Contact   Imprint   Advertising   Guidelines

How to Stop Go Pro Line mount shaking

Forum for kitesurfers
prayfawind27
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Blu hill, Coral harbour(in front of the little key) Go Slow, Club Med
Favorite Beaches: kite beach Cabarete , Crondon Park Miami
Style: Free style
Brand Affiliation: None
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Re: How to Stop Go Pro Line mount shaking

Postby prayfawind27 » Thu Dec 06, 2012 2:40 pm

Kamikuza wrote:
tautologies wrote:sorry I don;t mean to be facetious, but there is no real good way. Best would be to de-shake it in post processing. I have still not gotten any really good shots done. My go pro has been used about three times...so that might be the reason, in addition to me not being that great. I pulled out a few lame low res pics from it.

In any case, tho the only way I could see having it shake less would be to add weight, but that obviously have other problems. :-) .
No worries :D it's all fun'n'games!

Deshake for vDub works ok but is REALLY slow, so best to chop up what you want before you deshake it. As I said, vReveal is good but works by zooming in so you lose some of the shot.

To beat on the horse some more, I've used the GoPro line mount a bunch and it's watchable raw... but I'm just riding around, jumping and rotations and stuff, not doing hot tricks. The new mount should be much better!

thanks for the heads up that new line mount looks sweet I like how you will not have to edit the angle on, isn't out yet right? but I will get one for sure, I've used Aobe Warp stabilizer and I downloaded and used that Vreveal plus allowed youtube to do there thing and this is the end result didn't even bother turning the vid around

murph68
Medium Poster
Local Beach: Dollmount, Sutton, Brittas Bay
Gear: Wainman Hawaii, Nobile

Postby murph68 » Thu Dec 06, 2012 3:58 pm

He said "the wifes forehead" as in his wife not yours, and chill our BRO!

prayfawind27
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Blu hill, Coral harbour(in front of the little key) Go Slow, Club Med

Postby prayfawind27 » Thu Dec 06, 2012 4:51 pm

murph68 wrote:He said "the wifes forehead" as in his wife not yours, and chill our BRO!
even so, there is still no logic for the comment, this forum is here to help, get help and share, if you can't do any, why just jump on someone's post and offer nothing but silly unhelpful comments. Having to sift through bull shit post to find something that is helpful is killing the experience, I remember when I first started here that crap didn't exist.

Chickenwing504
Rare Poster
Local Beach: Mississppi gulf coast
Gear: 13m switch element

Postby Chickenwing504 » Thu Dec 06, 2012 5:08 pm

My line mount looks very similar to yours off of memory. I use a switch bar/lines, and my video isn't too shakey, but as I turn the kite, it flips the camera. So unless your watching the video on a tablet, you've got to turn your head, or watch it upside down.

sicknick
Rare Poster

Postby sicknick » Thu Dec 06, 2012 5:22 pm

The new design by Stringy makes a big difference. Also, if you want the clip to turn out well it's best to have your kite low and tensioned....any kind of slack and of course it will be shaky. I use Sony Vegas Studio, which does a pretty good job stabilizing (by zooming in).

Here's some videos I've made with the (new design) line mount:

murph68
Medium Poster
Local Beach: Dollmount, Sutton, Brittas Bay
Gear: Wainman Hawaii, Nobile

Postby murph68 » Thu Dec 06, 2012 6:17 pm

I remember when people had a sense of humour!!!

stringy
Medium Poster
Local Beach: seattle, wa
Style: freeriding

Postby stringy » Thu Dec 06, 2012 6:44 pm

the first generation line mount was really intended for capturing imagery via the early model GoPros, then the cameras started evolving and HD video was now the demand. I set out to make line mount 2.0 to achieve capturing video easily with stability and orientation the best for filming.
by balancing the weight of the camera housing, this helps prevent the camera from unwanted wobble.
yes if your lines go completely slack, you will still experience instability, but I can't fix everything with the mount. yet.
line mount 2.0 is available for pre-order as of yesterday on www.camrig.com. I promise you will be happy with how this mount works. comes with a set of mount plugs so check them out.
this video is made using the new hero3 on a north kite. I was testing it with the "narrow" setting on the camera. no stablization was used in the video. line mount footage is in second half of the video
(disclaimer)the new designed line mount does not work with the hero3. I had to modify the mount in order for it to work. I am working on a new design which should be available once Gopro releases a totally different hero4 . :oops:

prayfawind27
Very Frequent Poster

Postby prayfawind27 » Thu Dec 06, 2012 9:23 pm

I will get the new model when it drops indeed, thanks everyone for your input. :thumb:

Kamikuza
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Sabae Beach
Favorite Beaches: Ol' Stinky
Gear: This, that, the other

Postby Kamikuza » Fri Dec 07, 2012 1:22 am

Keep up the good work Stringy!!! :thumb:
murph68 wrote:I remember when people had a sense of humour!!!
Here, have a laff at this :) IIRC, I converted and split the original files in Avidemux, 'stabilized' with Deshaker in Vdub, then manually aligned the footage in Vegas so the horizon was (mostly) up. Depending on how fussy you want to be, it can take a long time playing with keyframes and rotation to work it all out. Much easier when you can see the horizon too :roll:

Start watching at about 2:30...

stringy
Medium Poster
Local Beach: seattle, wa
Style: freeriding

Postby stringy » Fri Dec 07, 2012 2:37 am

I had the opportunity to get out and kite this afternoon here on lake washington.
was a little cold hence the drysuit and head covering.
filmed my session using the hero 3 with a modified line mount 2.0.
keep in mind that the hero and hero2 cameras will work very well with the newly introduced line mount 2.0, however I needed to make major modifications so that it can be used with the hero3 due to the square lens.
this edit was from today and I spent minimal timing throwing it together. I mainly wanted to show those unfamiliar with the new line mount. it does film much better than the original line mount. yes you will still need to flip the video during editing. I used the mount plugs that allow me to position the mount up the lines preventing the mount from sliding down the lines. camera was approximately 4-6 feet up from the line split. gives it a nice perspective.

Return to “Kitesurfing”