Contact   Imprint   Advertising   Guidelines

14 m for big lofty jump

Forum for kitesurfers
Tone
Very Frequent Poster

Re: 14 m for big lofty jump

Postby Tone » Wed Mar 13, 2013 7:08 am

I have flown the 10m 4 times. Im 235lbs and can ride ny small board in 15-18 knots quite happily, jump a bit, blkl etc. Flown the 10m in a gusty 25 knots and still didny feel mega powered but Christ! The jumps are out of this world. The speed the kite allows you to travel at is insane and that translates into huge jumps. Really happy so far!

Westozzy
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Mandurah
Style: Freeride, wave
Gear: Rebel, Vegas 2012
Brand Affiliation: None
Has thanked: 0

Postby Westozzy » Wed Mar 13, 2013 1:15 pm

235lbs what's that in kg? 100kg? Looked it up 106kg, what's ya small board?

Tone
Very Frequent Poster

Postby Tone » Wed Mar 13, 2013 2:36 pm

my small board is a SU2 135/41.5

Westozzy
Very Frequent Poster

Postby Westozzy » Thu Mar 14, 2013 1:38 am

Wow that low end is for a big fella on a 10. 9 and 11 are being swapped for a 10 today. Let you know how I go...but alas no wind on the radar for a while. In the autumn doldrums down here in the land downunder.

Tone
Very Frequent Poster

Postby Tone » Thu Mar 14, 2013 9:32 am

I'm sure you are gonna love it!

I haven't been so impressed with a kite for years!

Great range and amazing lift and hangtime.

Enjoy bud!

Westozzy
Very Frequent Poster

Postby Westozzy » Thu Mar 14, 2013 1:27 pm

Well I have been on the 11 and 9m edge all summer so I do know what to expect. The 11m gave great hang time and yet at times for my free riding in the ocean felt a little slow to turn at times...but nothing a change in technique can't fix. Still can loop it extra so wasn't to bad. The 9m was super fun, fast enough to turn but you didn't get that hang time from more canopy the 11m gives you. It seemed to lose some of its 'edgeness' you get in the 11m and above. Said early on that a 10m would be the ideal free ride size in the ocean so when it came out I just had to get one.

But I want to add to the point you made. I agree a kite has not impressed me this much for years either. It truly is a magnificent wing.

Let you know how I go, but alas we are in the autumn doldrums here. Come on winter!!!!

Don Lester
Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Sherman Is.
Favorite Beaches: Sherman Is. Ca.
Los Barriles, Mx
Style: All
Gear: TT, Surf, Foil

Postby Don Lester » Thu Mar 14, 2013 5:37 pm

I agree that the Edge has great hangtime and up wind ability, but compared to the 2013 Rebel the jump heights are very close, not much difference...........

The Rebel, however has much quicker and tighter turning making it substantially better for freestyle and wave riding. It's a matter of trade-offs and what's most important to you...............

Lastly, the Edge is a bear to relaunch..........

Michelks
Medium Poster
Local Beach: Sao Sebastiao- Brazil
Favorite Beaches: tahiti, buzios
Style: freerider
Gear: crossbow 16, vegas 14,switchblade 12, crossbow 10
Been thanked: 0

Postby Michelks » Thu Mar 14, 2013 7:37 pm

Don Lester wrote:I agree that the Edge has great hangtime and up wind ability, but compared to the 2013 Rebel the jump heights are very close, not much difference...........

The Rebel, however has much quicker and tighter turning making it substantially better for freestyle and wave riding. It's a matter of trade-offs and what's most important to you...............

So relief someone is able to compare both kites. I have rebel 13 and 14, the 14 seems like a 15 in terms of heights and hangtime (much longer struts compared to 13).

Tone
Very Frequent Poster

Postby Tone » Fri Mar 15, 2013 9:14 am

Don Lester wrote:I agree that the Edge has great hangtime and up wind ability, but compared to the 2013 Rebel the jump heights are very close, not much difference...........

regarding relaunch, I haven't had any issue at all with the relaunch.

Not had the 15 in the water yet but the 10 really does come up very easy!

Westozzy
Very Frequent Poster

Postby Westozzy » Sat Mar 16, 2013 12:27 am

Rode rebels before edges the same for my brother. Very different kites. Neither kite is good for freestyle. They are good for free ride, their is a difference. The edge in my mind believe it or not loops easier. Neither is that good in serious waves, although the rebel is probably better on a SB as it doesn't develop as much apparent wind. On a TT mutant prefer the edge believe it or not as well. Relaunch is just fine on an edge and the lack of fifth line even for an experienced rider like myself is a blessing. Both my bro and I have been in the shit with a 5 line wrap. They are both higher aspect kites though so you learn how to relaunch these kites.

But yeh would agree on one thing if I was going to buy a freeride kite it would be one of these two. But the edge has the ozone feel and the rebel the north feel and I prefer the former. I also feel the hang time of the edge and the ability to land smoothly far greater on the edge.

Loved the rebel, but took only a couple of hours on the edge for both of us to swap kites and have never looked back since.

Return to “Kitesurfing”