14 Epic Screamer
12 Liquid Force Havoc
16 Cabrinha Switchblade
Brand Affiliation: None
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Re: GoPro 3 - fogging?

Postby Flight Time » Wed Dec 12, 2012 4:17 am

I agree, spending $200 for a ROAM is a much better idea than spending $10 for Rain-X for the camera you already have. It's a no-brainer, actually. I give you my blessing! :lol:

Kamikuza
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Sabae Beach
Favorite Beaches: Ol' Stinky
Gear: This, that, the other

Postby Kamikuza » Wed Dec 12, 2012 4:49 am

Flight Time wrote:I agree, spending $200 for a ROAM is a much better idea than spending $10 for Rain-X for the camera you already have. It's a no-brainer, actually. I give you my blessing! :lol:
More stable line mount was the primary reason for a switch to Contour - and why spend $400 on better IQ when fogging is STILL an issue? That's a "no brainer" ;)

Flight Time
Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Venice Beach
Skyway Bridge North
Style: Freeride
Gear: 12 Epic Screamer
14 Epic Screamer
12 Liquid Force Havoc
16 Cabrinha Switchblade

Postby Flight Time » Wed Dec 12, 2012 5:18 am

Absolutely. 10 out of 10 economists agree! :D

But one thing you will notice is the frequency of the vibration is faster with a lighter camera, so whether its a little heavier camera swinging back and forth, or a lighter camera that is jerking around a lot faster, the effect is about the same. Truth be told, until the weight of the camera is truly insignificant compared to the weight of the line itself, or they incorporate stabilization into the cameras, we will have to live with jerky video. Maybe what we need is counterweights placed at different places on the lines to interrupt the whole frequency... :idea:

Kamikuza
Very Frequent Poster

Postby Kamikuza » Wed Dec 12, 2012 5:39 am

Flight Time wrote:Absolutely. 10 out of 10 economists agree! :D

But one thing you will notice is the frequency of the vibration is faster with a lighter camera, so whether its a little heavier camera swinging back and forth, or a lighter camera that is jerking around a lot faster, the effect is about the same. Truth be told, until the weight of the camera is truly insignificant compared to the weight of the line itself, or they incorporate stabilization into the cameras, we will have to live with jerky video. Maybe what we need is counterweights placed at different places on the lines to interrupt the whole frequency... :idea:
That's true, but the GoPro on the older line mount oscillates below the lines as well, rocking side to side. The videos stringy posts of the Contour are noticeable smoother, even without the correction I apply.

When manually rotating the frames the rocking motion means a heap more keyframes added and fiddled with :-/

... still need to solve the fogging if I'm going to use helmet or board cam though :lol:

stringy
Medium Poster
Local Beach: seattle, wa
Style: freeriding

Postby stringy » Wed Dec 12, 2012 6:36 am

Flight Time wrote:I agree, spending $200 for a ROAM is a much better idea than spending $10 for Rain-X for the camera you already have. It's a no-brainer, actually. I give you my blessing! :lol:
I sense a bit of sarcasm. :roll:
I should have said if you are in the market for a new POV camera and you want something that won't be an issue when it comes to fogging, you should consider a contour roam.
I'm sure the antifog works great. maybe post a video of your footage with the antifog that demonstrates how well the product works while kiteboarding?
Flight Time wrote:
Truth be told, until the weight of the camera is truly insignificant compared to the weight of the line itself, or they incorporate stabilization into the cameras, we will have to live with jerky video.
actually sony has recently released a great POV action sports camera with image stabilization built right into it and it works great, the problem is it fogs up very quick. :lol:
I'll have to give the rainX a try with the sony!

Flight Time
Frequent Poster
Skyway Bridge North
14 Epic Screamer
12 Liquid Force Havoc
16 Cabrinha Switchblade

Postby Flight Time » Thu Dec 13, 2012 12:53 am

stringy wrote:
I sense a bit of sarcasm. :roll:
I should have said if you are in the market for a new POV camera and you want something that won't be an issue when it comes to fogging, you should consider a contour roam.
I'm sure the antifog works great. maybe post a video of your footage with the antifog that demonstrates how well the product works while kiteboarding?
Why I never! I'm the least sarcastic guy I know! :lol: I suppose the ROAM would be a decent substitute for the GoPro, and likely superior for line use as it is lighter. My point is that for those of us who have the GoPro, there isn't $200 difference, unless you are rolling in it. Especially if the only reason you were considering replacing it is the fogging issue. :D

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iDge2KcQWXw is a video I made a while back that isn't edited or anything, so you'll have to forgive the boredom factor, and the fact that I can't seem to stop making sure the camera is still pointed in the right direction. I have gigs and gigs of video that I'd like to cut into manageable footage, but I'm not sure which editing software is powerful, relatively inexpensive, and won't require months of intense study to operate. Anyway, you can see it never fogs up on me, and I had it open on the beach minutes before launching the kite to replace the card. In all the footage I have, the only annoying failing is me always fiddling with the camera. I don't have a second of film with fog in it.
stringy wrote: actually sony has recently released a great POV action sports camera with image stabilization built right into it and it works great, the problem is it fogs up very quick. :lol:
I'll have to give the rainX a try with the sony!
Oooh, image stabilization. Intriguing. I'll let some other people buy it and post some video with it mounted on the lines, and see if that puts a dent in the jerkiness of the video. Kinda like in light wind, where you let some other sucker launch his kite and be the guinnea pig that you measure the worth of launching your own kite against. :lol:

Kamikuza
Very Frequent Poster

Postby Kamikuza » Thu Dec 13, 2012 3:10 am

Flight Time wrote:Why I never! I'm the least sarcastic guy I know! :lol: I suppose the ROAM would be a decent substitute for the GoPro, and likely superior for line use as it is lighter. My point is that for those of us who have the GoPro, there isn't $200 difference, unless you are rolling in it. Especially if the only reason you were considering replacing it is the fogging issue. :D

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iDge2KcQWXw is a video I made a while back that isn't edited or anything, so you'll have to forgive the boredom factor, and the fact that I can't seem to stop making sure the camera is still pointed in the right direction. I have gigs and gigs of video that I'd like to cut into manageable footage, but I'm not sure which editing software is powerful, relatively inexpensive, and won't require months of intense study to operate. Anyway, you can see it never fogs up on me, and I had it open on the beach minutes before launching the kite to replace the card. In all the footage I have, the only annoying failing is me always fiddling with the camera. I don't have a second of film with fog in it.

Oooh, image stabilization. Intriguing. I'll let some other people buy it and post some video with it mounted on the lines, and see if that puts a dent in the jerkiness of the video. Kinda like in light wind, where you let some other sucker launch his kite and be the guinnea pig that you measure the worth of launching your own kite against. :lol:
Here's an analogy for you - I got a car with wheels that go flat after 20 minutes, no matter how I try to fix them. Wouldn't you just buy new frickin' tyres and do burnouts with the old ones? If your perception is that it's frivolous spending, then that's fine - mine is that it's not... I like to be able to see my sessions :lol: and anyway, it's Christmas!!! :D

You're lucky then, and in the minority - most people have fogging problems. Rain-X might be the deciding factor :o I'm going out searching today...

Kind of an aside... I got a Shoei motorbike helmet that uses a Pinlock insert to create an air gap. Perfect fog proofing but heavy and prone to slight failure if you change swap them around for different tint.
Recently got a helmet from Icon, that doesn't use the Pinlock system and is promoted as "fog proof". I was like "Yeah no way, not without a Pinlock" but... however they did it, it WORKS! Was out on the bike last week, breathing clouds of visible fog inside the helmet but the visor was clean. GoPro needs to get in contact with Icon and figure out how they did it!

Did you stabilize the video with YouTube?

RickI
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: SE Florida
Gear: Cabrinha
Brand Affiliation: Cabrinha

Postby RickI » Thu Dec 13, 2012 3:43 am

I would have thought that this would have already been posted but scanning quickly I didn't see it. If this has already been put up, my apologies. Just got my GoPro3 and haven't really used it yet. With regard to the GoPro HD and HD2 I have used a small piece of folded paper towel to avoid fogging for sometime. I place the paper towel section within the recess of the housing door. It is best to seal the camera in air conditioning, if you are running AC that is. This has worked for me to avoid fogging kiting, underwater and in the mountains in snow for a long time. You don't need to change the towel sections that often either in my experience. I tried the desiccant tabs but in the Bahamas and Keys in near 100 % humidity. I found they near saturated very, (too), rapidly. I went back to paper towels with good results. Be sure to keep the towel out of the seals to avoid leaks of course.

I keep seeing new competing cameras coming on market. The trouble is the image quality doesn't seem to be on par with the GoPro from what I have seen and in other cases, read. Folks will keep trying to out compete GoPro, my advice in the interim until something really stellar comes out is do your homework before purchasing. As far as line mounts, about my least favorite subject to shoot while kiting is myself. So for me, it isn't a problem at all. I use a bunch of other mounts and camera positions instead.

Flight Time
Frequent Poster
Skyway Bridge North
14 Epic Screamer
12 Liquid Force Havoc
16 Cabrinha Switchblade

Postby Flight Time » Thu Dec 13, 2012 5:46 am

Kamikuza wrote:[Here's an analogy for you - I got a car with wheels that go flat after 20 minutes, no matter how I try to fix them. Wouldn't you just buy new frickin' tyres and do burnouts with the old ones?

Bad analogy. Tires are considered wear items, like brake pads. :lol: I see your point, though.
Kamikuza wrote:Did you stabilize the video with YouTube?
I don't know, does it do that?

alexrider
Very Frequent Poster
Gear: foils and foils

Postby alexrider » Thu Dec 13, 2012 2:01 pm

Moist air will always condense when cooled. I get rid of moisture by putting the GoPro (number irrelevant) open in the fridge for 10-15 minutes. Close the casing as you take it out. Et voila! No fogging, promise. Fridges are easier to find than strips.
:thumb:

Return to “Kitesurfing”