Contact   Imprint   Advertising   Guidelines

Slingshot Lunacy 2008 129CM Still a good board today?

Forum for kitesurfers
nzwindy
Rare Poster
Brand Affiliation: None
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Slingshot Lunacy 2008 129CM Still a good board today?

Postby nzwindy » Thu Jan 17, 2013 10:42 am

How does this board compare to modern boards? I mostly ride hooked in, bosting in strong winds.
I can get one of these brand new quite cheaply and my current board is broken in half after a botched kiteloop back roll attempt so time for something new i think.

Cheers

eran m
Frequent Poster

Re: Slingshot Lunacy 2008 129CM Still a good board today?

Postby eran m » Thu Jan 17, 2013 11:17 am

hey
just sold few weeks ago my lunacy 2009 129x39 after ~3 years,
imo there is no too much progress at the area of board design at the last years...
the lunacy is "hardcore",aggressive board , suitable for flat water , very stiff - good pop , good in strong winds , strong & durable , spray a little bit water , tough with the knees...

JGTR
Very Frequent Poster

Postby JGTR » Thu Jan 17, 2013 1:48 pm

Lunacy is marketed as a hardcore board but in reality isn't any more hardcore than other performance orientated boards. The stance isn't as ducked as normal board but easily sorted by repositioning the foot straps. The tips are nice and wide which makes landing tricks easier and smoother. The board does not have loads of flex but performance boards don't because if they do the ride is too soft. I rode the Lunacy in France for a week in choppy conditions and loved it, compared to my similar sized FLX top end not as good, requires a bit more commitment for rotations, turns etc all in all a sweet board which still cuts it with modern boards :thumb: A future classic, wish I kept mine now :roll:

DJwilson
Medium Poster
Local Beach: South coast UK
Favorite Beaches: Nappeague, USA
Paros, GREECE
Wissand, FRANCE
Alvor, PORTUGAL
Style: Freeride, waves
Gear: Ozone, Wainman, various boards

Postby DJwilson » Thu Jan 17, 2013 3:49 pm

Bit of a classic this one. As mentioned already it is a stiff aggressive board - I have the 2009 version and I have not ridden anything stiffer (easy!) In the years since. I would say the main difference will really be one of weight as that seems to have been the major board advance in the last 3 or 4 years. That aside I would still say it is comparable in terms of performance with anything produced more recently. As with any piece of kit it s a matter of personal choice, and though it is ultimately a flat water tool, once you re used to the feel and direct response of the board, I find it as chop friendly as most other boards - I mean apart from the Mako which is very much designed for chop and swell, every board is basically a compromise between performance and comfort - and you take your pick accordingly. That said, is this a good board? Yes it is. Would I buy one now? No I would nt. Go out and get yourself something a little lighter and a little newer. Good luck.

paulie
Frequent Poster

Postby paulie » Thu Jan 17, 2013 10:52 pm

I had a 2009 132 Lunacy, it was super stiff, hard on the knees, not great in chop but could hold bucket loads of power and really lock the rail in but required you to be really aggressive to access the pop. I also found it very heavy and it felt pretty unwheildy. I changed it for 2009 North Mallory Pro after a few months, I got on much better with the North board but was still stiff and not really chop freindly. Then I went to 138 Hadlow Freestyle board and this is different league to both the other two. So easy to pop massively off the flexy tips and it soaks up the landings amazingly. It's also pretty loose and super easy to pop it around into toe/blind. It also soaks up the chop well too. I wouldnt swap this board for anything, shame the build is a bit shat though...

nzwindy
Rare Poster

Postby nzwindy » Fri Jan 18, 2013 9:29 am

Thats a good call about the weight

My new options are nobile NHP or underground crypt. Its a tough decision but still a good problem to have :D

HAMLINDP
Frequent Poster

Postby HAMLINDP » Fri Jan 18, 2013 10:09 pm

No it's a very crappy board.

You should send it to me to get it off the market ;)

JGTR
Very Frequent Poster

Postby JGTR » Sat Jan 19, 2013 1:30 pm

If you think the Len10 is a hardcore board or are worried about it then you are still a bit kooky and should stuck with a more user friendly beginner-early intermediate board. The board is great, grass mowers need not apply :thumb:

As for the weight I didn't notice any extra weight, light weight boards are great but they snap easier, Len10 is designed for abuse, what's an extra few grams in 25+ knots :lol:

paulie
Frequent Poster

Postby paulie » Sun Jan 20, 2013 9:10 pm

The lunacy is just a stiff and heavy plank with a Len10 logo on it. But I guess you can pretend your as hardcore as Len10 by riding it.

The Hadlow out performs it in every way, yet has some flex and feels light. The Lunacy is simply obsolete.

JGTR
Very Frequent Poster

Postby JGTR » Sun Jan 20, 2013 9:54 pm

In much the same way the Hadlow is popular because it has Hadlow stamped on it :roll:

You like flexi soft boards, so can see why you didn't like the Len10, but for those that prefer the direct feeling and solid feel underfoot the Len10 is a blast to ride :thumb:

I still ride 07 kites so 2009 isn't obsolete in my book, the latest stuff is all a bit too user friendly

Return to “Kitesurfing”