Contact   Imprint   Advertising   Guidelines

One Pump System in all kites should disappear!

Forum for kitesurfers
Kitesurf Vacation
Rare Poster
Local Beach: Playa del Carmen.
Favorite Beaches: Tulum, Bucerias, Nuevo Vallarta, Playa del Carmen, Progreso, Isla Blanca
Style: airstyle, oldschool
Brand Affiliation: http://www.kitesurfvacation.com
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

One Pump System in all kites should disappear!

Postby Kitesurf Vacation » Tue Jan 29, 2013 7:43 pm

One Pump Systems works ok when the kite is new, then if you have a problem on the bladders, struts, leaking valves or leading edge, is more complicated to repair them. Especially the Octopus System from Naish.

They should do it as in the beginning of kitesurfing, the struts separated from the leading edge. Is not a big deal to pump one strut by one. Keep the kites simple!!

Why they still do it like that? marketing campains? Any other reason apart from pumping it 'faster'?

Jaime

easy2e
Rare Poster
Local Beach: Weymouth
Style: Freestyle, Freeride
Brand Affiliation: none

Re: One Pump System in all kites should disappear!

Postby easy2e » Tue Jan 29, 2013 8:55 pm

I can only speak for Ozone and there are no problems with the one pump system even on my 2010 C4's which have been seriously abused, the new 2013 Edges which I also have, still have the same design.

and if you need to fix anything a blind Monkey could even repair it!

You obviously don't kite surf that often, or in extreme winds,

can you seriously imagine trying to pump each strut one by one, in 40 knots of wind, maybe ten years ago but come on, thats like saying smartphones are stupid, lets go back to a brick

And also with the one pump system you get the correct pressure in each strut.

mz16
Frequent Poster
Brand Affiliation: None

Postby mz16 » Tue Jan 29, 2013 9:02 pm

I think it varies brand to brand. I used to get soooo annoyed by 1-pump...Ive had trouble with Best and Slingshot, but I think recently most brands have fixed the issues and there isnt as much trouble.

It was usually a bitch to repair/replace, but its not as hard anymore.

mikelet
Frequent Poster
Style: Yes
Gear: Yes
Brand Affiliation: No

Postby mikelet » Tue Jan 29, 2013 9:16 pm

can you seriously imagine trying to pump each strut one by one, in 40 knots of wind, maybe ten years ago but come on, thats like saying smartphones are stupid, lets go back to a brick
Well,my high wind kites doesn't have one pump,same way doesn't have pulleys (that's another history).
KISS principle
Pumping each strut one by one,ten years ago and nowadays,in 40 knots of wind it's as easy as pumping the struts in your van or in a wind protected area at the car park or my favourite lately it's coming to the beach with the struts inflated calmly at home :D
OHhh !!,and i don't even owned an smartphone, yes i think they're an stupid way of inflating your monthly mobile phone bill.....
Last edited by mikelet on Tue Jan 29, 2013 9:37 pm, edited 2 times in total.

alexeyga
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2006
Weight: 200
Favorite Beaches: Ocean shore!
Style: Freeride dongling
Gear: Eleveight / Shinn / North / Axis / Slingshot / Airush

Postby alexeyga » Tue Jan 29, 2013 9:21 pm

Funny you've mentioned Naish's Octopus - it's the sole reason I still refuse to buy another Naish kite. Everybody else seem to have worked out the one-pump into something stupid-simple-solid and very dependable. Haven't had any issues with different one-pumps since 2007 (except the damn Octopus).

easy2e
Rare Poster
Local Beach: Weymouth
Style: Freestyle, Freeride
Brand Affiliation: none

Postby easy2e » Tue Jan 29, 2013 10:43 pm

OHhh !!,and i don't even owned an smartphone, yes i think they're an stupid way of inflating your monthly mobile phone bill.....
Each to there own Pal, but my Phone bill don't really matter to me, You can stay in the dark ages all you like but the World wont stop for anyone.

It's unfair to brand all One Pump systems bad if you've only tried one Brand, I can remember those old school winter sessions trying to inflate the Airush Lift Pros, Your fingers feel like they've been stamped on, I'd never go Back, Now pull out the Bag, connect the Pump, ready, set, go

frankm1960
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: -Bayshore, at the end sea st. on saint John's west side, bay of fundy.
-Saints rest beach, at the end of sandy point road, irving nature park, saint john, west side.
Gear: Kites: 12m LF Mig, 9m LF Mig, 5m SS Fuel
Boards: LF proof 151cm, Real Wind 144cm, home made light wind board 160 x 50

Postby frankm1960 » Tue Jan 29, 2013 11:13 pm

I don't mind single pump systems. I've fixed bladders on three different brands without to much difficulty. The worst was the octopus system but even that was doable.

I've never fixed a multipump kite before but I can't see it being that much easier to replace valves on those than on the single pump. I definitely prefer single pump in the winter.

There's always gonna be tradeoffs.

Flight Time
Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Venice Beach
Skyway Bridge North
Style: Freeride
Gear: 12 Epic Screamer
14 Epic Screamer
12 Liquid Force Havoc
16 Cabrinha Switchblade

Postby Flight Time » Wed Jan 30, 2013 12:18 am

All the one-pumps on my kites are easy. I had to replace a strut bladder recently on my 16 Cab SB, and it was incredibly simple. Saving time rigging means more time on the water.

Inflating a strut to a specific pressure rating is always hit and miss. With such a small volume of air, the amount that you lose while you quickly remove the pump and cap the valve makes a huge difference in the final air pressure in the strut. With the volume of the whole kite on one valve, that little bit of lost air is inconsequential.

The argument that you somehow save time repairing the kite by losing the one-pump system is invalid. The number of times you pump your kite is always going to be larger than the number of times you repair it. If you pump your kite over 300 times, saving about 3 minutes each time you pump it, that's 900 minutes of saved time, which is more than enough to offset the extra 30 minutes you save by being able to replace the leading edge without disconnecting the one-pump tubes. Repairing a strut takes about a minute longer on a one-pump. Offset by three times on one inflate of the kite.

Tell me again why we should lose the one-pump system.

Slappysan
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2004
Gear: Wave Bandit Performer 4-10

Postby Slappysan » Wed Jan 30, 2013 12:38 am

I have a 2008 Caution Mayhem with 1-pump that's still does just fine. I had to replace two of the LE valves and it was easy and painless.

tautologies
Very Frequent Poster

Postby tautologies » Wed Jan 30, 2013 12:41 am

Oh man not this again. OP must be bored or just out trolling.

I ride Naish kites. I have never had a problem of the octopus system. I've had I think on all the Naish kites I ever bought had 2 leaks. 2. They were as easy as a non octopus systtem to fix. I have owned a lot of naish kites.

Ok so mine are generally not over 2 years old so not that old, but I do use some of them a lot...and my buddies that are riding naish kites from many years ago have the same..no problem experience.

2 years ago, Naish made it even simpler to get to by changing the orientation of the zipper on the struts. I changed a faulty bladder..and it took about 5 minutes. It really is that easy to fix.

So what is the hangup? Why is it always people who do not use the system that complain? Or people who once saw a kite in 2007 that had a leak?

On top of that the new Ride kite only has two struts. Most people prefer the one pumps systems for one simple reason: CONVENIENCE.

Another factor is that changing a main bladder is actually easier when you have a one pump system, simply because you do not have top worry as much about the bladder turning.

So for me I don't care about the time saving, it is negligible..but it is just that much more convenient. The last non-one pump kite I owned was a EVO, and if I forgot to take those thingy you stick into the bladder out it was impossible to fill the strut with air the next time I used it. So, given a choice between a one pump and multi-pump I would take a one-pump any day.
This is based on actual experience, and not some vague idea.

Return to “Kitesurfing”