Learn a kiteloop

Forum for kitesurfers
skullcandy
Very Frequent Poster
Style: Freeride / Mutant / Waves TT
Gear: Enduro 7m/10m

Re: Learn a kiteloop

Postby skullcandy » Thu Jan 21, 2016 4:43 pm

Do-it wrote:Jump..... pull back hand....land....you probably won't land the first 10.

BALL SLAP

Key for me was turning your hips upwind as much as possible during your load n pop without giving up too much line tension / speed... I found that if I carried too much momentum straight or a tad downwind I came in too hot on the loop landing; hence the dreaded ball slap. By edging more upwind (more than I normally do) for a big jump I pop more straight up with the kite around 12:30 to start the loop.

And there is no "easy button" when it comes to learning kite loops. The pain chamber of crash landings is a right of passage - just like when you first learned.

knotwindy
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: baja, gorge
Style: erratic to none
Gear: yes, I use gear
Brand Affiliation: None

Postby knotwindy » Thu Jan 21, 2016 5:06 pm

edt wrote:i dont know who is saying loop at the apex. If you loop after the apex you get a helicopter loop. If you loop before the apex you get megaloop. If you loop at the apex you get the worst of all worlds. You don't get a big yank like a megaloop and there's a good chance the kite won't catch you
+1 yup, don't do it at the apex

edt
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2010
Local Beach: Michigan
Gear: ride hard, no regrets

Postby edt » Thu Jan 21, 2016 5:07 pm

skullcandy wrote:
And there is no "easy button" when it comes to learning kite loops. The pain chamber of crash landings is a right of passage - just like when you first learned.
I don't believe this. I think it's possible to learn megaloops without breaking your knees and pushing your balls right up into your anus. The problem is that there so very little good instruction. Want to learn how to do a slim chance, front roll, jibe you name it we have hundreds of instructive videos want to learn how to kiteloop, the pickings are miserable and most are of the kind that say "Everyone crashes a lot learning kiteloops" that's not instruction that's trial and error. The actual kiteloop itself is easy of course, all you are doing is pulling hard on your bar. What is difficult is timing and knowing what kinds of loops are even possible in which wind conditions. People go out trying megaloops when there's not enough wind and end up wrecking themselves because you are supposed to crash. They don't even know what they are trying is impossible.

Dimitri M
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: I travel all over the world.
Favorite Beaches: So many to list....
Style: MY OWN STYLE :-)
Gear: SCREAMER 7/9/12/14 for Free Style. Not to forget the SCREAMER 10 LTD for my one go kite.
SURF 8 & 12 for the waves. RENEGADE 6.5 and 9 for all around kiting. And some times I use my son's JUNIOR PRO 4 when it blows 45+ for the waves.
Just try the EPICKITES and you will see for yourself.
Brand Affiliation: Owner of EPIC KITES
Has thanked: 0

Postby Dimitri M » Thu Jan 21, 2016 5:57 pm

Hello RedStar.
This video that I made few months ago has helped a lot of kiters in learning the steps you need to take in order to Kiteloop and push your limits.

Hopefully this will help you. Good luck. :thumb:

http://vimeo.com/131190603

edt
Very Frequent Poster

Postby edt » Thu Jan 21, 2016 6:34 pm

the above is the best I have ever seen, sorry Dimitri. Someone needs to repost without the background music so it gets unblocked. My translation of the french:

go out lit 9 meters in 25 knots, once you start you must commit, and pull hard. After the kite loops push the bar out so the kite catches you and land with the board pointed downwind.

skullcandy
Very Frequent Poster
Style: Freeride / Mutant / Waves TT
Gear: Enduro 7m/10m

Postby skullcandy » Thu Jan 21, 2016 6:35 pm

edt wrote:
skullcandy wrote:
I don't believe this. I think it's possible to learn megaloops without breaking your knees and pushing your balls right up into your anus. The problem is that there so very little good instruction. Want to learn how to do a slim chance, front roll, jibe you name it we have hundreds of instructive videos want to learn how to kiteloop, the pickings are miserable and most are of the kind that say "Everyone crashes a lot learning kiteloops" that's not instruction that's trial and error. The actual kiteloop itself is easy of course, all you are doing is pulling hard on your bar. What is difficult is timing and knowing what kinds of loops are even possible in which wind conditions. People go out trying megaloops when there's not enough wind and end up wrecking themselves because you are supposed to crash. They don't even know what they are trying is impossible.

Fair enough - but I still don't think its easy assuming you have the right gear, are trying the right kind of loop for the conditions. The timing as you mention is something you don't just explain to someone and they magically do it. They need to figure it out - and thus they crash ( I sure did). But, as you highlight, if you learn slowly then its not so bad. By slowly I mean - do a small jump, then as you are on your way down, or even landing on the water, start the loop. Then go from there. I think some just huck and pull their first few times - bad wipe outs.

I learned the slow way and still got worked my first 10 or so regular loops, - but got the hang of it right away.

Everything must be is a good sequence to pull it off. - The timing but takes a lot of trial and error to figure out all that timing. That's all im saying.

Dimitri M
Very Frequent Poster
Gear: SCREAMER 7/9/12/14 for Free Style. Not to forget the SCREAMER 10 LTD for my one go kite.
SURF 8 & 12 for the waves. RENEGADE 6.5 and 9 for all around kiting. And some times I use my son's JUNIOR PRO 4 when it blows 45+ for the waves.

Postby Dimitri M » Thu Jan 21, 2016 6:47 pm

Poster: edt
the above is the best I have ever seen, sorry Dimitri.
I am not perfect :D
But it's great to see more videos on "how to?"

Good luck RedStar and remember to start in low wind (13 to 17 mph) and make sure you have a fast turning kite.

edt
Very Frequent Poster

Postby edt » Thu Jan 21, 2016 8:10 pm

oh for sure love your video. Yours is a great addition to the kiteloop instruction. I do think you could do better. Make another one!

Dimitri M
Very Frequent Poster

Postby Dimitri M » Thu Jan 21, 2016 9:11 pm

Poster: edt
Make another one!
Thanks edt, just trying to help my fellow kiters on "how to". But at the same time I am too busy running my kite company. Plus I am working on few other videos.
One of them "THE TAKE OFF" just got released yesterday. You can watch it on the 5G EPIC KITES topic page of this forum if any one is interested.

PBKiteboarding
Very Frequent Poster
Style: New School
Gear: Fone
Nobile
Ozone Water & Snow
Flysurfer
Flyboards
Ocean Rodeo
Seaspecs
Location: PBKiteboarding.com Sales-Repair-Lessons Ozone, Aboards, Flysurfer, OR, Canada USA Worlwide

Postby PBKiteboarding » Thu Jan 21, 2016 9:14 pm

I'll throw in a 10m Ozone C4 Loop... not too windy on this day... Good angle to see......
PBK Paul
www.PBKiteboarding.com

Return to “Kitesurfing”