Contact   Imprint   Advertising   Guidelines

Do I want a North Nugget?

Forum for kitesurfers
omg
Very Frequent Poster

Re: Do I want a North Nugget?

Postby omg » Wed Dec 05, 2012 5:13 pm

please please someone weigh the Nugget (preferably the 2013 version) with fins but without the straps. This is pretty much what's holding me back for buying the board...

Pretty please... :bye:

xray
Very Frequent Poster
Favorite Beaches: Mauritius
Style: Freeride/wave
Gear: Pivot 5-8
Brand Affiliation: None
Has thanked: 0

Postby xray » Thu Dec 06, 2012 9:51 am

It's one of the lightest boards I have ever had in my hands

Billy B.
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Strawberry, Big Bad UT Lake, Rush mudpuddle.
DC
Favorite Beaches: Strawberry, Rufus,, Hampton NH. San Diego lite wind ninja shit.
Style: Learning,... as in I am still learning.
Gear: 2014 north gear

All of it
North and Race boards
North twin tip and directional yummyness.
Surfboard and strapless play stuff.
Brand Affiliation: I am a North snowkite athlete.
Been thanked: 0

Postby Billy B. » Thu Dec 06, 2012 5:04 pm

omg wrote:please please someone weigh the Nugget (preferably the 2013 version) with fins but without the straps. This is pretty much what's holding me back for buying the board...

Pretty please... :bye:
I have weighed the boards back to back and the New nugget is almost, 1 pound heavier. The boards are the same shape and ride alot alike, there are some subtle differences and I don't notice the difference in weight at all, The new board feels more sold under your feet and may have a little less flex, But of course one is brand new and the other a year old, so my old board could be broken down. I probably put 200+ sessions on it. It is still very light weight and surfy. I wanna say it was like 8 1/2 pounds dry.

Just pull the trigger, the nugget rules...

dblass
Rare Poster

Postby dblass » Thu Dec 06, 2012 7:43 pm

Can anyone tell me how deep are those concaves in the nugget? Thanks.

ankers
Medium Poster
Gear: BRM

Postby ankers » Sat Dec 08, 2012 12:14 pm

just got mine

weight (fins, no straps) exactly 3 kg
depth of concave: 5mm
back rocker 2 cm

omg
Very Frequent Poster

Postby omg » Sat Dec 08, 2012 12:52 pm

ankers,

thanks very much! Is yours 2012 or 2013 version?

Good winds!

Don Lester
Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Sherman Is.
Favorite Beaches: Sherman Is. Ca.
Los Barriles, Mx
Style: All
Gear: TT, Surf, Foil

Postby Don Lester » Sat Dec 08, 2012 6:34 pm

The biggest problem with the Nugget is that North had a significant breakthrough in design and hasn't taken advantage of it. The board is so unique that the decision makers probably didn't think it would sell well, hence the low production numbers. If they were plentfull and well demo-ed, they could easily be one of the worlds most popular boards. Everyone would have a Nugget in their quiver...........

No other light wind board rides like a Nugget, that's not to say it's the best, just very unique.

Sectors, K-free's, knee wackers are all great light wind boards too, but they're different than a Nugget.

The bottom line is............... You gota try one............. if you can find one...........

ankers
Medium Poster

Postby ankers » Sun Dec 09, 2012 6:55 am

hi omg

mine is 2013. Will test it tuesday or maybe today, will get back once tried.

ankers
Medium Poster

Postby ankers » Sat Dec 15, 2012 8:46 am

Spent now two sessions on the Nugget 2013.

For your reference: I use normally Naish Global and Airush Sector V2 52.

Many comparisons have been made with the Sector, and to be honest, I think these are two far from each other to be compared, one can only point out the differences not the similarities. Sector has fins (and I mean fins!) while the nugget has a rather skatey feeling, with its normal surf fins. I think it is much closer to a normal surfboard than to the freeride-race board, which the sector is.

I ride it strapless, weight 78kg.
First session: flat water; starting at 11-12 knots on 12m park (24meter lines) and ending in about 16 knots on 10m Rebel.
Second session: 13-15 knots, waist-high waves, 12m Park (20 meter lines). Side onshore.
I live in a tropical region, so the wind is really hot and consequently less powerful compared to colder climates.

Besides all the things said (very light weight, egg shape etc), the following things come to my mind:

1. Upwind: going very well upwind compared to other surf boards, but not as the Sector does. For me, the "upwindability" of the Sector is even too much at times. Too much time spending going downwind :-) So, the capacity of going upwind with the sector is not really needed for me. Conclusion: I like the nugget better in this aspect. Perfect in taking a wave, going down wind and going back upwind in one tack.

2. Turnability: I love this machine. Much better and faster turning than the sector (of course). In the gibes, it glides and you feel its flotation capacity, this is in contrast to the Global, where you need to maintain speed in order not to sink. So when you loose a little power in the kite, when gibing (which could happen in light winds), the nugget keeps you up and going.

3. Chop: no prob at all. I feel that this board will hold and be enjoyable in higher winds as well.

4. Nose-dive: indeed a little tendency to do so when on waves due to the short nose I guess. But this is something you will get used to, so after a few sessions this will not be an issue at all.

5. tacking: all attempts worked out well. Easy to tack. Ollying the same: it is great fun and easier. So in this respect, a perfect learning board as well.

6. Fins: happy they are delivered with future-compatible ones. Just be careful: when I put them in the first time one of the screws lost the grip of my hex key (the standard one delivered with it). I was very careful, so I am sure it was not my mistake. Probably a production fault. I am planning to order a quad set of fins and some future screws+ key. If anybody knows where i can get them in europe, please tell me

all in all, this is a special board. I was on the water earlier than my friends and got of it later, as wind was picking up in the beginning of the session and falling at sunset. It is a perfect choice when you are faced with waist high waves, you just stay on them, while others with normal surfboards can't. the board invites you to do new things.... very satisfied (except for this screw issue and the design of course (but that is personal)

Good winds
Ankers

tautologies
Very Frequent Poster

Postby tautologies » Sat Dec 15, 2012 10:26 am

Ankers: Sounds like you have a great set up there. So much fun to ride different types of gear huh?

YAY. I think anyone who likes the nugget should have a go on a mini-simmons :-) :thumb: :thumb:

Return to “Kitesurfing”