Forum for kitesurfers
geopeck
Frequent Poster
Brand Affiliation: None
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Re: 8 years kiting and I was so wrong about boards

Postby geopeck » Sun Dec 23, 2012 8:54 pm

As applies the latest board you are talking about. Lets go back five years and see what the mako design was like.
5 year ago was roughly the time they were staging back on on the original mako and making what was initially the "Mako Wide" into the standard board we are getting today.

It was really great right off the get-go. They went from foam core to wood core a few years ago, it feels like they lost a little bit of the buoyancy in exchange for durability. The shape, however, seems to be the exact same and that's where a lot of the magic is.

Here's a funny anecdote on the magic shape. I was cruising my "wide" strapless on some flat water and wanted to get a handle on just how good the anti perl properties are. I started working my feet up the board (I was toeside, don't know if it matters) bit by bit, waiting to stuff the nose. The final position of stability that I got into was back foot on the forward bolt holes, front toes over the nose. Granted, my weight was all on the back foot, but still ...

When I looked back at the tail it was still locked down into the water. That's one of the pleasures of the mako, looking back at your trench in a turn and it looks like it was made with a compass.

eree
Very Frequent Poster

Postby eree » Sun Dec 23, 2012 10:03 pm

funny though, my 2012 NHP and couple of years old T5 still surprise me every time i ride them with the nice spray of water sharp in my „forward“ eye. not in my chest, not in one of the palms of my hands, not in my stomach but just the eye.

ok, i suppose lot of you have a theories about how could it be possible. but i’m pretty sure that if somebody would ordered the board that could do exactly the same we’d be waiting for long long long years to finally see the wanted results...

hudstur
Medium Poster
Local Beach: Delray Beach, Florida
Boca Raton, FL
Boynton Beach, FL
Lighthouse Point, FL
Favorite Beaches: Delray Beach, FL
Hood River, OR
Floras Lake, OR
Cape Hatteras, NC
Napeague, NY
Bahamas
Kauai, Hawaii
Canada, PEI & Georgian Bay
Traverse City, MI
La Ventana, Mexico
Cabarete, DR
Florida Keys
Style: Directional Waves, Freeride, Foilboard
Gear: OCEAN RODEO Duke 5’4”, OR Flites, FOne kites, SS Mixer 5’10”, Litewavedesigns Kick S.

Postby hudstur » Sun Dec 23, 2012 10:42 pm

What is the brand of the MAKO Woody? Where can I get one here?

flaps1111
Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2001
Weight: 85
Local Beach: Safor Beaches and Costa Blanca, Valencia /Alicante
Style: Strapless hydrofoil
Gear: Groove Skate S w679, w633. Airush Ultra v2 ,4m,5m, 6m, 9m, 12m,14m. Flyfurfer Peak5 4m, BRM 13.4

Postby flaps1111 » Sun Dec 23, 2012 11:43 pm

hudstur wrote:What is the brand of the MAKO Woody? Where can I get one here?
http://www.bellacerakiteboards.com/Surf_Twins_LB1X.html

Westozzy
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Mandurah
Style: Freeride, wave
Gear: Rebel, Vegas 2012

Postby Westozzy » Mon Dec 24, 2012 12:22 am

plummet wrote:Hey westoz.

What would you change on the mako king if you could?

would you give it some flex to make it better in high winds/chop?

maybe I should add some mako into my next mutant build.

its not a bit slidy going backwards with only one fin?

Maybe plummet I'm not to sure. The over zealous author of this post does make some good points within his one eyed doctrine. Yesterday there some ground swell running and he is right that if you flatten out the board you can ride over the chop. But speed is reduced. The more I ride the King the more I am considering getting a smaller version as well. At the moment I only have the king as sold the other boards and I am yet to find the upper wind limit of this board. Maybe today I feel if I'm on the 11m edge. With the lack of flex gives remarkable ability to pop and transfer the speed into height. Thing is plummet this board already has a fair degree of rocker and with the concave bottom probably is why you can ride it backwards so well. Increase the flex, as you said it in another post it will increase that rocker. You get a very direct feel. I actually took my feet out of the straps and pads I have added to the board and rode strapless in between them on some waves. So sweet.

Not sure, don't know if you should mess with such a good design. Not sure the flex would work with the large concave hull, reduce bite and direct feel.

But yes put some mako in your next design for sure, but I thought you already had. I have dropped the finnage down to, 56 middles, 53 sides. Rides better IMO. Mate I was riding down the line park and ride style yesterday as well, just tracks so well. I would definetly round the rails, they work great in the ocean. Slide out at the back, no not at all. Coming in with the swell lines at speed, you just get up on the rails, the front side fin bites in a bit and the rail engages. No slippage. Easy to convert to TT mode then in flat water, just rip of the side fins.

Westozzy
Very Frequent Poster

Postby Westozzy » Mon Dec 24, 2012 12:35 am

geopeck wrote:
As applies the latest board you are talking about. Lets go back five years and see what the mako design was like.
5 year ago was roughly the time they were staging back on on the original mako and making what was initially the "Mako Wide" into the standard board we are getting today.

It was really great right off the get-go. They went from foam core to wood core a few years ago, it feels like they lost a little bit of the buoyancy in exchange for durability. The shape, however, seems to be the exact same and that's where a lot of the magic is.

Here's a funny anecdote on the magic shape. I was cruising my "wide" strapless on some flat water and wanted to get a handle on just how good the anti perl properties are. I started working my feet up the board (I was toeside, don't know if it matters) bit by bit, waiting to stuff the nose. The final position of stability that I got into was back foot on the forward bolt holes, front toes over the nose. Granted, my weight was all on the back foot, but still ...

When I looked back at the tail it was still locked down into the water. That's one of the pleasures of the mako, looking back at your trench in a turn and it looks like it was made with a compass.

This is another good point. This boards really does lock in and this is especially useful going down a wave at speeds, when you initiate the bottom turn it keeps traction thought the turn, even with my reduced finnage. You stay really connected to the wave. This creates a real fluid motion with each bottom and top turn. There is no doubt this board is really starting to amaze the shit out of me. As I said before the king will also park and ride down a line and this locked in feel is very surfboard like, well to be more accurate reminds me of my quad SB. Easy to release fins mind you, but they release in a very smooth ordered fashion, not a sudden release. Still working through this board and what it can do. I have also been able to throw all my soft hooked in freestyle moves as well, the old looped roll transitions, etc. even managed a board of yesterday, although was interesting without a grab handle I'm used to, didn't look the most graceful but I made it! Just! More practise. I can only imagine what a 140 or 150 would do!! Double back rolls on the way out, one triple...but getting to old for such shannanigans. But just trying to relay how small this board feels underfoot.

rightguard
Very Frequent Poster

Postby rightguard » Mon Dec 24, 2012 1:07 am

I have the mako 140 and the king... I never use the king. I honestly don't see what advantages it has over the 140. I love the 140 in waves and trying all the tricks I know how to do. The king just feels supper heavy on my feet when I jump.

Westozzy
Very Frequent Poster

Postby Westozzy » Mon Dec 24, 2012 1:35 am

Fair enough didn't find that at all. Plus it's really a light windish option for surfing really.

Now what weight are you right guard and what kites do you fly.

How much can this 140 hold down. I'm taking my edges right into the red and I'm only 74kg.

coleman
Very Frequent Poster

Postby coleman » Mon Dec 24, 2012 3:09 am

It should tell you something when a mako thread brings so many shinn comments. So here's my two cents:

I bought my first mako in 2006. It was my one and only board for over 4 year and then I bought the mako 150 wide to go along with the original 150x34 board. I thought I would never be without a mako but as of today I don't own one anymore.

Today I ride a shinn monk for high wind and a gintronic for lighter days. The gintronic is nice but the monk is absurd. It took everything I like about the mako and expanded upon it.

It used to be that when I was getting too much board speed through chop on the mako I couldn't hold it down. With the monk it just seems to flex perfectly to allow you to keep the board tracking even though you are at the edge of how much speed/power you can hold.

Carving is even better on monk. It slashes much better and flexes through high speed toeside carves. Never skips out. The mako used to skip out when I would push it to my max.

So it is interesting that alot of mako riders are now on the monk. I may one day buy another mako. Maybe the mako king would be a good addition. But to comment on what papasmerf said about shinn boards being crap and marketing/pimping bs.... He is grossly misinformed and clearly hasn't ridden a shinn monk. No pity for the ingnorant.

rightguard
Very Frequent Poster

Postby rightguard » Mon Dec 24, 2012 3:37 am

I've only been kiting a couple years and have mostly used the 140 mako. I can't compare anything else since I've ridden very little else. I use it as my light wind 10m and my high wind 6m. When it gets lighter than that its hard to do anything over here. I don't ride supper fast either so can't say much about that but I had no problems holding it down in our gusty 40knts last week.

I was just saying that I didn't really see much difference between the 140 and mako. I love playing around in the waves on the 140 but the king felt too heavy to me to really jump and have fun.

Oh I'm around 175 lbs

Return to “Kitesurfing”