Medium Poster
Local Beach: none
Style: freeride
Gear: Slingshot Shinn
Brand Affiliation: None
Has thanked: 0

surfboard for 88k

Postby letsgoflyakite » Sun Aug 26, 2012 8:53 pm

Looking to get my first surfboard for kiting. I am 88k, and mainly kite in south coast uk , which means crappy small choppy waves. I am looking to use a smaller kite than I would use with my TT for this, so a light wind board? Can anyone help steer me in the right direction? I can gybe a small windsurf board, so foot changes should be familiar. Thanks

tautologies
Very Frequent Poster

Re: surfboard for 88k

Postby tautologies » Sun Aug 26, 2012 9:12 pm

letsgoflyakite wrote:Looking to get my first surfboard for kiting. I am 88k, and mainly kite in south coast uk , which means crappy small choppy waves. I am looking to use a smaller kite than I would use with my TT for this, so a light wind board? Can anyone help steer me in the right direction? I can gybe a small windsurf board, so foot changes should be familiar. Thanks
How crappy and how small? Strapped or strapless? For strapless I've been riding the Naish skater a lot lately..actually almost only. You can easily ride great waves with it, but it is also fun in smaller waves...it is super fun to try out new things on, and the construction is bulletproof with the layer of pvc under the bamboo. The 5'9'' should be a great board for your weight. The width gives you a little extra low end unless you have a huge TT.

For strapped I ride the Naish Global. I had the 6'1'' but now have the 5'10''. Naish also has a fish in their lineup. That board excels in light wind and shitty waves, global and fish can be ridden 3 or 4 or 5 fins...comes with bag too. This your they make a hybrid surfboard / ligthwindboard, that will definitely take care of the lightwind side of things....will work in small surf too, but super snappy like the global line.

mike dubs
Frequent Poster
Local Beach: southend, whitstable, camber
Favorite Beaches: west end of camber sands
Style: Surf
Gear: FireWire, BWS drifter, nobble skim board, 12/9/7 bandit 5's

Postby mike dubs » Mon Aug 27, 2012 7:20 am

I'm 85kg and ride south coast too at Camber Sands. I have a number of boards that work well for me in these conditions. FireWire 5'11 taj, BWS drifter and Mulcoy, mobile skim and a D'light custom. all strapless

If you use the kite to take more of your weight, it helps. As your first board, there are loads out there but something about 6 or 6'2 x about 18.5 inches with a medium to flattish rocker and a bit of thickness, but not too much would be fine as a good first board. Some Naishes, FireWire, slingshot or wainmans would be great. Plenty of reviews in kitesurfing or kiteworld mag.

Mike

letsgoflyakite
Medium Poster
Local Beach: none
Style: freeride
Gear: Slingshot Shinn

Postby letsgoflyakite » Mon Aug 27, 2012 3:36 pm

Thanks. Camber is a favourite. I am now leaning towards a North Whip, seems ideal for the mushy imperfect waves and the 5'8 is fairly floaty, so far as I have heard. Any thoughts?

mike dubs
Frequent Poster
Local Beach: southend, whitstable, camber
Favorite Beaches: west end of camber sands
Style: Surf
Gear: FireWire, BWS drifter, nobble skim board, 12/9/7 bandit 5's

Postby mike dubs » Mon Aug 27, 2012 4:30 pm

Have heard good reports, but I've never ridden one. There have been sme previous posts on the whip so you should check them out. within 6-9 months of riding your first surfboard you'll know what feel you want anyway and will probably change.

My only tip is leave your TT at home for a good 6-8 sessions and ride the surfboard regardless.

mike

tautologies
Very Frequent Poster

Postby tautologies » Mon Aug 27, 2012 8:05 pm

mike dubs wrote:Have heard good reports, but I've never ridden one. There have been sme previous posts on the whip so you should check them out. within 6-9 months of riding your first surfboard you'll know what feel you want anyway and will probably change.

My only tip is leave your TT at home for a good 6-8 sessions and ride the surfboard regardless.

mike
I would agree with this. Note you will not change because the board is bad or anything, but there is ALWAYS the hunt for the perfect board, and since what is the perfect board changes with your skills, style and riding conditions you'll always be on the hunt :-)

spleeft
Medium Poster
Style: Waves
Gear: North Vegas, surfboards
Been thanked: 0

Postby spleeft » Mon Aug 27, 2012 9:21 pm

letsgoflyakite wrote:Looking to get my first surfboard for kiting. I am 88k, and mainly kite in south coast uk , which means crappy small choppy waves. I am looking to use a smaller kite than I would use with my TT for this, so a light wind board? Can anyone help steer me in the right direction? I can gybe a small windsurf board, so foot changes should be familiar. Thanks
I suggest saving your money and just get a used surfboard for 100-200$. Get one a little larger than you would think 6'2" x 18.5-19 or larger. Then ,after you get good at riding that, you'll have a much better idea what you want in a production stamped out board (with all the pretty colors and pro rider model bells and whistles ) that will cost you $700+.

Return to “Kitesurfing”