Local Beach: Apelviken, Läjet, Björkäng, Trönningenäs
Gear: Ocean Rodeo Razor and Rise
Brand Affiliation: None
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Need advice regarding surfboard

Postby henke » Sat Feb 09, 2013 1:33 pm

Hi,

I'll start using a surfboard as a complement to twintip and would need some advice regarding size and thruster vs quad.
I can get a good deal from Crazyfly but aren't sure if I'm on the right track for my choice of board.

My weight is about 154lb and I'm riding in winds from 10kn to 40kn. Waves about 0,5m - 2m maybe more. Have been kitesurfing since 2005 but have moved to a spot were we have good waves :D

CF have three different models where two have quad fins and one with thruster setup.
Taurin 5'8'' x 19'' Quad fish tail
takii 6'0'' x 19,5'' Quad fish tail
Thunder 6'2'' x 19'' Thruster round tail

I can also say that my intention is also to use the board as a surfboard without kite if it's possible to do such combination. No need for perfect use when wave surfing.

I'll only in for strapless surfing.

My first choice is to go for the Thunder but I don't know if waves in size below 1m is to small for that board to be nice to ride in because we don't always have big waves here.

Hope someone that have used the CF boards can give some input from anyone are appreciated.

/henrik

tautologies
Very Frequent Poster

Re: Need advice regarding surfboard

Postby tautologies » Sat Feb 09, 2013 8:55 pm

for your weight all those boards are going to be big...especially in the higher end of the scale.

Obviously depends on the outline of the board..so definitely more towards the thunder, but still seems a bit big to me.

It is really hard to get away with one board all the time though.

henke
Medium Poster
Local Beach: Apelviken, Läjet, Björkäng, Trönningenäs
Gear: Ocean Rodeo Razor and Rise

Postby henke » Sat Feb 09, 2013 10:10 pm

thanks for your input!

I'll take notice about the size. For the high end winds I'll continue to use a TT so that part will not be a problem.

/henrik

shaper
Rare Poster
Brand Affiliation: Switch

Postby shaper » Sun Feb 10, 2013 12:43 am

Agree with Tautologies at that kind of weight somthing in the 5'6" to 5'8" range would be ok but you definiely want narrower than 19" say 17.5" to 18.25" or something like that. If you can it'd be good to get something with the thruster/quad option. You'll need to be careful also not to get something too wide through the back of the board (this increases planing area which is good if you are strapless or looking for light wind but not so good if you have high wind and are trying to hold a rail).

Return to “Kitesurfing”