dyyylan
Very Frequent Poster
Gear: N/A
Has thanked: 0

Re: C-kite vs SLE power?

Postby dyyylan » Sun Jul 01, 2012 11:21 pm

jedi1 wrote:
alohasurfer73 wrote:Thanks Jedi1!
Hmm... I love the Park 2012, but I've been kiting for 6 years and just wanna take it to the next level, if you know what I mean. I've come more and more into doing unhooked tricks lately. I actually don't know if the Torch is better for me, to be honest. It just feels like the natural next step.

What do you mean when you say "sine"? Working the kite up and down?
That's exactly what I mean by sining.

After so many years kiting, you shouldn't have a problem with switching to a C kite, but better test it if you like it. There are people, who just don't like C kites and sometimes it has nothing to do with their riding level, so you should better see if it suits before you buy.

I am a happy C kite user and wouldn't want to switch it to anything else. I ride Fuels though.

I've never ridden a Park, but heard only good things about this kite. It seems to do well unhooked, as it is the weapon of choice of Sam Light.*
*for sliders

recoprianto
Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Kitebeach, Maui
Favorite Beaches: Sherman Island, CA; La Ventana, Mexico; all of NE Brazil; Kite Beach, Maui
Style: Freeride
Gear: North Neo, North Dice, Custom Surf, North Team Series
Brand Affiliation: North USA team rider

Postby recoprianto » Sun Jul 01, 2012 11:26 pm

If you are an advanced kiter modern c's are prob the only thing that will satisfy you.
Last edited by recoprianto on Mon Jul 02, 2012 6:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Pump me up
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 1999
Gear: Inflatables

Postby Pump me up » Mon Jul 02, 2012 3:52 am

alohasurfer73 wrote:Is it true what they say, that you need to add one square meter on a c-kite to get the same power as a bridled one? I mean for example if I have the 10 meter Park, and I want the same power and low end in a Torch, then do I need to buy the 11 meter Torch?
And also, can I hold a Torch 11 in as strong wind as I can hold a Park 10? I can hold the Park 10 in about 28-30 knots, then I change to the 8.
No, the 1m rule is not correct.

C-kites and bow kites have the same power if they are the SAME size.

Keep in mind that kite manufacturers only use numbers (10m Park, etc) as a guideline. A kite may be anywhere between 9m and 11m in surface area, even if it listed as a "10m".

"Projected area" is an illogical design concept and is a throwback from 10 years ago. It is still used by some people with a limited understanding of kite aerodynamics. "Projected area" assumes a kite's power is proportional to the size of kite's "shadow" - INCORRECT. This misconception ignores the fact that those parts of a kite not in the "projected area", e.g. wingtips on a C-kite, develop as much power per unit area as the "projected" part of the kite. Wind doesn't strike a kite at right-angles (the assumption implicit in the concept of "projected area"), it essentially travels parallel to the kite's surface.

To try to make the concept simpler: Think about a windsurfer or a sailboat. Their "wings" are essentially perpendicular to the water (for the sake of the argument - in a similar orientation to the tips of a C-kite), but still generate power and lift.

There are significant differences in handling, glide, etc, between a C-kite or bow kite. But not in POWER, assuming they REALLY are the same size.

Pumpy
Last edited by Pump me up on Mon Jul 02, 2012 3:58 am, edited 1 time in total.

edt
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2010
Local Beach: Michigan
Gear: ride hard, no regrets

Postby edt » Mon Jul 02, 2012 3:57 am

Pump me up wrote:This misconception ignores the fact that those parts of a kite not in the "projected area", e.g. wingtips on a C-kite, develop as much power as the "projected" part of the kite. In addition, wind doesn't strike a kite's projected area (i.e. at right angles), it essentially travels parallel to the kite's surface.
I like how you are able to defy the laws of aerodynamics Pumpy.

alohasurfer73
Medium Poster
Favorite Beaches: Dolphin Beach, Cape Town.
Style: Aggresive freeride
Gear: Naish
Been thanked: 0

Postby alohasurfer73 » Mon Jul 02, 2012 8:27 am

Wow, this kiting business really is science on a high level that I normally don't think about, I just take the kite and go! 8)

I guess I'm on an advanced level, but that depends on what you mean by advanced I guess. I've been kiting for six years, in many different parts of the globe. I can handle big waves and I can do a few unhooked tricks like raley and pop to blind.

marinjo
Rare Poster
Style: I won to begin
Brand Affiliation: None

Postby marinjo » Mon Jul 02, 2012 9:04 am

very interesting discussion..I have one simple questions for you guys..I ride bandit5 12m and north evo 12m, and I want to buy new kite for unhooking, and I am very interesting for north vegas 14m...can I been on the water at the same time with vegas14m like I would be with bandit5 12 ??? ..I never tried vegas and I must buy kite in next 2 weeks..tnx a lot!!!

Peter_Frank
Very Frequent Poster

Postby Peter_Frank » Mon Jul 02, 2012 5:05 pm

marinjo wrote:very interesting discussion..I have one simple questions for you guys..I ride bandit5 12m and north evo 12m, and I want to buy new kite for unhooking, and I am very interesting for north vegas 14m...can I been on the water at the same time with vegas14m like I would be with bandit5 12 ??? ..I never tried vegas and I must buy kite in next 2 weeks..tnx a lot!!!
Just curious - why do you have two very similar kites in 12m2 ? :wink:

If very different, like a wavekite versus a powerkite, or a flat kite kite versus a C kite - having kites in the same size is fine (I have done that too).

But maybe your Evo is way bigger than the bandit in power ? (depending a lot on what year it is) :thumb:

To answer your question: I think the Vegas14 would fit fine for the same wind as your Bandit12 8)
Maybe some can get even closer, if they have tried both ?

:D Peter

marinjo
Rare Poster
Style: I won to begin

Postby marinjo » Mon Jul 02, 2012 7:24 pm

I have bandit5 12m and I tried many times north evo 12m(2012) my friend have it..and just want the opinion of someone who has tried these three kite

davesails7
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2006
Weight: 75 kg
Local Beach: Virginia Beach
Style: Race
Gear: ML B3
R1V2 11. VMG 13, 15, 18
OR Mako 130x35

Postby davesails7 » Mon Jul 02, 2012 10:16 pm

marinjo wrote:very interesting discussion..I have one simple questions for you guys..I ride bandit5 12m and north evo 12m, and I want to buy new kite for unhooking, and I am very interesting for north vegas 14m...can I been on the water at the same time with vegas14m like I would be with bandit5 12 ??? ..I never tried vegas and I must buy kite in next 2 weeks..tnx a lot!!!
Getting a C Kite for your largest kite seems like a bad choice. People have differing opinions on whether or not they like C-Kites for 12 meters and smaller, but most people agree that the C-kites can't compete in light winds. Lots of people have quivers of small C-kites, but have a big SLE or BOW for the largest size.

Tried out a friend's 2011 Torch 10m, and I was surprised how much more depower it had compared to the last C kites I tried back in 2005 and 2006. We are about the same size on similar sized boards and he is usually riding his 12m Torch when I'm on my 11.5m Kahoona. He's actually picking up a 14m park, to go with his torches, so I'll let you know.

edt
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2010
Local Beach: Michigan
Gear: ride hard, no regrets

Postby edt » Mon Jul 02, 2012 10:55 pm

davesails7 wrote: Getting a C Kite for your largest kite seems like a bad choice. People have differing opinions on whether or not they like C-Kites for 12 meters and smaller, but most people agree that the C-kites can't compete in light winds.
absolutely nothing wrong with a large C some of them can def compete with the modern lite wind kites, mostly the big C kites are more sluggish.

There is something to be said for having a bow kite in high winds the reason being that it's usually gustier and it is truely a pain in the buttox to have to go back to shore and change kites every time the wind goes up and down, while having a C kite as your lite wind kite means instead of doing kiteloops and big airs and boardoffs, instead you can do your wakestyle stuff, and C kites are ideal for wakestyle.

I think it would be nice if everyone has at least one foil kite, a C kite and a bow kite, but unfortunately we aren't made of money so we have to pick and choose.

Return to “Kitesurfing”