Strutless kite in development on Maui

Forum for kitesurfers
eree
Very Frequent Poster
Brand Affiliation: None

Re: Strutless kite in development on Maui

Postby eree » Sat Apr 27, 2013 9:07 pm

Harri wrote:
UKSurf wrote:Certainly looks like an interesting design :thumb: I think the biggest problem you will have in selling this kite will be that people will be concerned about the relaunching. Have you thought of doing a detailed video on relaunching it from different positions?
Watch this vid about launching the cloud.
Wind is about 6-7 knots, Tom has'nt got a Board on his feet, what does'nt make it eassier:)....

http://m.youtube.com/#/watch?feature=yo ... 3Dyoutu.be
what are you talking about, guy is clearly walking and jumping on the bottom. look it on full screen mode.

Harri
Rare Poster
Local Beach: Austria and Italy
Gear: ...
Been thanked: 0

Postby Harri » Sat Apr 27, 2013 9:56 pm

eree wrote:
Harri wrote:
UKSurf wrote:Certainly looks like an interesting design :thumb: I think the biggest problem you will have in selling this kite will be that people will be concerned about the relaunching. Have you thought of doing a detailed video on relaunching it from different positions?
Wind is about 6-7 knots, Tom has'nt got a Board on his feet, what does'nt make it eassier:)....

what are you talking about, guy is clearly walking and jumping on the bottom. look it on full screen mode.

The Kite in the Vid is MY Kite, Spot is the Traunsee in Austria (191 mtrs deep) and i was with him on this day to lend him the kite for the test. So: NO, he' s not walking or jumping on the ground. Just about 7-10 m from the beach you can't stand in this lake cause of it's depth. Water Temps actually at about 10 Celsius.

Dave_5280
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 1997
Weight: 78 kg
Favorite Beaches: Kanaha Beach Park, Maui, Hawaii, U.S.
Style: Freeride
Gear: Switchblades, Contras, CF Raptor TT. Ozone Frenzy foil kites with skis. Fixed bridle foil kites on handles with MBS landboard. Progression Sports videos.

Postby Dave_5280 » Sun Apr 28, 2013 2:28 am

How large do you think a useable kite be could be made in this design, 20 to 25 meters or more?

Vacaloca
Rare Poster
Local Beach: Buenos aires, chascomus, punta rasa
Has thanked: 0

Postby Vacaloca » Sun Apr 28, 2013 4:18 am

Fun session today at Rio de la Plata, Buenos Aires.
Wind 8kts
Board Cabrinha Caliber 2011(a standard twintip)
Weight 73kgs
Bar Cabrinha SB 10m 2012 (a bit small)
Didn't drop the kite so I can't comment on relaunch.

I'm alone in a river usually full of kites, on a weekend.
Attachments
IMG-20130427-WA0003.jpg
IMG-20130427-WA0000.jpg

ronnie
Very Frequent Poster

Postby ronnie » Mon Apr 29, 2013 10:14 am

Harri wrote:

Wind is about 6-7 knots, Tom has'nt got a Board on his feet, what does'nt make it eassier:)
At least what you may not do: swimming backyards fills the canopy with water and kills the relaunch...likely with foilkites (at the end of the film). Any other way is no problem to relaunch the cloud.
When the cloud is laying on the LE, it's no Problem to relaunch by pulling one leader
Line or backwards. BUT: what will happen, if the cloud is laying on the TE?? Just pull one leader
Line about 4 meters in, till the kite turns on the LE and do the relaunch as you prefer. Check the vid...and note, that it is hard to get the cloud on the water;)))
Thanks for posting that Harri.
Deep water relaunch without editing is what people often ask for but rarely get.

I got the feeling that if the kite was inflated a bit more, it would have been a bit easier to get it to do the end-over flip to where it would then fill with wind,
and would also be a bit less prone to over-rotate past the normal re-launch position as it came up onto its side for relaunch.
Do you think the kite was inflated enough?

mede
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2001
Weight: 72 kg dry
Local Beach: Lake Geneva
Favorite Beaches: Sri Lanka West Coast, Marsa Alam, Cape Verde, Tarifa, Beauduc, Corpus Christi, Ceara
Style: Foil, Strapless surf, Big Air
Gear: Kite:> Tomo Vader 5.1 HE & KS MariMacho board,
Gong YpraS Foils,
Pansh Kestrel, Kauper Falcon, Blade Trigger kites.
Wing:> Amos Shapes Sultan Custom board,
Gong YpraS + Ypra Surf Foils,
Gong UPE Aramid Droid & Neutra Wings
Brand Affiliation: none

Postby mede » Mon Apr 29, 2013 2:38 pm

Watching the vid I thought the same: Rather sure the kite was underinflated.
Greg: Any comments how this affects the behavior?

ripper tom
Medium Poster
Has thanked: 0

Postby ripper tom » Mon Apr 29, 2013 5:18 pm

mede wrote:Watching the vid I thought the same: Rather sure the kite was underinflated.
i puming realy hard ! 8-9psi cold water and only 5-6knots

ronnie
Very Frequent Poster

Postby ronnie » Mon Apr 29, 2013 7:48 pm

ripper tom wrote:
mede wrote:Watching the vid I thought the same: Rather sure the kite was underinflated.
i puming realy hard ! 8-9psi cold water and only 5-6knots
In very cold air and lake water, the air would have been warmed up after you have pumped it into the kite and can cool and 'shrink' reducing the pressure, so that might have affected it?
It did seem to be at lower pressure at the end of the video compared to the start.

At least the kite does relaunch in very light wind and seemed to be manouverable enough to sort out the positioning.

turfAndsurf
Medium Poster
Local Beach: San Diego

Postby turfAndsurf » Sun May 05, 2013 7:18 pm

For those that have rode the 13M Cloud, what would you say is a sustainable high end not what you can take it up to but how many knots would it be where you can stay riding comfortably and not get pulled like a mad truck or being pulled out of a wave? Please also give your weight, thanks.

tautologies
Very Frequent Poster

Postby tautologies » Sun May 05, 2013 8:38 pm

turfAndsurf wrote:For those that have rode the 13M Cloud, what would you say is a sustainable high end not what you can take it up to but how many knots would it be where you can stay riding comfortably and not get pulled like a mad truck or being pulled out of a wave? Please also give your weight, thanks.
I'm interested in that too though Im mostly interested in the low end performance... :)

Return to “Kitesurfing”