Forum for kitesurfers
rightguard
Very Frequent Poster
Brand Affiliation: None
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Why directional

Postby rightguard » Wed Nov 28, 2012 3:06 pm

Ok silly two part question... Why do you ride a directional instead of a TT? I know they are suppose to be better in waves but why? I have so much fun in waves on my Mako and wonder how a directional would be better.

Second part... Is there a really small directional out there that is like a TT, that would still be good in big waves? The nugget seems interesting but do people really ride that in big waves?

ChristoffM
Medium Poster
Local Beach: Langebaan and Cape Town.
Favorite Beaches: Anywhere in the Cape, South Africa.
Style: Hydrofoils! (And surf and old school)
Gear: Cape Town Foilboard and Spotz hydrofoils.
Any kite that can keep up with the hydrofoils.
Brand Affiliation: Cape Town Foilboards

Re: Why directional

Postby ChristoffM » Wed Nov 28, 2012 3:56 pm

Hey. Not silly question really. Let me try to answer it:

Of course a directional is nicer in waves. But that is not the only reason one would want to ride one. I sometimes ride a directional on a dam, in flat water, just for a change of feel. I think it is the same reason why people would ride a wake skate, or a skim board. Having a different type of board under your feet gives a new sensation, that is not necessarily better but adds variety and new sensations that are fun in themselves.

It's almost like trying to answer to a couch potato that hate any activity why it is fun to kite. I mean, we wait for the right conditions, buy expensive gear and go out simply to go up and down on the water and do some up and down jumps. Yet, it is so addictive, fun, rewarding and worth pursuing. The same with trying different boards.

I recently discovered riding a hydrofoil, and people ask: "what so cool about just cruising up and down on a foil", yet for me it is the best way of kiting. Sure I do big air every now and then on the twintip, and I use my surfboard for waves when the conditions are right. The unique sensations of the different boards makes the sport of kiteboarding so awesome.

knotwindy
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: baja, gorge
Style: erratic to none
Gear: yes, I use gear

Postby knotwindy » Wed Nov 28, 2012 4:01 pm

rode a mako for a while, now 97% directional, just use the mako to learn a new trick i might be having trouble with,

a directional tracks better, bottom turns better, top turns better and goes upwind better to catch more waves, other than that nothing :lol:

just try one and you'll know why, the feel

Brent4336
Very Frequent Poster

Postby Brent4336 » Wed Nov 28, 2012 4:04 pm

Its a very different feel riding a tt and surfboard in waves of any size. In anything considered small waves (what most of us ride day to day) a tt just wont have the size or float to keep you going and turning at the slower speeds.

Waves are great on a TT, but its more riding around in waves, than trying to use a kite to help you get around and ride as many bits as possible.

A nugget is a huge board and not meant for bigger waves.

windsuks
Very Frequent Poster
Style: surf/old school
Gear: Airush/North/Ozone/RRD

Postby windsuks » Wed Nov 28, 2012 4:11 pm

Yup as above, for me a big reason is simply the "feel" of a directional...the soft fat rails, the big rear fins etc
You can really put a whole lot more ooomph into your turns without the board breaking out as it does with a tt.
I can see the merits of the Mako but at the end of the day it will always be a compromise same as mutants etc, surfers use directional surfboards for a reason, me too.

plummet
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: EE
Favorite Beaches: NZ
Style: Terrain riding
Gear: Old wornout ozone.
Plummet hydrofoil and mutant

Postby plummet » Wed Nov 28, 2012 7:04 pm

I tried the sb for a while. sure felt nice on the wave face fast turning and had more volume for the times you loose power.
But I hated it for everything else apart from actually on the wave face.

I really like to rip the shallows which can't be done on a sb without risking the fins. I'm not a big fan of down the line riding were the sb excells.

my perfect session is boosting off the wave lips riding the back upwindon the wave face blasting the shallows.... hmmmm fun.

So I have ended up on a mutant. suits my style perfectly.

That said as christoff has stated its about different sensations and I may go back to the Sb at a later date. I'm really interested in the hydrofoil to.....

Peter_Frank
Very Frequent Poster

Postby Peter_Frank » Wed Nov 28, 2012 7:49 pm

Interesting question, yes 8)

Besides above answers about waves etc - which most agree about it seems, there is another thing:

Riding a directional in flat water or chop or waves - does not matter where, it just FEELS so much better in every way IMO :thumb:

And a mutant is a board that is equally bad at freestyle and waveriding - a thing in between a TT and a Waveboard one could say ?

And a Twintip is also a mutant somehow, as aa TT is a board where you go on compromise with performance, by having both ends equal - which is NEVER the best for anything - except for doing both "sides" equally bad :(

So in order to do freestyle and land backwards (and for beginners to learn to go the other way without turning), we use the least efficient board shape of all boards - the TT :wink:

A mutant (a classic one) is more performant than a TT.
A raceboard is more performant than a mutant.
A waveboard is a raceboard which has been "throttled down" a lot, for maximum flow and agility with softer lines and fins.

So for me it is the feel of riding a directional (no matter what type) that just feels and seems so more right in every way :rollgrin:

No compromises at all with a directional, and no downsides :naughty: , no awkward stance because you have to go on compromise in both directions like on a TT :-?

So if it was'nt for typical freestyle fun and landing both sides - I would not own a TT at all, as if you have a waveboard and a raceboard and a classic mutant you would be able to do everything better than any kind of TT board: You can turn faster, start earlier, jump higher, ride faster !

:D Peter

tautologies
Very Frequent Poster

Postby tautologies » Wed Nov 28, 2012 7:52 pm

rightguard wrote:Ok silly two part question... Why do you ride a directional instead of a TT? I know they are suppose to be better in waves but why? I have so much fun in waves on my Mako and wonder how a directional would be better.

Second part... Is there a really small directional out there that is like a TT, that would still be good in big waves? The nugget seems interesting but do people really ride that in big waves?
I don't ride a directional instead of TT I ride both and love it. For waves though I think TT are useless, mostly because I cannot turn them. Note I am not saying they are not fun, I am saying that control is much lower so I don't really feel the wave. I cant turn as tight, even if throwing spray is possible.

Now the mako as I understand it is different from a regular TT.

Nope a big wide board is not good for big waves..you want something skinny..it can be fairly long, but you want skinny and relatively straight rails. How big are we talking? Normally very short boards will not be ideal for big waves, but the 5'5'' global last year can certainly hold its own in good sized surf..I'm guessing the 5'5'' this year is the same. Naish also had a gun last year that can really stand up in big huge waves (and it is such a good looking board). Personally I think maybe the 5'8'' is a great all round and big wave board....that is the one I have my eyes on....but I am keeping my gun. :-)

JBD
Medium Poster

Postby JBD » Wed Nov 28, 2012 8:51 pm

I agree with tautologies it's not about one or the other it's about what I'm in the mood for. I'll ride my directional when I'm in the mood to ride waves and my twin tip when I want to play with the waves.

ChristoffM
Medium Poster
Local Beach: Langebaan and Cape Town.
Favorite Beaches: Anywhere in the Cape, South Africa.
Style: Hydrofoils! (And surf and old school)
Gear: Cape Town Foilboard and Spotz hydrofoils.
Any kite that can keep up with the hydrofoils.
Brand Affiliation: Cape Town Foilboards

Postby ChristoffM » Wed Nov 28, 2012 9:41 pm

Interesting how different boards suit different people. For some a mutant is the best, and for others it is the worst, etc. If at all possible, go out and try everything.

Any tried skim boards in the surf? Maybe fun for very small waves?

Return to “Kitesurfing”