Contact   Imprint   Advertising   Guidelines

Epic Kites 3rd Generation. 3G II

Forum for kitesurfers
Dimitri M
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: I travel all over the world.
Favorite Beaches: So many to list....
Style: MY OWN STYLE :-)
Gear: SCREAMER 7/9/12/14 for Free Style. Not to forget the SCREAMER 10 LTD for my one go kite.
SURF 8 & 12 for the waves. RENEGADE 6.5 and 9 for all around kiting. And some times I use my son's JUNIOR PRO 4 when it blows 45+ for the waves.
Just try the EPICKITES and you will see for yourself.
Brand Affiliation: Owner of EPIC KITES
Has thanked: 0

Re: Epic Kites 3rd Generation. 3G II

Postby Dimitri M » Sat Mar 16, 2013 2:52 am

Poster: Oldnbroken
Renegade 13M is gone.
Sorry Oldnbroken I sold the R13 (3G) this morning. Should have more demos in April.
But in the mean while check this new video of the INFINITY V3 prototype kite flying in.... actually you'll be the judge of the wind speed.

YOUTUBE:

VIMEO:

p-air
Rare Poster
Local Beach: Crissy Field, Ocean Beach, Stinson Beach
Favorite Beaches: Kite Beach, Maui
Style: Surf style
Gear: Epic Screamer LTD 10m, Epic Renegades 6 & 9m
6'2" surfboard
Brand Affiliation: None
Been thanked: 0

Postby p-air » Sat Mar 16, 2013 5:47 am

Haven't posted here in a long while, but had to comment on the Renegade 3G 11m. So I was early to jump on the Dimitri EPIC bandwagon and loaded up on Renegades when he first came out w/them 3 seasons ago (SF Bay area seasons are basically March through Oct). After enjoying many seasons of 100+ days, after my wife gave birth to our twin boys 20 months ago, I've been relegated to 6 days over the past 2 seasons. My wife noticed some changes in my mood and suggested I find an attitude adjustment. Little did she know what that was going to mean ;) Managed to sell my 2010 Renegade 11m which was still in good shape, as I wanted to experience the new 3G models. Consistent with my memory the EPIC team was really good about getting me on the right kite and after discussing the style of riding I was going to be doing (mostly coast and Crissy Field (under the Golden Gate Br.)), we agreed that I should stick w/the Renegade 3G 11m because apparently the turning action on it had been much improved. Got the kite just in time to get in the water last weekend and all I can say is O-M-G! The thing turns like my 9m 2010 Renegade. It was a Crissy Field day w/some small swell, winds at about 14-16 mph, and no hint of weakness or slow turns, now I can't wait to get this kite out on the coast. Total performance animal. The bonus however was the "pretty" bar :) Definitely functional, but pretty too :) I have to believe Mrs. EPIC had a hand in that one, but it does feel great. It's nice to see that three seasons in, Dimitri and the EPIC team have managed to keep the high touch and attention to the customer, as well as attention to detail in their kites. Oh yeah, and my wife says my performance in the bedroom has improved too :)...perhaps something to do with my attitude ;)

Geronimo79
Very Frequent Poster
Style: Freeride
Gear: Epic Kites and Arise and Hyperflex
Brand Affiliation: Epic Kites and Arise

Postby Geronimo79 » Sat Mar 16, 2013 6:52 am

hahaha nice post.

Gratz about the bambinos.

p-air
Rare Poster
Local Beach: Crissy Field, Ocean Beach, Stinson Beach
Favorite Beaches: Kite Beach, Maui
Style: Surf style
Gear: Epic Screamer LTD 10m, Epic Renegades 6 & 9m
6'2" surfboard

Postby p-air » Sat Mar 16, 2013 8:41 pm

Thanks. Can't wait 'til I can get the boyzzz out on the Junior Pro :)

latino

Postby latino » Sun Mar 17, 2013 5:24 am

EastCC
Medium Poster
Gear: Ocean Rodeo Roam
Brand Affiliation: Ocean Rodeo - Australia

Postby EastCC » Sun Mar 17, 2013 2:05 pm

latino wrote:new video from another angle

https://www.facebook.com/video/video.ph ... 7135&saved

:nono: :oops: :roll:

Nice video, but it's a lot easier to keep a kite in the air dropping into the water and swapping the board than actually trying to transition.
My 2 cents worth.

Dimitri M
Very Frequent Poster
Gear: SCREAMER 7/9/12/14 for Free Style. Not to forget the SCREAMER 10 LTD for my one go kite.
SURF 8 & 12 for the waves. RENEGADE 6.5 and 9 for all around kiting. And some times I use my son's JUNIOR PRO 4 when it blows 45+ for the waves.

Postby Dimitri M » Sun Mar 17, 2013 4:16 pm

Yes you are right Mr. latino. I knew you had a video and was able to catch me falling in the water. Well no body is perfect. Any way I took the risk to post this video just to show you the performance of the INFINITY V3 that day. But you have to understand that once I was far away from the shore, the next thing was to turn around so I can get back to the beach. So I was trying to turn on the 12 foot SUP board that you let me borrow and for the life of me could not turn that big board at all. So suddenly the SUP board start moving side ways towards the kite with no pressure on the lines so I fell in the water and the wing tip of the kite slowly went and touched the water. So I got back on the SUP and was trying to relaunch it. This is what you see on the video you just post. But as you can see I was way up wind and was able to prove once again the stability and performance of the INFINITY V3.
Kiting on an SUP is very different especially when you are trying to turn while both of your hands are on the kite with a camera in your mouth and you have nothing to steer the SUP board so it can turn. Actually I was using my right foot to turn the SUP board while pushing it into the water as a paddle so the SUP board can turn. Big boards like that are very hard to move or turn. It's like a Ferry Boat and every thing is so slow.
On the other hand my friend Damien is well know for his talent in racing and everything else he does, and having a big Race board that is wider then the SUP I was using + very big fins and an 18 meter kite helps a lot since you are creating apparent wind and using resistance on these big fins. Using an SUP board is totally different. You cannot go fast and your single fin is so small that you will start to go side ways if you try to turn (especially on an SUP board that you are not used to). This is what happened in that video. The SUP board that I borrowed from you start going side ways while I was trying to turn and I fell in the water. I wish I had a wide RACE board that day with very long 50 cm (x3) fins.
A race board is more manageable especially when it's wider then the SUP board I was using and turns faster and of course planes faster and is way more stable because of its wide surface. If I had a Race board I would easily be able to turn the board and come back.
It was a pilot mistake and yes I do fall in the water. Very hard to turn that 12 foot SUP board especially when their is minimum wind out there.

UKSurf
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: South Coast of UK
Gear: Liquid Force impulse Foil, Slingshot SST Wave

Postby UKSurf » Sun Mar 17, 2013 5:22 pm

latino wrote:new video from another angle

https://www.facebook.com/video/video.ph ... 7135&saved

:nono: :oops: :roll:
:roll:

Dimitri M
Very Frequent Poster

Postby Dimitri M » Sun Mar 17, 2013 5:36 pm

UKSurf,
I think you need to get in the water more often and try to do what we all do best which is have fun kiteboarding and enjoy this sport.
Since you are following this topic very carefully, you will see on the FACEBOOK page the response from a particular person. People that know about kitboarding will understand.
This post bellow was from the USA "CABRINHA" distributor.
Wow Dimitri. That's a long explanation. In truth the CB 18 is on a different planet from most other light wind kites, but I know what you are talking about with the SUPs in light wind. The are very hard to get going straight and hard to turn also. Can't hold falling against you, but when you live by the internet marketing sword, you due by it too. Best advice to you... Never fall on Camera! Hope all is good with you. C u soon.
Yes I fell in the water, but again I never said I was superman.

UKSurf
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: South Coast of UK
Gear: Liquid Force impulse Foil, Slingshot SST Wave

Postby UKSurf » Sun Mar 17, 2013 6:51 pm

Dimitri M wrote:UKSurf,
I think you need to get in the water more often and try to do what we all do best which is have fun kiteboarding and enjoy this sport.

Yes I fell in the water, but again I never said I was superman.
If you are having problems and could not relaunch in what was obviously 5-6 knots (in which the kite would have 2-4 times the lift than 2-4 knots), what are we meant to make of your 2-4 knots claim? I mean seriously, you are not doing your brand any good with these over the top claims. I am sure the infinity is good in the right conditions (which I would say is freestyle in the top end of a force 3 and lower end force 4). Going head to head with these larger high aspect ratio kites in real light winds like the Core 19m and the 18m Switchblade is just making you look silly.

Return to “Kitesurfing”