Contact   Imprint   Advertising   Guidelines

One Pump System in all kites should disappear!

Forum for kitesurfers
fourperf
Frequent Poster
Brand Affiliation: None
Has thanked: 0

Re: One Pump System in all kites should disappear!

Postby fourperf » Wed Jan 30, 2013 6:10 am

OzBungy wrote:
TheJoe wrote:I'm in the camp of no one pumps. What would be nice is the option for people that don't like them to be able to buy kites with out them. ...
That is an absurd idea. You want manufacturers to run parallel assembly lines, develop and test parallel models, and importers, distributors and retailers to manage multiple lines of stock just because you had a little bad luck?

I have over 100 hours each on my current 3 kites and about 800 hours on one pump LEI. The oldest single kite had 200+ hours. No punctures. No failures. No problems.

I started kiting in 1999. I have pumped struts. Pumping struts sucks.
Agreed. Started kiting in 2001 and my kites get a lot of use. Pumping struts suck. Have owned almost every brand. Never a problem with a one pump system on any kite or changing a LE or strut bladder.

WildDuke
Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Taurama beach
Gear: 2012 10m Airush Varial X
2012 12m Airush One
2012 9m Airush One
2012 Cabrinha Custom 140x42.5 Board
2012 Liquidforce Vantage CT boots
2010 Dakine Pyro waist harness
Been thanked: 0

Postby WildDuke » Wed Jan 30, 2013 8:16 am

If you really want an individual pump kite, you can buy Airush Dna kites. They are basicslly litium kites, which are great kites, but without the fancy colour scheme and one pump. Also cheaper too!

FabsPH
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Oahu, S shore
Favorite Beaches: Oahu S shore, Mokuleia,
Style: Free style wave
Gear: Eclipse, Underground
Brand Affiliation: Eclipse, Underground

Postby FabsPH » Sat Feb 02, 2013 8:55 am

Kitesurf Vacation wrote:One Pump Systems works ok when the kite is new, then if you have a problem on the bladders, struts, leaking valves or leading edge, is more complicated to repair them. Especially the Octopus System from Naish.

They should do it as in the beginning of kitesurfing, the struts separated from the leading edge. Is not a big deal to pump one strut by one. Keep the kites simple!!

Why they still do it like that? marketing campains? Any other reason apart from pumping it 'faster'?

Jaime
never had a problem with any one pump over the years. Keep your gear clean, etc.. they last. Some had tube problems, but taken care of. Yes it's a bitch to repair, but with two people, easy..and a lot of baby powder. one pump is one of the top inventions in kiting, ever. After 4 line and depower.

papand
Medium Poster
Local Beach: Korsør
Gear: VEGAS BABY - 2012
Brand Affiliation: Local store owner, i sell north, slingshot, naish, flexifoil.

Postby papand » Sat Feb 02, 2013 9:34 am

One guy at the local is stil riding his Cult from i think, 2008? Dont think he ever had a problem except when he crashed it into a bench.

Myself, i ride North new and old kites.. Have experience any problems yet :)

JGTR
Very Frequent Poster

Postby JGTR » Sat Feb 02, 2013 3:39 pm

Still riding 2007 Naishs, no one pump problems at all :thumb: Got some 06 Ravens still working great :thumb:

Maybe other manufacturers should design a reliable system like the Octopus if they are having problems?

POACHER
Very Frequent Poster
Gear: ¤°

Postby POACHER » Sat Feb 02, 2013 5:15 pm

Sometimes you guys sound like a bunch of geriatric hillbillys. :crazy2:
"I don't need no one pumpy thinga majiggy!...............or a damn MObile telephone!"
:lol:

Seriously?
I can't imagine going back to pumping struts.......no way.
Also been kiting since 2001, started with a Naish AR 3.5 two line which was only a 7m I believe. Pumping that thing was a royal pain in the ass. I'd rather pump a 16m one pump than deal with that POS.

You guys bagging on one pump obviously live in a warm climate. Try dealing with all of those valves when the air temp is under 40F and you're fingers don't work.
It's not much fun.

(Oh btw....there are cell plans now that run $45 a month for data, unlimited cell and unlimited text. Having a smartphone for kiting is a huge plus too.)

Embrace the change.

Jono 111
Frequent Poster

Postby Jono 111 » Sat Feb 02, 2013 6:46 pm

Poacher - the cool thing is that people can have different opinions for different reasons.

In your case, you operate in the cold, I completely get why you would never want to go back to many-pump.

In my case, all my kitesurfing is on the back of a long haul flight - and usually alone. If you're trying to cram 3 kites and 2 boards and all your clothing into a single bag, it's a complete pain. The kites take up a material amount of extra space, they're heavier, and you can't cram them down nearly as much because of all that hardware in the kite.

In my case, the time I save pumping up is completely negated by the extra time to deflate the struts and faff around rolling the kite in a way that is sympathetic to the one pump hardware (remember how quickly you can neatly roll a many-pump, or pack down when a great big rain front is about to hit).

Where I kitesurf is nowhere near a shop or anywhere to get supplies. I don't want any added complication when a bladder goes, other than grabbing a spare strut, chucking it in and being back on the water in 30 minutes.

And when I'm out there alone, I don't want to think about my entire kite deflating itself and losing my prime safety of having something to use as a raft.

I don't think these are illogical reasons - or make me a luddite. But perhaps you can see that different people have (I think) legitimate reasons for holding different views....

tautologies
Very Frequent Poster

Postby tautologies » Sat Feb 02, 2013 8:13 pm

Jono 111 wrote:Poacher - the cool thing is that people can have different opinions for different reasons.

In your case, you operate in the cold, I completely get why you would never want to go back to many-pump.

In my case, all my kitesurfing is on the back of a long haul flight - and usually alone. If you're trying to cram 3 kites and 2 boards and all your clothing into a single bag, it's a complete pain. The kites take up a material amount of extra space, they're heavier, and you can't cram them down nearly as much because of all that hardware in the kite.

In my case, the time I save pumping up is completely negated by the extra time to deflate the struts and faff around rolling the kite in a way that is sympathetic to the one pump hardware (remember how quickly you can neatly roll a many-pump, or pack down when a great big rain front is about to hit).

Where I kitesurf is nowhere near a shop or anywhere to get supplies. I don't want any added complication when a bladder goes, other than grabbing a spare strut, chucking it in and being back on the water in 30 minutes.

And when I'm out there alone, I don't want to think about my entire kite deflating itself and losing my prime safety of having something to use as a raft.

I don't think these are illogical reasons - or make me a luddite. But perhaps you can see tha

But then what you want is a kite with fewer struts not no one pump. Kites with one pump do keep the air in the struts. The ride only has two struts and packs really really small. Or get a no strut. That packs even smaller.
The point is that one pumps are reliable...and there are options for you to save space. I could easily fit 6 8 and 10 ride in one kite bag.

t different people have (I think) legitimate reasons for holding different views....

Flight Time
Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Venice Beach
Skyway Bridge North
Style: Freeride
Gear: 12 Epic Screamer
14 Epic Screamer
12 Liquid Force Havoc
16 Cabrinha Switchblade

Postby Flight Time » Sat Feb 02, 2013 9:24 pm

Jono 111 wrote:In my case, all my kitesurfing is on the back of a long haul flight - and usually alone. If you're trying to cram 3 kites and 2 boards and all your clothing into a single bag, it's a complete pain. The kites take up a material amount of extra space, they're heavier, and you can't cram them down nearly as much because of all that hardware in the kite.
Really?! Are we talking about the same couple sections of surgical rubber tubes, here? This isn't a Home Depot hardware section in your kite. Let the plastic ends take the place of the valve on each strut, and you are left with five or less 7 inch sections of rubber hose, which are entirely flexible and collapsible, a couple pieces of lightweight plastic (about the same amount that is found in a hair comb), and all in all it might weigh a couple grams. Over 3 kites, that comes out to an entirely insignificant amount of weight (probably not even as heavy as the amount of sand stuck to the kite after a session), and a volume that is almost un-measureable lost in all the yards of fabric. The way you roll the kite session to session could affect more the overall volume of the package.

So what you're saying is that it is 6 to one, half a dozen to the other. Irrelevant.
Yeah, the spare strut for a one pump is just as easy to install, but with the extra hassle of rolling up a rubber band and pulling a hose off. A whole 30 seconds (with the re-installation) for a third-grader. Granted, a leading edge bladder might take up to an additional 2 minutes and 30 seconds depending on the number of struts on it. :roll:

That's why there are hose pinches on every one pump kite out there, and as an added bonus, all the struts end up at exactly the same pressure that the leading edge has. Takes a lot less time than trying to balance the air pressure in your struts and fiddle a valve flap closed before the strut loses pressure.
I don't think these are illogical reasons - or make me a luddite. But perhaps you can see that different people have (I think) legitimate reasons for holding different views....
No, pretty much all those reasons are illogical with modern one-pumps, which coincidentally, is why all modern kites are one pumps, save for ones that have logical reasons for not being so, such as ultra light wind models.

TheJoe
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Texas city levee, Galveston, El Jardine and Crystal beach.
Style: Freeride, Foil, Surf, a lil freestyle
Gear: North Reach 7,9,12
Brunotti TT
Moses 633/483
Dwarfcraft Micro

Postby TheJoe » Sat Feb 02, 2013 11:13 pm

Flight Time wrote:No, pretty much all those reasons are illogical with modern one-pumps, which coincidentally, is why all modern kites are one pumps, save for ones that have logical reasons for not being so, such as ultra light wind models.
You know some people have their own reasons for not wanting a one pump. Ok so here is mine lets see if you think I'm being illogical you small minded self serving twit that thinks he knows what is best for everyone else. And that goes for all you lazy asses that think just because it saves you time that no one out there should dare disagree with you. How dare someone have another opinion!!!!

I ride hard my kite crashes hard! One pump has far more points of failure actually twice as many points to be exact. Matter of fact I had 4 failures last spring with a brand new kite. Like I said I ride hard. I bet most of the people that don't want the one pump have the same riding style as I do. I'm fortunate that my local spot is shallow and I can walk in if I have a failure. I would hate to swim in with a fully deflated kite. Oh get this those clips don't hold in the kinds of crashes I put my kite thru.

Oh get this I all so fly C kites you know the ones that are for the hardcore blah blah whatever. If that is the case then why do they have one pump? I don't know I don't care I just want the option to have both. I'm not going to set here and tell everyone else they should abandon one pump. Do I think that yes but its your dollar buy what you want. Just don't insult myself or others for actually understanding how large of a safety hazard it truly is.

And while I'm at it stop being a bunch of pussies with panties all jammed up your va-jay-jays because some one might want something different then you.

Return to “Kitesurfing”