Forum for kitesurfers
Kamikuza
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Sabae Beach
Favorite Beaches: Ol' Stinky
Gear: This, that, the other

Re: Do I want a North Nugget?

Postby Kamikuza » Sat Dec 15, 2012 12:28 pm

ankers wrote:Spent now two sessions on the Nugget 2013.

For your reference: I use normally Naish Global and Airush Sector V2 52.

Many comparisons have been made with the Sector, and to be honest, I think these are two far from each other to be compared, one can only point out the differences not the similarities. Sector has fins (and I mean fins!) while the nugget has a rather skatey feeling, with its normal surf fins. I think it is much closer to a normal surfboard than to the freeride-race board, which the sector is.

I ride it strapless, weight 78kg.
First session: flat water; starting at 11-12 knots on 12m park (24meter lines) and ending in about 16 knots on 10m Rebel.
Second session: 13-15 knots, waist-high waves, 12m Park (20 meter lines). Side onshore.
I live in a tropical region, so the wind is really hot and consequently less powerful compared to colder climates.

Besides all the things said (very light weight, egg shape etc), the following things come to my mind:

1. Upwind: going very well upwind compared to other surf boards, but not as the Sector does. For me, the "upwindability" of the Sector is even too much at times. Too much time spending going downwind :-) So, the capacity of going upwind with the sector is not really needed for me. Conclusion: I like the nugget better in this aspect. Perfect in taking a wave, going down wind and going back upwind in one tack.

2. Turnability: I love this machine. Much better and faster turning than the sector (of course). In the gibes, it glides and you feel its flotation capacity, this is in contrast to the Global, where you need to maintain speed in order not to sink. So when you loose a little power in the kite, when gibing (which could happen in light winds), the nugget keeps you up and going.

3. Chop: no prob at all. I feel that this board will hold and be enjoyable in higher winds as well.

4. Nose-dive: indeed a little tendency to do so when on waves due to the short nose I guess. But this is something you will get used to, so after a few sessions this will not be an issue at all.

5. tacking: all attempts worked out well. Easy to tack. Ollying the same: it is great fun and easier. So in this respect, a perfect learning board as well.

6. Fins: happy they are delivered with future-compatible ones. Just be careful: when I put them in the first time one of the screws lost the grip of my hex key (the standard one delivered with it). I was very careful, so I am sure it was not my mistake. Probably a production fault. I am planning to order a quad set of fins and some future screws+ key. If anybody knows where i can get them in europe, please tell me

all in all, this is a special board. I was on the water earlier than my friends and got of it later, as wind was picking up in the beginning of the session and falling at sunset. It is a perfect choice when you are faced with waist high waves, you just stay on them, while others with normal surfboards can't. the board invites you to do new things.... very satisfied (except for this screw issue and the design of course (but that is personal)

Good winds
Ankers
That's the deciding review, right there :thumb:

tony montana
Frequent Poster
Local Beach: naples fl
Favorite Beaches: naples fl
Style: waverider
Gear: north
Brand Affiliation: north nash cabrina any kite with a safety system that works i mean works
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Postby tony montana » Sat Dec 15, 2012 8:48 pm

ankers wrote:Spent now two sessions on the Nugget 2013.

For your reference: I use normally Naish Global and Airush Sector V2 52.

Many comparisons have been made with the Sector, and to be honest, I think these are two far from each other to be compared, one can only point out the differences not the similarities. Sector has fins (and I mean fins!) while the nugget has a rather skatey feeling, with its normal surf fins. I think it is much closer to a normal surfboard than to the freeride-race board, which the sector is.

I ride it strapless, weight 78kg.
First session: flat water; starting at 11-12 knots on 12m park (24meter lines) and ending in about 16 knots on 10m Rebel.
Second session: 13-15 knots, waist-high waves, 12m Park (20 meter lines). Side onshore.
I live in a tropical region, so the wind is really hot and consequently less powerful compared to colder climates.

Besides all the things said (very light weight, egg shape etc), the following things come to my mind:

1. Upwind: going very well upwind compared to other surf boards, but not as the Sector does. For me, the "upwindability" of the Sector is even too much at times. Too much time spending going downwind :-) So, the capacity of going upwind with the sector is not really needed for me. Conclusion: I like the nugget better in this aspect. Perfect in taking a wave, going down wind and going back upwind in one tack.

2. Turnability: I love this machine. Much better and faster turning than the sector (of course). In the gibes, it glides and you feel its flotation capacity, this is in contrast to the Global, where you need to maintain speed in order not to sink. So when you loose a little power in the kite, when gibing (which could happen in light winds), the nugget keeps you up and going.

3. Chop: no prob at all. I feel that this board will hold and be enjoyable in higher winds as well.

4. Nose-dive: indeed a little tendency to do so when on waves due to the short nose I guess. But this is something you will get used to, so after a few sessions this will not be an issue at all.

5. tacking: all attempts worked out well. Easy to tack. Ollying the same: it is great fun and easier. So in this respect, a perfect learning board as well.

6. Fins: happy they are delivered with future-compatible ones. Just be careful: when I put them in the first time one of the screws lost the grip of my hex key (the standard one delivered with it). I was very careful, so I am sure it was not my mistake. Probably a production fault. I am planning to order a quad set of fins and some future screws+ key. If anybody knows where i can get them in europe, please tell me

all in all, this is a special board. I was on the water earlier than my friends and got of it later, as wind was picking up in the beginning of the session and falling at sunset. It is a perfect choice when you are faced with waist high waves, you just stay on them, while others with normal surfboards can't. the board invites you to do new things.... very satisfied (except for this screw issue and the design of course (but that is personal)

Good winds
Ankers
Great review,but fins are rubbish,fin boxes are not much better,raw plugs holding straps,this is an expensive board i expect better,that said i love the nugget,TONY

L0KI
Very Frequent Poster
Gear: .

Postby L0KI » Mon Dec 17, 2012 8:43 am

tony montana wrote: ..fins are rubbish, fin boxes are not much better, raw plugs holding straps, this is an expensive board, I expect better, that said, I love the Nugget.
Sorry to hear you say those things.
The video footage I've seen of the Nugget, it looks like a really fun lightwind board for flatwater, chop, waves..and all.
The 2013 is much heavier, which tells me the 2012 was built too light and fragile??
Would like to try one, but not at the full retail $ for a 2013.
Still curious to see what Firewire does with the Sweet Potato, in a kite specific version.

tony montana
Frequent Poster
Brand Affiliation: north nash cabrina any kite with a safety system that works i mean works

Postby tony montana » Mon Dec 17, 2012 1:36 pm

Oldnbroken wrote:
tony montana wrote: ..fins are rubbish, fin boxes are not much better, raw plugs holding straps, this is an expensive board, I expect better, that said, I love the Nugget.
Sorry to hear you say those things.
The video footage I've seen of the Nugget, it looks like a really fun lightwind board for flatwater, chop, waves..and all.
The 2013 is much heavier, which tells me the 2012 was built too light and fragile??
Would like to try one, but not at the full retail $ for a 2013.
Still curious to see what Firewire does with the Sweet Potato, in a kite specific version.
Dont be put off by what i wrote it is a special board,but i like to give an honest review,what i like most about nugget is 16knots 8 meter kite having fun,also as a dog owner and dog lover,i admire what you do for pit bulls,no bad dogs just bad owners,happy christmas TONY

screwfootsc
Medium Poster
Style: strapless

Postby screwfootsc » Mon Dec 17, 2012 10:27 pm

If you want to spend $1,000.00 + go right ahead. Or, save some cash and buy a board from a real shaper/manufacturer who knows that they are doing when it comes to surfboards.

In a few months (March/April) Firewire will release the 5'1" Baked Potato. It is the Sweet Potato (which North seemed to duplicate) but with a refined design and curves to handle more conditions in the surf surf yet maintain the characteristics of the Sweet Potato for light wind. This board will rocket you upwind and keep you planing in the light junk we all struggle in. Check out the vid.

http://www.firewiresurfboards.com/surfb ... ked_potato

In addition, some sick new shapes and rides coming soon in time for the new season.
Attachments
baked.png
baked.png (136.26 KiB) Viewed 2613 times

L0KI
Very Frequent Poster

Postby L0KI » Mon Dec 17, 2012 11:01 pm

tony montana wrote:...also as a dog owner and dog lover, I admire what you do for Pit Bulls, no bad dogs just bad owners, Happy Christmas TONY
Thank you very much.
That means a lot to me, here on the forum.
I've taken a fair amount of shite here, trying to tell the truth about these dogs and getting a lot of ignorant uninformed comments, and bad wishes upon me and the dogs, suggestions that they are wild, uncontrollable, dangerous, unstable, unworthy of love, killing machines, not to be trusted.
I try to be patient and talk sense to people with that ignorance, but it is sad and just reminds me of the uphill battle that these dogs face so often.
So many are killed purely because of ignorant young men with nothing but bad intentions and a lack of love and training.
It is a shame that some of the worst people in society seem to want to own powerful dog breeds, and are the least equipped to make a positive outcome with any dog.
Powerful dogs can be dangerous, if put in bad situations and mistreated, but that goes for any powerful dog, regardless of breed.
I've owned a dog (or two) for my whole life..and of all the dogs I've ever owned (or met), the Pitbull has proven to be the most gentle, the most well behaved, the most stable, the most forgiving of mistreatment, and the dog most able to bounce back from bad situations and living conditions.
More loyal than 95% of the people I've ever met.

Happy Christmas to you, and thanks again.

L0KI
Very Frequent Poster

Postby L0KI » Mon Dec 17, 2012 11:16 pm

Grant - video link is not working.

screwfootsc
Medium Poster
Style: strapless

Postby screwfootsc » Wed Dec 19, 2012 6:52 am

It doesn't want to copy and paste.

go to www.firewiresurfboards.com and check out the Baked Potato vid on the surf site.

Pierrot
Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2008
Weight: 80
Gear: Aluula Roam 10m, North neo 10m, 7m, 5m
Hydrofoil Ketos,
Brand Affiliation: None

Postby Pierrot » Wed Dec 19, 2012 7:21 pm

Is it me or the shape of the "baked potato" looks very similar to the Naish Bullet ?
BTW, almost no info on that Naish board on the web...

tony montana
Frequent Poster

Postby tony montana » Wed Dec 19, 2012 11:00 pm

Pierrot wrote:Is it me or the shape of the "baked potato" looks very similar to the Naish Bullet ?
BTW, almost no info on that Naish board on the web...

Its more expensive than nugget,its time to support local shaper and save some money TONY

Return to “Kitesurfing”