Forum for kitesurfers
Kamikuza
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Sabae Beach
Favorite Beaches: Ol' Stinky
Gear: This, that, the other

Do I want a North Nugget?

Postby Kamikuza » Sat Sep 08, 2012 11:13 am

Find myself wanting a beginner directional board... at the ocean beach near our house, we get crappy little waves with nasty chop between them ie. no flat water for easy building up speed and smooth boosting :(

Been lusting after a Sector but there's no Airush dealer in Japan here. And I think I want something to play in the waves a little, without being a full-on 'surfboard' directional. But still perform well in light wind...

So... easy to ride and get used to.
Easy riding through crappy chop.
Good upwind and light wind performance.
Not a race board with monster fins.
Can play in small waves...

All the reviews etc I've read seem to point at the North Nugget but... is that all there is?

Séb
Frequent Poster
Gear: Flysurfer, Core, Shinn, Moses, Horue
Brand Affiliation: None

Re: Do I want a North Nugget?

Postby Séb » Sat Sep 08, 2012 1:40 pm

Cabrinha Subwoofer : http://www.cabrinhakites.com/surf-boards/subwoofer.html

F-One new Fish 5'10" :

I just ordered the new F-One fish for next spring. I will use it for light wind and when there is some little waves with chop. Theses three look interesting, I bet they are all fun to ride in similar conditions. All interesting also to learn strapless and surf as they are wide, much easier to learn. That will be my day surf here since we have a lot of LW, much more fun than on a large TT IMHO.

xray
Very Frequent Poster
Favorite Beaches: Mauritius
Style: Freeride/wave
Gear: Pivot 5-8
Has thanked: 0

Postby xray » Sat Sep 08, 2012 6:43 pm

Nugget surely fits the bill you're making well!
Big thumbs up on all the points you mentioned!

tautologies
Very Frequent Poster

Postby tautologies » Sat Sep 08, 2012 8:51 pm

Anything that is great in lightwind will not be ideal in chop...but yeah the nugget..I think that cab board above looks good

Naish has the bullet http://www.naishkites.com/2013/Bullet/ and
the fish http://www.naishkites.com/2013/Fish/
the fish is a little wider.

tony montana
Frequent Poster
Local Beach: naples fl
Favorite Beaches: naples fl
Style: waverider
Gear: north
Brand Affiliation: north nash cabrina any kite with a safety system that works i mean works
Been thanked: 0

Postby tony montana » Sat Sep 08, 2012 11:19 pm

Had kitefish about as useful waveriding as an ashtray on a motor bike,got a nugget great board,good in chop and waves.drives upwind,good light wind board,hopes this helps,TONY

Kamikuza
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Sabae Beach
Favorite Beaches: Ol' Stinky
Gear: This, that, the other

Postby Kamikuza » Sat Sep 08, 2012 11:39 pm

Cab and North, not 100% sure we can get the boards here...! but I know we can get Naish boards cos they kind of sponsor the local club house and everyone seems to have them!

The outline of the Bullet and Fish look a bit different--as does the placement of the fins... how will that affect the ride?
From the description on the Naish page, it looks like the Bullet is more suited to flat water...?

Oh PS. I have ZERO surfing experience... unless you count body-surfing or snowboarding :o so I'm not (yet) interested in riding waves--I'd just like to be able to bomb over the chop, rather than bouncing up and down and stop/starting all the time :(

Westozzy
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Mandurah
Style: Freeride, wave
Gear: Rebel, Vegas 2012

Postby Westozzy » Sun Sep 09, 2012 12:52 am

Mate have you considered a bigger TT with flex built in. Reckon a lot of the characteristics of the nugget might be wasted on what you want. Also you will need to learn to gybe.

fernmanus
Very Frequent Poster

Postby fernmanus » Sun Sep 09, 2012 2:30 am

You should consider a Ocean Rodeo Mako. Fits the bill for what you want and you don't have to learn to jibe.

syuzhak
Medium Poster
Local Beach: Chicago, IL
Style: Freeride
Gear: Flysurfer Speed3, Switchblade3 10m, Eh Ripper 9m, Best waroo 7m, Naish Torch 6m
Been thanked: 0

Postby syuzhak » Sun Sep 09, 2012 2:47 am

Dont listen to the twintippers! A surfboard or a freerace board feels so much nicer. The North Nugget will be fun strapless. Also take a look at the North Freerace it is much more usable than a raceboard, and its a good choice if you dont want a surfboard.

tautologies
Very Frequent Poster

Postby tautologies » Sun Sep 09, 2012 3:19 am

Kamikuza wrote:Cab and North, not 100% sure we can get the boards here...! but I know we can get Naish boards cos they kind of sponsor the local club house and everyone seems to have them!

The outline of the Bullet and Fish look a bit different--as does the placement of the fins... how will that affect the ride?
From the description on the Naish page, it looks like the Bullet is more suited to flat water...?

Oh PS. I have ZERO surfing experience... unless you count body-surfing or snowboarding :o so I'm not (yet) interested in riding waves--I'd just like to be able to bomb over the chop, rather than bouncing up and down and stop/starting all the time :(
Just from what you are saying I think the bullet seems like a better option.

I think if you think in a line between a full on raceboard and a surfboard, the fish will be closer to the surfboard, and bullet a little closer to the raceboard. In terms of chop ability I think the bullet is a little easier to ride in chop, fish is a little more surfy. I do not know which goes in lighter wind...kind of thinking the big bullet would be a little better, but I do not know. To me the bullet is closer to the surfboard lines than the free raceboard that I have tried, but not as close as the nugget or fish type boards (I have not ridden the north nugget)

I do think that almost any surfboard would...especially ones that wok in light wind...will be bumpy relatively speaking, when the wind picks up

Return to “Kitesurfing”