Favorite Beaches: Pigs Bay El Medano
Style: Having fun!
Gear: 2017 Airush Union 6/9/12 and 135 Shinn Ronson
Brand Affiliation: Airush/Shinn
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Spreader Bar Failure

Postby John-B » Wed Sep 05, 2012 8:46 pm

Having a powered 11m session last night when my spreader bar snapped and fully detached. Luckily I was doing a carve transition and I was ripped from my footstraps before the bar was ripped from me and because I attach my leash to part of it my kite took a few tumbles dragging the lines with it before settling LE down. Lucky as; the tide was going out and there was room upwind; escaped with only some staved fingers and a badly bruised hand; and lucky because I was doing some pretty big jumps in what was, due to the tide, pretty shallow water.

The spreader bar is less than a year old, there is no sign of rust, or wear.There was no warning, it happened so fast I had no time to react and it was pretty violent. I emailed the manufacturer who has offered a warranty replacement no quibbles; however a quick google shows that this is more common that you might think on these bars. Also irrespective of this how many failures like this is too many? This is a critical piece of equipment and it made me think what if this had happened at a busy launch such as where I go on holiday like El Medano, or if another water user had been nearby?

This is something that probably 99% of people cannot be spot easily (how many kiters are welders/fabricators). Unlike some other parts it doesn't show any obvious signs of wear or use and should a spreader bar have a shelf life and what is this in hours/use?

Yes it is a Dakine Hammerhead. As stated they and the UK distributor were quick to reply and offer a warranty replacement (how much confidence do I have in this?) but my emailing them was not for this purpose and I suggested as above - how many failures are too many before they look at the manufacturing of these?

Therefore this is not a 'name and shame' thread but I want to find out if this has happened to others, or with other bars. I think if I have enough evidence then I'll forward it to Dakine. This is not me simply feeling aggrieved. I do think this is a serious safety issue and if there is any potential for this to fail in such a way then surely the manufacturer has to look at the design/quality control. I have googled and can't seem to find this issue with other brands so wondering if anyone out there has had it happen to them on any brand?

yuko
Medium Poster
Local Beach: Oka
Gear: Airush
Brand Affiliation: None

Re: Spreader Bar Failure

Postby yuko » Wed Sep 05, 2012 8:55 pm

Shiittt , that's the one I have! Bought it this year, will be keeping an eye on it!

Laughingman
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Kettle Point, Mitchell's Bay, Rondeau Bay
Favorite Beaches: Kettle Point, Mitchell's Bay, Rondeau Bay, Long Bay, Cayo Guillermo, La Ventana
Gear: Ocean Rodeo Gen6 Flites 10m, 12m Gen2 Roams 6m and 8m, Cloud D 4.8, 6.2, 8.0, 10.4
Xeon Laluz, Mako Wide 150, Jellyfish Custom surf board quad fin 6', LF Impulse Foil and Kanaha Shapes 37" board
Engine Harness with slider

Postby Laughingman » Wed Sep 05, 2012 9:08 pm

This was covered a month or so ago... see this thread

viewtopic.php?f=1&t=2376722&start=0

tautologies
Very Frequent Poster

Postby tautologies » Wed Sep 05, 2012 9:27 pm

I took out one of those every 3 months...first the pivoting, then the regular until I gave up.

topmick
Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Sunshine Coast
Favorite Beaches: Cotton Tree
Style: surf
Gear: Switch
FireWire

Postby topmick » Wed Sep 05, 2012 10:55 pm

Looks like the hook is breaking just next to the weld in the (Heat Affected Zone).
Obviously a wide spread problem, Dakine should rectify this before someone gets badly injured.

Another thread here.
http://www.seabreeze.com.au/forums/Kite ... eak-often/

SupaEZ
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Space coast Florida 5th street
Favorite Beaches: One block from condo
Style: surfboard strap waves transitions
Gear: Boards quads & tri
Kites19-17-12-10-8-6-5 sqm

Postby SupaEZ » Wed Sep 05, 2012 11:00 pm

Dear John B.........you can be sure that they know (Da Kine)

No need to send them testimonies and proof

You can almost be sure that at least 1000 failures have happened worldwide

I myself had 3 Da Kine spreader bar failures just like that :roll:

Multiply that by 333 other kiters worldwide for the past 13 years...and you have your answer

YET they still fabricate the same thing over and over and over...and have clear conscience to sell it

The long hook is too far from the spreader and the weak spot areas cannot handle the leverage

A beefed up shorter hook like on my Mystic Warrior has near zero chance of ever ever breaking

Who has time to worry about stupid design failure stuff like that on the water

.......................... :surf: .......................................................................................................

pj sofine
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2001
Style: silly
Gear: naish pivots 9,11, rpm 7,8,10,12 cf raptor ltd 136,140

Postby pj sofine » Wed Sep 05, 2012 11:01 pm

If you look really close you can usually see where it started. discoloration of the metal.Tough to spot beforehand, very rarely inspect regularly. I've been through 3-4. My new bar has 3 contact points,holding up nice for a 225 lb 'er.Welds held up nicely on yours,simple ss fatigue

lakelavonkiter
Rare Poster

Postby lakelavonkiter » Wed Sep 05, 2012 11:05 pm

I was just looking at my spreader bar and harness, an older T3 DaKine, could the problem be that on the newer harness's the spreader bar is so locked down that the hook is under more stress? I can never get mine that tight even with the bar pad there is always some slack and that allows the bar pivot up some when needed.

Keith

Kamikuza
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Sabae Beach
Favorite Beaches: Ol' Stinky
Gear: This, that, the other

Postby Kamikuza » Thu Sep 06, 2012 1:09 am

I told Dakine, they put a new one in the post for me...
pj sofine wrote:My new bar has 3 contact points,holding up nice for a 225 lb 'er.Welds held up nicely on yours,simple ss fatigue
What brand - or is it DIY?

pj sofine
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2001
Style: silly
Gear: naish pivots 9,11, rpm 7,8,10,12 cf raptor ltd 136,140

Postby pj sofine » Thu Sep 06, 2012 2:34 am

Cabrinha
Attachments
furniture 002.jpg