Favorite Beaches: Hatteras Island, Montauk NY
Style: Twin tips, Naish Mutant
Gear: Ozone, Liquid force, Nobile, Naish
Brand Affiliation: None
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Re: GoPro 3 - fogging?

Postby AndrewJMcGee » Mon Dec 10, 2012 8:25 pm

Didnt read thru everyones posts. I put 5 strips in my GPH2 case. I bake them every time i open it. I live in NY, water and air temps are very different, especially in the summer. If mine fogs I hold it under water for a little while and sometimes it will clear it up.

I found out that holding it under water works cause it fogged one time. I put it back in my pocket to catch some more waves, and swim some more. Once I was going toward shore again I took it out and it was all clear. So Ive been trying it. I also added those 4 more strips and that has helped like crazy.

Just make sure those are dry cause if they are holding moisture then your dead in the water before you start.

I found even opening my case to upload causes humidity to catch on to those strips rendering them useless.

Bottomline if you know epic winds are coming......cook your strips, charge your camera fully (double check), and close it up until you are home and ready to upload. Then repeat. only thing more terrible then having a fogged up camera on a 30 footer of your buddy, is going 5 for 6 on a parley ahahhahahahaha

Flight Time
Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Venice Beach
Skyway Bridge North
Style: Freeride
Gear: 12 Epic Screamer
14 Epic Screamer
12 Liquid Force Havoc
16 Cabrinha Switchblade

Postby Flight Time » Tue Dec 11, 2012 2:20 am

Kamikuza wrote: Went looking at the hardware store today for Anti-Fog Rain-X... they don't sell it here, it seems :o there were anti-fog wipes for the interior windows... might have to try them :-/

They DO sell stuff for mirrors that is hydrophobic - water just jumps right off. I might try that too...
The anti fog wipes should work, but there has to be somewhere you can buy the Rain-X stuff online that is local for Japan, or look for it in a big chain auto parts store. I know it can sometimes be sketchy trying to find the same brands of many things in other countries. Don't use the hydrophobic stuff. That is like regular Rain-X, and while it is great on the outside of the plastic housing, it will actually create fog on the interior glass lens by beading the moisture.

Kamikuza
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Sabae Beach
Favorite Beaches: Ol' Stinky
Gear: This, that, the other

Postby Kamikuza » Tue Dec 11, 2012 1:49 pm

Flight Time wrote:
Kamikuza wrote: Went looking at the hardware store today for Anti-Fog Rain-X... they don't sell it here, it seems :o there were anti-fog wipes for the interior windows... might have to try them :-/

They DO sell stuff for mirrors that is hydrophobic - water just jumps right off. I might try that too...
The anti fog wipes should work, but there has to be somewhere you can buy the Rain-X stuff online that is local for Japan, or look for it in a big chain auto parts store. I know it can sometimes be sketchy trying to find the same brands of many things in other countries. Don't use the hydrophobic stuff. That is like regular Rain-X, and while it is great on the outside of the plastic housing, it will actually create fog on the interior glass lens by beading the moisture.
Dunno if my Japanese is good enough to search online - wading through product descriptions would get dull very quickly :D Hardware stores sell not very much and car chain stores here are for bling-bling and the utter basics...

On the other hand - I believe I can find stuff to defog the inside of motorbike visors pretty easily... same stuff, you reckon?

Hydrophobic & Rain-X on the outside lens... never had much success with them, but I'll try them again.

I've got a Contour ROAM2 now, going to use that for the line mount and the GoPro for helmet, board or cam-on-shore mount :D f**kin fog...

uncle sammy
Medium Poster

Postby uncle sammy » Tue Dec 11, 2012 1:58 pm

Kamikuza wrote:
Flight Time wrote:

Dunno if my Japanese is good enough to search online - wading through product descriptions would get dull very quickly :D Hardware stores sell not very much and car chain stores here are for bling-bling and the utter basics...

On the other hand - I believe I can find stuff to defog the inside of motorbike visors pretty easily... same stuff, you reckon?

Hydrophobic & Rain-X on the outside lens... never had much success with them, but I'll try them again.

I've got a Contour ROAM2 now, going to use that for the line mount and the GoPro for helmet, board or cam-on-shore mount :D f**kin fog...
Appreciate it if you comment about fog in the contour case.

Kamikuza
Very Frequent Poster

Postby Kamikuza » Tue Dec 11, 2012 2:31 pm

uncle sammy wrote:Appreciate it if you comment about fog in the contour case.
The ROAM is water-proof to half a meter - I'm not planing on using a case at all ;) I'm guessing that any time there's air in a case, it'll fog... Contour sells anti-fog strips too :(

uncle sammy
Medium Poster

Postby uncle sammy » Tue Dec 11, 2012 2:56 pm

Right ! ... forgot... my bad.

Flight Time
Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Venice Beach
Skyway Bridge North
Style: Freeride
Gear: 12 Epic Screamer
14 Epic Screamer
12 Liquid Force Havoc
16 Cabrinha Switchblade

Postby Flight Time » Tue Dec 11, 2012 9:43 pm

Kamikuza wrote: Dunno if my Japanese is good enough to search online - wading through product descriptions would get dull very quickly :D Hardware stores sell not very much and car chain stores here are for bling-bling and the utter basics...

You don't need to search descriptions, just search for "anti-fog" and look for the picture. As long as you can ftell how much you're paying for it... :lol:
The ROAM is water-proof to half a meter - I'm not planing on using a case at all I'm guessing that any time there's air in a case, it'll fog... Contour sells anti-fog strips too
I'm sure you realize that the force that whatever seals the ROAM has built into it are going to be subject to much higher pressure being slammed into the surface of the water than they will at a relaxed 1 meter submersion... Might want to rethink the case.

ptraykovski
Very Frequent Poster

Postby ptraykovski » Tue Dec 11, 2012 10:15 pm

I've used roam on line mounts and taken many beatings with the kite and camera tumbled around in the surf . So far it has all been relatively short as have been able to relaunch, and haven't torn a kite with the camera mounted ..yet.

but no ingress issues so far with no case. string mounts work much better with no case. I tried the contour + with a case and it bounces around alot more due to increased weight. lighter is better.

I do run a bit of o-ring lube on the door seals from time to time

and no fogging issues on the roam!

Kamikuza
Very Frequent Poster

Postby Kamikuza » Wed Dec 12, 2012 3:14 am

Flight Time wrote:You don't need to search descriptions, just search for "anti-fog" and look for the picture. As long as you can ftell how much you're paying for it... :lol:
:naughty: smarty-pants! :lol:

yahoo.co.jp search for "antifog" found - http://item.rakuten.co.jp/uemuramegane/antifog-cleaner/ but signing up for the store account, buying it and then figuring out the directions all in Japanese... sigh, I should study more. O! why can't I just get Rain-X Anti-Fog like the rest of the world!

Mmm, they're targeting sales at glasses wearers - I might drop in to a spectacles shop...

stringy
Medium Poster
Local Beach: seattle, wa
Style: freeriding

Postby stringy » Wed Dec 12, 2012 3:28 am

if your concern is fogging with a POV camera and you would like to completely avoid it, my advice is to get a contour roam.
yes they sell a water housing that fits specifically for the roam, however I have not used it for kiteboarding.
I've done R&D and real world testing for Contour and have never experienced a failure when using without a housing.
it is one of the lightest options for your kite lines and makes for easy operation with pretty good resolution.

Return to “Kitesurfing”