Contact   Imprint   Advertising   Guidelines

2013 Blade Fat Lady

Forum for kitesurfers
clint2070
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Strand,Tourmaline,Stinkz,Belmont,Seal.
Favorite Beaches: C St, Naish beach, tourmaline,Strand, cabarete, San Quintin, La Ventana,Rauls,Nungas,Mancora,
Style: surf, freeride
Gear: Naish, Firewire, ride engine,Ford,liquid force, Zeeko.Tomo,
Brand Affiliation: None

Re: 2013 Blade Fat Lady

Postby clint2070 » Tue Feb 12, 2013 9:13 am

I've been riding a 5'2" sweet potato with my Fat Lady which has been great but today I bought a sector 66. Cant wait to learn how to ride it tomorrow !

KYLakeKiter
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2010
Local Beach: Kentucky Lake (Tennessee) Standing Rock Cove and Big Sandy
Favorite Beaches: Who needs a beach? Just give me some open water.
Style: LeeRoyyyyyy Jenkinnnnnnns!
Gear: All kites are cool !
Boards are like music. Everyone likes something different.

Postby KYLakeKiter » Tue Feb 12, 2013 3:53 pm

fdvj wrote:Ok you love your big kite, you think it is better than all the other big kites, we don't care what you think about your kite, your ego won't let you accept that you are actually rather dull.
Just thought I would clear that up for you.
:stop: :stop: :stop: :stop: :spam: :stop:
If you think someone's oppinion of their new kite is dull, don't bother reading a post titled "2013 Blade Fat Lady"

I am glad to hear that Clint likes his kite and appreciate reading what he has to say about it. :thumb: Someone being happy with what they got does not make it spam and I would also assume that if he said his new kite sucked, you might want to hear about it. :-?

coleman
Very Frequent Poster
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Postby coleman » Tue Feb 12, 2013 4:30 pm

Of course the usual suspects are chiming in with their "data" to
Prove for once and all (until the next big kite thread at least) which kites are the best and why.

I would have to say that the lightwind folks have to be the nit pickiest lot on this forum. And I am not talking about the original post here, which was a nice little tidbit about a good kite, rather some of the retorts which are Supa-lame as always.

Most big kites these days will get people going nicely with the right board and some skills. Obviously you have to choose how you want your power delivered. Super grunty
Sitting back in the window or flying forward building lots of apparent wind with board speed....
Or something in between.

Some folks need to tend to their Supa-ailing vaginas rather than
Post repetitive crap on the forum

fdvj
Frequent Poster
Local Beach: lancing
Style: freeride
Gear: naish nobile

Postby fdvj » Tue Feb 12, 2013 6:50 pm

KYLakeKiter wrote:
fdvj wrote:Ok you love your big kite, you think it is better than all the other big kites, we don't care what you think about your kite, your ego won't let you accept that you are actually rather dull.
If you think someone's oppinion of their new kite is dull, don't bother reading a post titled "2013 Blade Fat Lady"

I am glad to hear that Clint likes his kite and appreciate reading what he has to say about it. :thumb: Someone being happy with what they got does not make it spam and I would also assume that if he said his new kite sucked, you might want to hear about it. :-?
I was referring to SUPA Dulls post about pimping his kite on every possible occasion, I am a fat lady rider my self so was interested in this thread.

KYLakeKiter
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2010
Local Beach: Kentucky Lake (Tennessee) Standing Rock Cove and Big Sandy
Favorite Beaches: Who needs a beach? Just give me some open water.
Style: LeeRoyyyyyy Jenkinnnnnnns!
Gear: All kites are cool !
Boards are like music. Everyone likes something different.

Postby KYLakeKiter » Tue Feb 12, 2013 11:53 pm

fdvj wrote:
KYLakeKiter wrote:

I was referring to SUPA Dulls post about pimping his kite on every possible occasion, I am a fat lady rider my self so was interested in this thread.
Sorry for the misunderstanding on my part :oops:

I really hope that eventually we will get to see some light wind kite posts where some regular kiters with no affiliations have some different light wind kites and compare them just for the fun of it. Everyone will have different likes and dislikes, but it would be cool to hear what people think without it being such a competition. :bye:

coleman
Very Frequent Poster

Postby coleman » Wed Feb 13, 2013 4:53 am

agreed! somebody ahem ahem, supa-asswipe keeps hijacking the lightwind threads with "expert" know it all, last word freak bs. i am tired of this particular doushbag

droffats
Very Frequent Poster
Style: Freeride, Hdrofoil, Waves, Big Air
Gear: Ozone, Ocean Rodeo, Cabrinha, Mystic
Brand Affiliation: www.adventurekiteboarding.com

Postby droffats » Sat Feb 16, 2013 6:11 pm

Not sure of the wind speed -- it was light by the time I got out. The snow was pretty wet and slow too.

Our first Fat Lady was green, not red. It will be interesting to see what color our next ones are.

- Stafford

www.adventurekiteboarding.com

URSS
Rare Poster
Local Beach: Baie de Valois
Oka
Vaudreuil
Anse a l'orme
Favorite Beaches: Cape Hatteras
Magdelan Island
Shippagan
Gear: EH ripper
Monkey Griffin
Ozone Instince

Postby URSS » Sat Feb 16, 2013 11:33 pm

Always funny that debate on sub 8 knots wind kiting. I have friends with 10 years of kiting in the body and a great technic : it's impressive what they can do with a Flysurfer 21m and a raceboard. But this is a lot of commitment (read a lot of money) to ride in 5 knots and this is not my thing.

One thing is sure, this is not the Fat Lady spirit (sub 8 knots wind). Though, last year in OBX I've been riding in 6-7 knots with Cabrinha Plasma board + 5 meters line extensions. Let's say 7 knots, just to make sure not to start a debate :argue: The same day the wind picked-up to 8 knots and it was time to switch to a smaller board (F-One Trax 2008 135x39). See pictures bellow.

Before riding the Fat Lady I have to admit I was not a light wind adict. But last year I've made most of my freestyle progression on this kite. Once I nail down a new trick on the Fat Lady, than I try it in my 12m and then on my 9m with more horizontal POP. This kite is very fast, this is true. I've made a lot of progressions with loops : backroll+kiteloop, frontroll+downloop, hand plant, F-16...

I don't want to highjack the 2013 thread but here is my appreciation of the 2012 wind range (I'm 175 pounds) :
6 knots (okay maybe 7 :wink: ) : glide with a big board, barely go upwind
8 knots : glide with a small board, go upwind with my Trax
10 knots : very good POP to try new tricks, go upwind without a problem
8-14 knots : sweet spot to progress in freestyle or to enjoy freeride
14-22 knots : time for big airs

At 22 knots, make sure to have 1 mile free downwind. If your a beginner, don't recommand to try this : 15 knots is probably your limit.

What I like on Fat Lady V1 :
- Low end
- Amazing POP
- Very fast turning for it's size
- Very light construction (3 small struts + very small leading edge) but not flapping
- Easy relaunch (easier than my 12m, no problem in 6 knots)
- Very stable, even in 20 knots

I've been riding the V1 with 5m line extensions and on the ''less power'' setting :
- 5 m line extensions gives the right balance between low end (greatly improved) and kite speed (slightly slower)
- ''less power'' setup is better : on the ''more power'' setup you probaly gain 1/2 knots on the low end but you loose 2-3 knots on the high end, and the kite sits deeper in the wind window (and you loose upwind ability)

What I'd like to see on V2 (2013 Fat Lady wish list) :
- Slightly less bar preasure
- Slightly better upwind ability
- Without affecting POP and turning speed too much
- Longer bar throw to improve high end (I'm sure this kite can remain very stable even more depowered)

From what I've read so far I think I will place the order! Please, I'd like to have more feedback on my Fat Lady 2013 wish list.. By the way, is there adjustments on rear lines and briddle attatchment?

I'm from Montreal and during summer time we ride in light wind conditions. I'm glad to see that the past 3 years kite companies have started to invest in that market segment. Everytime a new kite is developed the bar is raised (most of the time). This is all good for kitesurfers. Samething for the boards, a lot of new light wind boards with great POP (ex. Crazyfly Cruiser Pro, Nobile XTR) have been developped.

P.S. I've just booked one week in OBX, soundfront and I will have the chance to try back to back the following kites : Core 19m, Ozone Zephyr 17m, Ozone Edge 17m, Fat Lady 17m V1 and Fat Lady 2013 (if I have my bonus). I will post a review light wind kite review.

leightong
Rare Poster
Local Beach: Beadnell Bay North easty England
Favorite Beaches: Budle Bay, Beadnell Bay
Style: Freeride
Gear: Ozone Zephyr 17m
Nobile Koinobori 12m + 9m
Nobile N62 (m + 7m
Shinn Gintronic
Spleene Door 59

Postby leightong » Wed Mar 13, 2013 10:24 am

Thanks for the post URSS - nicely balanced.

I've recently bought a Fat lady 2011 and can't say I'm that impressed so far. I haven't had any flat water and been forced to use it in lighter winds in roughish sea which isn't ideal but on the few days I've used it in fairly flat conditions the downwind pull was too great to stay away from shore even in 10-12knots (86kg intermediate rider). Maybe its my technique so I'll give it some time. Its certainly a lot faster than the Zephyr I used to have which was good and had a great range but was a bit boring after a while for me.

Which setting is the 'less power' setting? it isn't marked on the kite or in any manual - is it nearer the centre strut or nearer the wing tips? Does this setting push it farther forward in the window? I also need to use line extensions as you mention - the Zephyr had 27m lines I think and the bar I have looks like a standard trigger bar so I'll try these adjustments and report back after I try them. BTW I have the 14m 2012 trigger which I've been using when its marginal 12m conditions and its a fantastic kite - really light and reactive. Love it.

Cheers

calibra
Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Guincho
Nova Vaga
Fonte da Telha
Lagoa De Albufeira
Style: Freeride, Freestyle, Wave ride.
Gear: Blade Vertigo 2007 8m
Bangkiteboard Bowmoq 136X43
Surf Board Bluebottlhe 5.10 epoxy with 4 fins 4WFS

Postby calibra » Wed Mar 13, 2013 11:49 pm

leightong wrote:
Which setting is the 'less power' setting? it isn't marked on the kite or in any manual - is it nearer the centre strut or nearer the wing tips? Does this setting push it farther forward in the window?
the less power setting is in the direction line conection, you have a line with 2 knots, the closer to wing tip is more power, the other is less power.

that configuration that you are talking is to turning speed, closer to center strut is slower (bigger turns), and near to the wing tip is faster ( turns more in the pivot)

you can see the manual in the oficial Blade Website in the support menu

http://bladekites.com/support

cheers

:thumb: :thumb:

Return to “Kitesurfing”