Frequent Poster
Local Beach: not telling
Favorite Beaches: So far: Santa Cruz, Pismo, Hood River
Style: lil this ... lil dat
Gear: The one that flies and floats
Brand Affiliation: None

Re: 2013 Blade Fat Lady

Postby pixelpedro » Fri Apr 12, 2013 2:50 pm

calibra wrote:any more doubts??? :naughty: :naughty: :naughty: :lol: :lol: :lol:
were there any?

Mine on its way! Can't wait.

vrossi46
Rare Poster
Favorite Beaches: PRASONISI RHODES GREECE , PAROS-KITE GREECE , AG.ANDREAS KITE BEACH GREECE
Style: GREEK :)
Gear: BLADE KITES , ABOARDS KITEBOARDING/SNOWKITE BOARDS
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Postby vrossi46 » Fri Apr 19, 2013 9:35 am

[vimeo]http://vimeo.com/64370816[/vimeo]

a sort video , riding the fat lady 2013 in 10-12k two days ago.

OceanAdventures
Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Leeside park - Fort Walton Beach
Gear: Wainman Hawaii
Brand Affiliation: Wainman Hawaii

Postby OceanAdventures » Fri Apr 19, 2013 10:06 am

It seems that the more I read about light wind kites, that there is usually two different perceptions of light wind.

I was out the other day on a very light 7 to 9 mph day. Only two people out. Me and a guy with a 2012 Blade Fat lady. He was on a surfboard and I was riding a Glide 149.

His kite ended up was in the water and had to swim back, and I was riding both the Core Riot 19 and the Slingshot Turbine.

Because he too so long to get back I didn't get a chance to try his kite, but watching him struggle showed me a lot. In 10-12 knots, I can ride any light wind kite, and Ill admit faster kites are going to be more fun, but guys in my area who want to ride more days, they want the best light wind kite that gets them up in the lightest of winds, and right now the two kites out of all the ones I've tried and seen, are the Turbine followed by the Cort Riot 19m. Kites on my list to try are the Ocean Rodeo Flite, and I would be interested in the upcoming no strut Air Rush.

14ToeSide
Very Frequent Poster
Favorite Beaches: Sandy Spit
Gear: North, Ozone, Naish, Flysurfer
Brand Affiliation: What ever works Best that year

Postby 14ToeSide » Fri Apr 19, 2013 2:12 pm

+1 with O Adventures. People's perception of light wind is warped in most cases. I have flown the core 19 two different times and it has a Big range. It also PULLS upwind in Ultra light wind contrary to some kite claims about how they get you going. I'm not interested in kiting downwind and having to catch the Bus back upwind.

calibra
Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Guincho
Nova Vaga
Fonte da Telha
Lagoa De Albufeira
Style: Freeride, Freestyle, Wave ride.
Gear: Blade Vertigo 2007 8m
Bangkiteboard Bowmoq 136X43
Surf Board Bluebottlhe 5.10 epoxy with 4 fins 4WFS
Brand Affiliation: None

Postby calibra » Fri Apr 19, 2013 5:29 pm

Ocean, i have now the fat lady v2, and had also the v1. And for me, i dont want a kite only to ride from one side to the other, but that its me, if you want lw kites, you have royal with 19m, and some 21m foils, and those kites are for LW, BUT , they are not that funny to ride.

I am 1.98m and 98 kg, and i can ride with a 6.1 surfboard since the 8/10 knots, but i can have a lot of fun riding, yesterday i was riding with 10knots and i was doing some overhead waves and going upwind withou any problem.

In your compare with the fat lady, you didnt tell one thing, first you have 2 more meters comparing with the fat lady, you had a light wind board, 149x?????. And what is your weight and from the fat lady rider??

And if the wind picks up to 18/20 knots while you are in the water?? Do you can handle the core??? You can be sure that you can handle the fat lady.

And about light wind claims from anyone, it dependes a lot in other factors, like current, density from the air, board, if the rider is heavy or not, how many meters in the lines???

So i think this is always a subject to discussion...

Cheer

:thumb: :thumb:

rodeoclown
Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Carkeek Park, Seattle
Style: Freeride
Gear: Naish, Blade, Ocean Rodeo
Brand Affiliation: Shop ambassador for Urban Surf in Seattle

Postby rodeoclown » Sun Apr 21, 2013 1:01 am

http://youtu.be/yZ_AboQAO4k

2 things I love about the v2 fat lady
Reacts like the trigger, quickly with precision and power,
and the uni-bar, such a deluxe compact bar for such a big kite.
All I need now is wind!

bgkiter
Rare Poster
Local Beach: Golden Gardens
Favorite Beaches: Viento
Style: wake
Gear: UFO
Brand Affiliation: Whatever is going cheap

Postby bgkiter » Sun Apr 21, 2013 5:07 pm

OceanAdventures wrote:It seems that the more I read about light wind kites, that there is usually two different perceptions of light wind.

I was out the other day on a very light 7 to 9 mph day. Only two people out. Me and a guy with a 2012 Blade Fat lady. He was on a surfboard and I was riding a Glide 149.

His kite ended up was in the water and had to swim back, and I was riding both the Core Riot 19 and the Slingshot Turbine.

Because he too so long to get back I didn't get a chance to try his kite, but watching him struggle showed me a lot. In 10-12 knots, I can ride any light wind kite, and Ill admit faster kites are going to be more fun, but guys in my area who want to ride more days, they want the best light wind kite that gets them up in the lightest of winds, and right now the two kites out of all the ones I've tried and seen, are the Turbine followed by the Cort Riot 19m. Kites on my list to try are the Ocean Rodeo Flite, and I would be interested in the upcoming no strut Air Rush.
Here are a couple of pics from yesterday at SPI North Flats, wind was direct offshore around the 11mph range with some lulls in the 7mph. FL v1, 200lbs all-up suited/wet rider, intermediate, LF kaos 136, outgoing tide, 23m lines. I was the only one staying and gaining upwind close to shore with a properly trimmed FL v1. There was a guy on a turbine with a door type board that did a few tacks earlier, walked back to shore and then buggered off. Have not tried the v2 but given that it is higher aspect I expect it to perform even better.

V
Attachments
SPI_lightwind2.jpg
SPI_lightwind1.jpg
SPI, offshore

L0KI
Very Frequent Poster
Gear: .

Postby L0KI » Sun Apr 21, 2013 5:34 pm

The Turbine I flew was awful.
Edit (to expand on that statement) :
Depower was lousy, difficult to turn off the power/forward motion.
It turned as slow as an aircraft carrier.
It shot forward, pulling you hard off your edge, with every gust, and then dropped back after the gust.
Maybe better suited to really steady coastal wind.
The below the bar depower was not a good choice with that kite, pretty difficult to use with that canopy pulling on it.
Just my two cents.
Last edited by L0KI on Sun Apr 21, 2013 10:15 pm, edited 5 times in total.

bigwave
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 1999
Style: Foil and Surf.
Gear: Kites: Slingshot UFO
Foil: Armstrong
Boards:Slingshot DC100
Harnesses: Mystic Stealth
Wetsuits: Mystic
Glasses: Lip
Brand Affiliation: silentsports.com

Postby bigwave » Sun Apr 21, 2013 6:28 pm

Oldnbroken wrote:The Turbine I flew was awful.
Maybe you could expand on that statement? The Slingshot Turbine IMO an excellent kite. It would do everything you would need it to do.
On a recent trip, we used a Cabrinha Crossbow 18 LW. Spectacular in 8-10 knots riding a SS Reform Skim, SS Wakesurfer 5'0" and even a Shinn Red TT.
I observed a Blade Fat Lady(not sure which version) on the water. The rider was having a more difficult time than some of our crew in the light wind. He was using a TT. In bigger wind(I was powered up well on a 2013 SS Rally 14m/ Shinn Dundee 44) the Blade Fat Lady rider was going very well which I was impressed he was hanging on to such a big kite. Possibly it has big range.
Our first experience with Blade was not positive. While in St Lucia, a mechanical failure occurred with the swivel,resulting in a healthy swim. Now, This is no slight against the kite or the brand, shit does happen. But remember, you only get one chance to make a first impression.
I have used several of the new light wind kites and they are all very good products IMO. Coupled with the right board, could have a great deal of fun riding any of them.

Return to “Kitesurfing”