Contact   Imprint   Advertising   Guidelines

Shortening Lines?

Forum for kitesurfers
John Doe
Medium Poster
Gear: The cheap kind.

Shortening Lines?

Postby John Doe » Mon Nov 26, 2012 4:47 am

Anyone have a good way to safely shorten a set of lines? I know I shouldn't just cut them & tie them off. They should be sheathed & sown etc.

Anyone have a good kit for doing it? I have several sets of 23m, want to make a 18m set out of one of them.

GregK
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2000
Local Beach: Comox, BC
CANADA
Style: Average
Gear: Lift V2 Surf & HA wingsets
Ocean Rodeo kites & wings
Brand Affiliation: started Comox Kite Repair

Re: Shortening Lines?

Postby GregK » Mon Nov 26, 2012 5:08 am

Use one of these - http://fixmykite.com/proddetail.asp?prod=pkssleevekit to put new sleeving on at the desired length, then temporarily secure them by tying a figure-8 knot at the sleeving. Next time you take a kite in for a sewn repair, ask your repair-person to stitch up the lines too.

henjj
Rare Poster
Style: fun
Gear: 2009 LF Havoc (16m)
2015 slingshot Fuel (11m)
2006 slingshot octane (10m)
2013 slingshot Z (9m)
2012 slingshot Fuel (6m)
Slingshot b3
Brand Affiliation: None
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Postby henjj » Tue Nov 27, 2012 5:46 pm

i just made a short line set out of some old lines. this post was helpful: http://www.nwkite.com/forums/t-11649-0.html . Forgot to add....check out the second page of the post. The original poster was using 800# line. The lines I used weren't as thick, so I used some para-cord sheath on my spliced loop to give the loop some extra "padding" (see pictures).

Laughingman
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Kettle Point, Mitchell's Bay, Rondeau Bay
Favorite Beaches: Kettle Point, Mitchell's Bay, Rondeau Bay, Long Bay, Cayo Guillermo, La Ventana
Gear: Ocean Rodeo Gen6 Flites 10m, 12m Gen2 Roams 6m and 8m, Cloud D 4.8, 6.2, 8.0, 10.4
Xeon Laluz, Mako Wide 150, Jellyfish Custom surf board quad fin 6', LF Impulse Foil and Kanaha Shapes 37" board
Engine Harness with slider

Postby Laughingman » Wed Nov 28, 2012 3:29 pm

I've used this tool to repair a broken line, it could be used as well to shorten lines to what ever length you like and there is no sleeving required.

http://fixmykite.com/proddetail.asp?prod=microhook

Look on the site for the how to video, it literally took me less then 10mins the first time I tried it.

bay surfer
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: The Dam Beach
Favorite Beaches: Lake Michigan Beaches, OBX
Gear: Airush, Switch, Pansh, Kites, LF boards, Home Brewed Foils and boards
Brand Affiliation: None
Has thanked: 0

Postby bay surfer » Thu Nov 29, 2012 4:59 pm

Well three ways.
1. Buy Q-line tie figure 8 Knots. That way the next time you need to replace a end you have the Q-line to do it :thumb:
2. Feed line into itself using a tooth threading tool, or fish line, then sew theaded area with Dental floss, takes 5 for each loop.
3. Thead line through sleevin using said threading tools, and then sew lone together, takes 10 to 15 mins per loop, really does not last much longer than #2, looks so so. unless you use a machine.

Return to “Kitesurfing”