave faces when you want to ride strapped. Board is bombproof. I have beat the shote out of mine for 5 year and no signs of fatigue, plus this board travels real well.

I have the older model (159cm) and I also have access to a newer Zone (174 cm) if you are interested. Spleene does not make either of these boards anymore so they are hard to find.

markchatwin
Very Frequent Poster

Postby markchatwin » Tue Jun 05, 2012 5:36 pm

Hi RV - We met at St. Pete's beach by chance a year ago last April in super light winds. How's it going? Anyhow your 174 Zone - is it thruster or quad? Also whats the approx tail width, center width, and nose width? If it's possible... Thanks!

SupaEZ
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Space coast Florida 5th street
Favorite Beaches: One block from condo
Style: surfboard strap waves transitions
Gear: Boards quads & tri
Kites19-17-12-10-8-6-5 sqm

Postby SupaEZ » Tue Jun 05, 2012 5:47 pm

markchatwin wrote:I currently have a big 5'7" Fish Twin Keel for light wind and a 5'11" Doc Lausch Surf Pro for strapless riding. What I'm finding is I need a break from strapless riding and so I put on my TT and jump off the waves for some fun. Trouble is when I come back with the waves I can't surf them very well with a TT. I'd like a kite specific surfboard with straps that I can jump with that won't blow all over the place once in the air (i.e. smaller) and land well (low shock to legs). Then I'd like it to be a nice "surfer" on the way back. I guess I'm thinking something with some tail width or overall width for stability for busting through shore break which can be intense in higher wind at my lake. Any ideas?

One I was thinking about was Epic's 5'7" Reef...
As you recall i am your weight (75kg)
I use this board with my 12M or 10M Rebel 2011
I am talking about the 2011 5'7" North Whip
It is a Quad fins with a width of 18 5/8" with a nice wide diamond tail

Very nice straps and cushioned pads.
That board eats shorebreak and drift for lunch :D

Awesome well built board.......jumped the heck out of it (15 footers with kiteloops)........still looks immaculate
Goes effortlessly upwind toeside.....very stable in all type jibes ....FUN...FUN...FUN

My favorite board ...(works well in 8- 9-10knots) with my XR2LW 19 also.....will jump & kiteloop nicely in 11 knots wind

For higher winds 8M or 6M i go for my gunshape Kontact 2010 5'9" 16 7/8" wide Tri fin pintail

.............................. :surf: :sun: ............................................................

14ToeSide
Very Frequent Poster
Favorite Beaches: Sandy Spit
Gear: North, Ozone, Naish, Flysurfer
Brand Affiliation: What ever works Best that year

Postby 14ToeSide » Tue Jun 05, 2012 6:04 pm

+1 for SupaEZ! I need to eat drift and shore break! My drift is KILLIN me! I am getting a Whip and WHIP up on the DRIFT!! :happybirthday: :happybirthday:

tautologies
Very Frequent Poster

Postby tautologies » Tue Jun 05, 2012 10:03 pm

the 5'5'' Naish Global. Has surprisingly good low end, but hold any amount of power.

It is guaranteed what you are looking for. Use it quad...you will not even need a wave to kick off...

to boot, it rides waves well too...

robertovillate
Very Frequent Poster
Been thanked: 0

Postby robertovillate » Tue Jun 05, 2012 11:33 pm

The larger Zone shown is a quad.

I have dimensions on the small one but not the large one. PM your email address and I'll send a drawing to you. 174xm Zone: Same basic outline, but the larger board is slightly wider (proportionately) and has more rocker in the nose. The larger Zone also has more insert (stance) options. My friend is supposed to bring the 174 to me sometime soon and I can get some dimensions then but not sure when that will be. BTW that board is for sale and is practiaclly brand new and the dude has only ridden it a few times.

These boards have nice flex and are great in chop. They can hold down a lot of power with that flex and be very efficient in light wind as well. The small Zone (tri) is a little more "loose" and the 174 really rips upwind with the quad setup. I'd say the larger Zone would allow 2-3m smaller kite for most people than the 159 size.

These boards carve bottom and top turns really nice and you can really spank a wave good. The "surfing" feel is also really good, but I will not go as far as saying it's the "same" as a surfboard with volume. But when it's choppy mash potatoey waves and blowing hard this is a great board. Also when their are some decent waves and the wind is on shore and a little marginal this board works really well, makes it easy to get thru the shorebreak, and get upwind and off the beach fast.

This is the only board I have with straps mounted to it all the time but you can easily ride this board strapless too.

when I travel I sandwich the surfboards between the zone on one side and kites on the other in a day bag and in the bag on top of the surfboards and some kites have had zero damage from air travel.

Dimitri M
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: I travel all over the world.
Favorite Beaches: So many to list....
Style: MY OWN STYLE :-)
Gear: SCREAMER 7/9/12/14 for Free Style. Not to forget the SCREAMER 10 LTD for my one go kite.
SURF 8 & 12 for the waves. RENEGADE 6.5 and 9 for all around kiting. And some times I use my son's JUNIOR PRO 4 when it blows 45+ for the waves.
Just try the EPICKITES and you will see for yourself.
Brand Affiliation: Owner of EPIC KITES

Postby Dimitri M » Wed Jun 06, 2012 2:44 pm

Hello Mr. markchatwin,
I think the best thing for you to do is go to any surf shop and try to find a used surf board that is in good shape and is not more then $200. Also make sure it is not bigger then 6'2". Then go to the NSI web site and buy some stick on PADS so you can screw foot straps on. This will be the best way to go. Or you can always invest some money and buy one of the kitesurf boards that most of the kite companies offers. They are all very good.
For example we at EPIC kites do offer the REEF 5'7" ATV and the REEF 6'0" surf boards. As you can see from the pictures I have been testing them in all kind of conditions and during big jumps. These surf boards come complete with STRAPS/PADS/FINS/BAG/LEASH for $749 for the REEF 6'0" and $799 for the REEF 5'7".
But remember Surf Boards are made for surfing not for jumping. We put as much reinforcement as we can on our EPIC surf boards but still you have to be careful with the jumping and you have to know how to land soft so you don't break it.

P.S. Also the good thing about the REEF surf boards is that you can buy separately the PLATE PAD that you can screw on the board if you want to go with straps or remove it if you want to go strapless.
Attachments
DSC_0007.jpg
DSC_0032.jpg
DSC_0058.jpg
DSC_0035.jpg
DSCN2803 1.jpg
DSCN2808 2.jpg
Epic050812-045 - Version 2.jpg
Epic050812-085.jpg
GPV-91.jpg
Epic050812-051.jpg
IMG_6715 - Version 2.jpg
GPV-59.jpg
Epic050812-074.jpg

SupaEZ
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Space coast Florida 5th street
Favorite Beaches: One block from condo
Style: surfboard strap waves transitions
Gear: Boards quads & tri
Kites19-17-12-10-8-6-5 sqm

Postby SupaEZ » Wed Jun 06, 2012 9:04 pm

markchatwin wrote: Any ideas?
The 2011 Whip 5'7" x 18.6" is a better size IMO than 2012 Whip 5'6" x 18.2 for you
What you need in the 2012 model is the Whip 5'8" x 18.8"
This is what i would buy if i was to sell my 5'7" and replace it
Just look for more info on Big Winds website or maybe your local store can get it too :D

Best of luck................Supa :surf: :sun: ...........................................................

markchatwin
Very Frequent Poster

Postby markchatwin » Thu Jun 07, 2012 11:28 pm

I'm really wondering about the size issue on these types of boards. Roberto's is a 44cm wide which is 17.3" wide which doesn't seem too wide to me. Seems like you'd need a lot of power to keep that baby afloat. It's about 5'8" on the length but I'm sure as the speed increases it would rock. I think for heel side upwind riding (which is a large part of what I have to do on my home lake) that maybe more tail and volume is needed.

I'm 5'8" and 165 lbs... On the North Whips I talked to at least 8 different people who have ridden the 5'6" and 5'8" and half of them say 5'6" is without a doubt the size for me. The other half say for my needs the 5'8" is for me. The folks that say the 5'6" is for me think the 5'8" is totally ridiculously too big and more for a 200 pounder. The folks that pitch the 5'8" say that the 5'8" is going to allow more flotation and upwindabilty for my conditions which are not ocean surf but inland lake rollers and lots of upwind riding to get at the rollers which are farther out. They also acknowledge the sacrifice to the turns which would be quicker on the 5'6".

Another issue SupaEZ brings up is that the tail has been narrowed on the 2012's and he would go to the 5'8" from the 2011 5'7" that he is used to riding to make up for that. Specs on the 2012 are:

SIZES
5’4” x 18’ x 2”
5’6” x 18 ¼” x 2 1/8”
5’8” x 18 ¾” x 2 3/16”

Any thoughts on surfboard size?

Return to “Kitesurfing”