Kiting since: 2000
Weight: 95 kg
Local Beach: Cumbuco, Brazil
Barra do Cauipe, Brazil
Favorite Beaches: same
Style: Airstyle
Gear: Rebel 2015 18
Brand Affiliation: None.

Re: Kite videos got too boring to watch!!!

Postby Toby » Wed Jan 23, 2013 9:19 pm

Most popular? For whom?
Because some riders pushed in a certain way and ignored the rest, but all followed?

Imagine there would be a real freestyle tour or airstyle tour.
Then more riders would do all that and I am sure more people would want to see that.

Look at the surf stuff...I am sure nowadays surf kite videos get more attention.

And look at Rubens videos...

But...good to have it all! Just stop telling us that wakestyle is the way to go and the most wanted.
It is not, it is only a part of the sport. And with more surf and airstyle, the part is getting smaller.

eree
Very Frequent Poster
Brand Affiliation: None

Postby eree » Wed Jan 23, 2013 9:51 pm

ok, you guys noticed it just recently? it was actual years ago, but lately it is getting more and more ugly, thanks to those talentless narcissistic kiters using more disturbing soundtracks and lame edit.
how about this one almost two years ago:

www.kiteforum.com/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=2369209

please, don't get me wrong, i like SOME kiteboarding videos. but not the ones that promote kite brand and not the ones that promote the kiter, pro or not.

all the tricks on those videos are replicated, rehearsed and edited, you never see the original tricks on videos. i don't really care about the styles, but the boots especially make me just wanna puke. really, why don't you wear american football upper torso protective gear along with the heavy helmet with the jaw guard? now that is gonna look really heavy... it is clear that using boots is just trying to look cool. just like those young punks wearing tactical uniforms! in sense of performance it does absolutely nothing.

and thanks to kf i've learned that this most annoying noise in those recent videos is called dubstep. just another totally unnecessary piece of information i didn't really need, but now it takes a piece of my "hard disc" space instead of something really necessary.
i don't know if the authors of the recent kiteboarding videos use those soundtracks for making videos more dramatic or meaningful? but i don't feel that i care...

now, to be less destructive and more constructive: i would like to see videos about:
-how kite and kiter cooperate
-real life kitespots with crappy chop and ugly beaches, not the "butter-flat and the steady winds"
-not the latest "coolest" equipments, because the smartest of us know that newest gear alone doesn't make you champion
-then again, don't make nature scenes routine. use it creatively

peterheirman
Medium Poster
Local Beach: 2002
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Postby peterheirman » Wed Jan 23, 2013 10:03 pm

Especially these kite video's on the Brazil Cumbuco lagoon at the same spot (always the same spot near that piece of beach - I guess we've seen every grain of sand there). Seems Brazil is just one lagoon (and only just that part of the lagoon is great).
As far as I know Brazil is a bit bigger - but I could be wrong of course.

Soleas
Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 1999
Style: BIG AIR
Gear: Epic Screamer, Flysurfer Soul
Brand Affiliation: Epickites Cyprus Rep/Rider, Kiteflex team rider

Postby Soleas » Wed Jan 23, 2013 10:04 pm

I had this thought lately that kite videos are getting a bit boring and there's a title on KF today about this, looks like i'm not the only one. I've been watching kitesurfing evolving since the beginning and lately I don't get excited watching wakestyle anymore. I joined this sport because there's a wing involved and I think wakestylers forget that and if they think wakestyle on a kite is hard then they should try wakeboarding. Kitesurfers are supposed to fly. Ruben has got the deal pushing the sport to its limits and the limits in kiteboarding is not how many handlepasses they pull but how high and big they get!!! I think Ruben is giving a clear picture what I mean. He can pull a million kiteloops but when he goes higher and longer is what gives the WOW factor. I totally agree with Toby, what gives a show is not low passes but big air. I dare someone to make a poll at an event, put some guys to hit all the wakestyle tricks available and then give a big air show with simple 15m high jumps ( no tricks ) and then ask the crowd which is more impressive. Or even better, just let Ruben go out and do the same trick over and over again. I think we all know what the answer is.

TheJoe
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Texas city levee, Galveston, El Jardine and Crystal beach.
Style: Freeride, Foil, Surf, a lil freestyle
Gear: North Reach 7,9,12
Brunotti TT
Moses 633/483
Dwarfcraft Micro

Postby TheJoe » Wed Jan 23, 2013 11:36 pm

Toby wrote:Most popular? For whom?
Because some riders pushed in a certain way and ignored the rest, but all followed?

Imagine there would be a real freestyle tour or airstyle tour.
Then more riders would do all that and I am sure more people would want to see that.

Look at the surf stuff...I am sure nowadays surf kite videos get more attention.

And look at Rubens videos...

But...good to have it all! Just stop telling us that wakestyle is the way to go and the most wanted.
It is not, it is only a part of the sport. And with more surf and airstyle, the part is getting smaller.
There is a freestyle tour it is just not what you want it to be. There used to be an "airstyle tour" It was when they just started out and they did all your tricks. Remember thats why we call it old school. The tour progressed to more technical tricks and it will continue to progress. At the end of it all it might not be close to what we have now. It just might be people throwing KGB 5's in the middle of a megaloop I don't know.

Stop crying about how the tour is or that we need a specific tour for your style. If you think that get sponsors spend the time and make one. Show the world you are right and everyone else is wrong.

SupaEZ
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Space coast Florida 5th street
Favorite Beaches: One block from condo
Style: surfboard strap waves transitions
Gear: Boards quads & tri
Kites19-17-12-10-8-6-5 sqm

Postby SupaEZ » Thu Jan 24, 2013 12:20 am

alexeyga wrote:Is it just me or somebody else has noted too that lately kite videos were getting a lot better in quality and just plain boring to watch
Living in Montreal (if you call that living) can be supa boring in the wintertime or anytime

Just watch this fun video that has nothing to do with kites and just relax a bit :thumb:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JUkomDq73Bk

Kite2Heaven
Frequent Poster
Local Beach: The whole coastline of Perth WA
Favorite Beaches: Woodies
Safety Bay 'Pond'
Pelican Point
Lancelin
Augusta
Geraldton
Margaret River
Style: freestyle Wake Surf
Gear: Kites - Naish, Bws Surf, Epic
boards - F-One - Axxis - NBL - Shinn

Postby Kite2Heaven » Thu Jan 24, 2013 12:41 am

I just recently watched a short video clip on a kite i was interested in - it showed the kite on the ground for 10 seconds and the rest was stupid wakestyle tricks, the kites wing tip did manage to appear once and im like WTF...

Toby
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2000
Weight: 95 kg
Local Beach: Cumbuco, Brazil
Barra do Cauipe, Brazil
Favorite Beaches: same
Style: Airstyle
Gear: Rebel 2015 18
Brand Affiliation: None.

Postby Toby » Thu Jan 24, 2013 4:26 am

TheJoe:

Little you know. Listen deeper inside and you will know more how things happend.

Anyway, King of the air is happening...that will make look freestyle tours the way they are now obsolete. Time to move on to what this is sport is mainly about.

I will do my part, don't worry.
But I am not like few others saying, this is the best.
I am just here to give one more option which truly is missing, although you think different.
But there are others too...I get enough feedback daily...

jens
Medium Poster
Local Beach: madison wi

Postby jens » Thu Jan 24, 2013 5:08 am

I am going to state what 90% of these posts are really saying.

" I am old, limp, jealous, and not willing to put the work in to understand/participate in what is really pushing the limits of kiteboarding. I just don't understand why what I am comfortable doing isn't the cool thing being hyped by all the brands. I mean really, isn't my weak, slow, low risk, low speed, joyriding, dangling, baton twirling, weekend warrior style of kiteboarding the thing? Its these punk kids and their boots, just ruining our beloved day sailing sport. I don't want to have to be reminded of just how average or below average my kite skills are on a daily basis.

These punk kids and there boots can blow the doors off of any style of kiting they choose. They are the ones pushing the limits of kiting and the ones the companies are willing to promote.

Some one tell me why if what people really want is old school then why aren't other board/extreme sports regressing? Snowboarding, freestyle skiing, Surfing ect. are becoming faster , bigger and more technical. I am sure if you go to a skiing forum people are not saying," Hey, whats up with all these twin tip skiis? There going backwards, rotating inverted and landing backwards, how boring" What happened to the days of neon snowsuits and the spread eagle?

eree,

you are truly a ignoramus. Please post a video or picture of yourself kiting, I am sure we would all agree that you have it nailed.

25knot+
Rare Poster
Favorite Beaches: Jupiter
Gorge
Second beach
Key West flats
Mattunuck
Gilgo
Tobay
Great South Bay
CT
Style: wake/freestyle
Gear: Kites and boards
Brand Affiliation: Shop affiliated. Choose to ride Cabrinha.

Postby 25knot+ » Thu Jan 24, 2013 5:30 am

jens wrote:I am going to state what 90% of these posts are really saying.

" I am old, limp, jealous, and not willing to put the work in to understand/participate in what is really pushing the limits of kiteboarding. I just don't understand why what I am comfortable doing isn't the cool thing being hyped by all the brands. I mean really, isn't my weak, slow, low risk, low speed, joyriding, dangling, baton twirling, weekend warrior style of kiteboarding the thing? Its these punk kids and their boots, just ruining our beloved day sailing sport. I don't want to have to be reminded of just how average or below average my kite skills are on a daily basis.

These punk kids and there boots can blow the doors off of any style of kiting they choose. They are the ones pushing the limits of kiting and the ones the companies are willing to promote.

Some one tell me why if what people really want is old school then why aren't other board/extreme sports regressing? Snowboarding, freestyle skiing, Surfing ect. are becoming faster , bigger and more technical. I am sure if you go to a skiing forum people are not saying," Hey, whats up with all these twin tip skiis? There going backwards, rotating inverted and landing backwards, how boring" What happened to the days of neon snowsuits and the spread eagle?

Return to “Kitesurfing”