Favorite Beaches: Madaket harbor, south shore, jetties
Style: Freestyle
Gear: Core, xennon
Brand Affiliation: None
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Re: Recommendation on cold weather kiteboarding gloves

Postby MACTNKA » Tue Oct 28, 2014 12:57 am

I still swear by the pearl izumi bike claws. Having had poor blood circulation my entire life, I've always had to improvize as it comes to cold weather. Being an outdoorsman and recently a kiter in new england I've had to come up with bolder ideas all the time. So having used them the entire last winter I have to repeat myself, yes they really work! They are water and windproof and as they have a soft shell I have no fatigue, and I don't feel the cold. If you wanted to go to the extreme you could wear 100% merino gloves underneath as they wick moisture if you sweat or get wet and are thin and warm enough to be great for setting up. Then just slip on the claws and enjoy the ride:)
http://www.google.com/imgres?imgurl=htt ... CIQMygFMAU

Jake-Skymonster
Medium Poster
Local Beach: Longniddry, Scotland
Gear: Cabrinha FX / Moto / Contra
Core GTS / XR / Nexus
Ozone Edge
Peter Lynn Swell
Brand Affiliation: www.skymonster.com

Postby Jake-Skymonster » Tue Oct 28, 2014 10:41 am

I've tried loads of gloves while windsurfing and kitesurfing and pretty much all of them suck in one way or another. Right now it's the second season on ION Claws and they at least don't cause the cramps but they aren't the warmest either. You have to compromise on something I think.

FreddyKite
Rare Poster

Postby FreddyKite » Tue Oct 28, 2014 5:37 pm

I decided to buy the MEC Hot Mitts. Was not dissapointed in the least. Very warm (5mm), pre-curved and the price was right. Hand fatigue did occur, but realistically it had a minor impact on my session (cut my time down by ~15%). I don't think I would come across a better solution (functional and financial) for cold weather kite surfing. :thumb:

shawn13
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Cherry Beach, Toronto
Sherkston, Lake Erie
Wasaga, Lake Huron
Favorite Beaches: In Order:
Mauritius, Soma Bay, Egypt/ Cape Town, SA/ Cayo Guillermo, Cuba/ Sherkston, Canada/ El Gouna, Egypt/ Paje, Zanzibar/ Oliphant, Canada/ Kalpitya/ Dakhla, Morocco/ Boracay, Philippines/ Sri Lanka/ Wasaga Beach, Canada
Style: Freeride/Race
Gear: Cabrinha

Postby shawn13 » Thu Nov 06, 2014 8:49 pm

im going to try the split finger, open palm glove from NP

http://www.npsurf.com/products/protective/gloves.html

JoeLemm
Rare Poster
Local Beach: Wasaga Beach
Sandbanks
Oliphant
Kingston
Style: Newb Freerider
Gear: Kites:
12M Cabrinha Vector
9M Wainman Smoke
8M Naish Helix
Boards:
Slingshot Darko
Airush Cypher 5'6"

Postby JoeLemm » Thu Nov 06, 2014 9:07 pm

shawn13 wrote:im going to try the split finger, open palm glove from NP

http://www.npsurf.com/products/protective/gloves.html
I have been using the split finger open palm gloves for the past few weeks. Last time out was about 4 degrees, and the wind wasnt quite high enough so i was in and out of the water quite a bit and noticed my hands getting cold. I just got the 1.5mm gloves (at the bottom of the link you posted) to go under the mitts, and we will see if that helps.

Joe

Lubo
Rare Poster

Postby Lubo » Fri Nov 07, 2014 1:37 am

Last winter I used NP 3 Finger Mitt 5mm and I like them. I kited in the North East through the whole winter, water and air temp in the 30s on the coldest sessions and I felt pretty good with these on. Sometimes I'd use wool liners. The gloves are pre curved a lot and that minimises the effort of squeezing the bar. Kite with less bar pressure makes difference too in my opinion. I'm sure there's other good options out there, I'm just sharing my own experience

AGK
Medium Poster

Postby AGK » Fri Nov 07, 2014 2:27 am

I have had the best luck (and I've tried lots of things) with mostly-waterproof 2 mm neoprene gloves (Rip Curls are great) under 2 mm Neil Pryde open palm mittens. The combinations is pretty warm, and doesn't seem to cause any forearm fatigue. If you need to do anything that requires dexterity, you can stick the gloves through the hole in the mitten palms and re-attach a safety, fiddle with a knot, etc. YMMV

Flyboy
Very Frequent Poster

Postby Flyboy » Fri Nov 07, 2014 5:22 pm

In my windsurfing days ( windsurfing is worse for arm fatigue because of the greater diameter of the boom & the need to grip it more tightly) I used 5mm diving gloves with the palms cut out down to the middle knuckle. I found neoprene enclosing each finger more effective than a mitt which would allow water to slosh around between the fingers. The reality is, the palm area doesn't get cold - it's the ends of the fingers, particularly the outside of the fingers that are exposed to the wind chill. Having the palm cut away also means you can slip your fingers out if you need to do domething wit the lines.

JoeLemm
Rare Poster
Local Beach: Wasaga Beach
Sandbanks
Oliphant
Kingston
Style: Newb Freerider
Gear: Kites:
12M Cabrinha Vector
9M Wainman Smoke
8M Naish Helix
Boards:
Slingshot Darko
Airush Cypher 5'6"

Postby JoeLemm » Fri Nov 07, 2014 5:31 pm

Flyboy wrote:In my windsurfing days ( windsurfing is worse for arm fatigue because of the greater diameter of the boom & the need to grip it more tightly) I used 5mm diving gloves with the palms cut out down to the middle knuckle. I found neoprene enclosing each finger more effective than a mitt which would allow water to slosh around between the fingers. The reality is, the palm area doesn't get cold - it's the ends of the fingers, particularly the outside of the fingers that are exposed to the wind chill. Having the palm cut away also means you can slip your fingers out if you need to do domething wit the lines.
I like this idea... I'll have to give it a shot now that its getting colder.

I'm planning on kiteboarding all weekend, and I just looked out the window to see it snowing... great.

edt
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2010
Local Beach: Michigan
Gear: ride hard, no regrets

Postby edt » Fri Nov 07, 2014 5:50 pm

Flyboy wrote:In my windsurfing days ( windsurfing is worse for arm fatigue because of the greater diameter of the boom & the need to grip it more tightly) I used 5mm diving gloves with the palms cut out down to the middle knuckle. I found neoprene enclosing each finger more effective than a mitt which would allow water to slosh around between the fingers. The reality is, the palm area doesn't get cold - it's the ends of the fingers, particularly the outside of the fingers that are exposed to the wind chill. Having the palm cut away also means you can slip your fingers out if you need to do domething wit the lines.
simple but genius. Of course why not use gloves instead of mittens for the open palm. Makes so much sense. Mittens are warmer when they are closed but why shouldn't gloves be warmer when they are open palmed.

Def want to try it out this year. That is if we get any cold weather. So far it's only been down to the upper 30's.

Return to “Kitesurfing”