Contact   Imprint   Advertising   Guidelines

Large kite with big wind range

Forum for kitesurfers
Peter_Frank
Very Frequent Poster
Brand Affiliation: None

Re: Large kite with big wind range

Postby Peter_Frank » Sun Mar 17, 2013 1:40 am

KYLakeKiter wrote:I agree with Shred. I just recently bought an Infinity V2 and flew it for a full day last Saturday. Started in the morning with 7 to 8kts and flew it all day. The winds picked up to 15 with gusts to 18/20kts. At the top end of the range, it was a handfull, but it was manageable on my small board (a Shinn Luigi 130 and I am 180 lbs). I stayed upwind with no problems. I think that if you can fly your 10m at just above 15kts, the V2 will fill low end gap just fine.

New, the kite is $1475. Dimitri will mail you a Demo and let you keep it for about 10 days with a credit card deposit of $999 (He credits your card back when he gets the kite back). He pays shipping to you and you pay shipping back. He is really low pressure about it and won't give you a hard time if you decide not to buy the kite. This is pretty much the easiest way I have seen to demo a kite on your own schedule.

Some other possibilities might be the Fat Lady, or the Air Rush Lithium One. A Naish Fly might work good too if you want a smaller kite with some good low end. I personally have not flow these kites, but there are plenty of good reviews for all of these on the forum, and from the shops I have visited. Good luck, and let us know what you find.
This does not seem right at all ? :wink:

As going on a 130cm TT in 7knots when 180 lbs (82 kg) is quite impossible IMO, no matter what size of kite we are talking about :o

8) Peter

PS: What size are your V2 in m2 ?

Kamikuza
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Sabae Beach
Favorite Beaches: Ol' Stinky
Gear: This, that, the other

Postby Kamikuza » Sun Mar 17, 2013 1:45 am

Ocean Rodeo Flite 17.5 - and it'd damned good fun!

KYLakeKiter
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2010
Local Beach: Kentucky Lake (Tennessee) Standing Rock Cove and Big Sandy
Favorite Beaches: Who needs a beach? Just give me some open water.
Style: LeeRoyyyyyy Jenkinnnnnnns!
Gear: All kites are cool !
Boards are like music. Everyone likes something different.

Postby KYLakeKiter » Sun Mar 17, 2013 3:16 am

Peter_Frank wrote:
KYLakeKiter wrote:I agree with Shred. I just recently bought an Infinity V2 and flew it for a full day last Saturday. Started in the morning with 7 to 8kts and flew it all day. The winds picked up to 15 with gusts to 18/20kts. At the top end of the range, it was a handfull, but it was manageable on my small board (a Shinn Luigi 130 and I am 180 lbs). I stayed upwind with no problems. I think that if you can fly your 10m at just above 15kts, the V2 will fill low end gap just fine.

New, the kite is $1475. Dimitri will mail you a Demo and let you keep it for about 10 days with a credit card deposit of $999 (He credits your card back when he gets the kite back). He pays shipping to you and you pay shipping back. He is really low pressure about it and won't give you a hard time if you decide not to buy the kite. This is pretty much the easiest way I have seen to demo a kite on your own schedule.

Some other possibilities might be the Fat Lady, or the Air Rush Lithium One. A Naish Fly might work good too if you want a smaller kite with some good low end. I personally have not flow these kites, but there are plenty of good reviews for all of these on the forum, and from the shops I have visited. Good luck, and let us know what you find.
This does not seem right at all ? :wink:

As going on a 130cm TT in 7knots when 180 lbs (82 kg) is quite impossible IMO, no matter what size of kite we are talking about :o

8) Peter

PS: What size are your V2 in m2 ?
Absolutely not right. :lol: There is no way I could ride the Luigi at 7kts. When the wind was low, I started out on my surfboard. (I probably should have mentioned that) I didn't ride the small board until winds started to approach 15kts.

Epic does not say what size the kite is, but I have set it right up against a 16 and it is a little bigger, so my assumption is 17m2.

PVITfrumBYRAM
Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Hatteras Island, NC
Style: Instruction
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Postby PVITfrumBYRAM » Sun Mar 17, 2013 3:23 am

Windfreak87 wrote: At 102kg. On my 161 litewave wing I am staying up wind at 14knots with my 13 and hold it to 22knot comfortably with my 146 slingshot misfit. I was thinking about picking up lightwind kite with good range like the fat lady, zephyr, core, best ts. Basically Im looking for kite where i can have a better lowend to use my smaller board but can hold it until 20knots comfortably then I change down to 10m.
I can only say I've flown the Core out of the 4 you are considering due to geographic location and demo possibilities. I've flown other big kites not on your list and most of the time with the litewave wing 161: the Infinity V1 (15.5-16.5 meters I think), RRD Obession 15m, 2013 Crossbow 16m, 2012 Switchblade, 14m, Ocean Rodeo flight 17.5. My fav out of all of those so far was the Core. I took the Core 19 out on a supa light day on the wing and had great results. I took the 17 out a few days later, First and only one out on the water for a while. It had the turning characteristics of the infinity V1 and Obsession when it comes to the lower wind speeds. The Infinity turns a fair amount faster once you start getting up into the teens.

What I liked best about the Core was it's adaptive nature. I could trim the kite a little in the light wind to bring it more upwind and make it easier to kite upwind on the Wing. It was also very easy to hold down once it started blowing 18 knots. I'm about 64 kgs, obviously on a smaller board, 131 at 18knots. I had the kite trimmed about halfway, while other kiters (all having several kilograms on me) where on 13's, 12s, and 10.5s. It was nice and floaty for boosts and if you are considering buying the bar too, it unswivels itself after many loops. Just pull in and the front lines straighten out. I don't like the keeper tube though.

The Flight is pretty decent, its a bit more sluggish, very slow when trying to send the kite for a jump. I wouldn't want to be on it past 14 knots. It has a tons of settings though on the bar and bridles so that could be why. It does have amazing relaunch, in winds it won't fly in, it can still relaunch just from pulling a steering line. No c-kite relaunch skills needed.

I'm sure any kite in the 17meter range is going to give you a good low end especially on your wing. I don't think all will be easily manageable in 20 knots. I've seen big guys on Zephyrs on 150-160cm boards doing just fine in that 8-12 knot range so I know those are decent without having flown them.

I hope this info can be of use. I'm in the market for a big kite myself so I'm interested to hear what others recommend.

PVITfrumBYRAM
Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Hatteras Island, NC
Style: Instruction

Postby PVITfrumBYRAM » Sun Mar 17, 2013 3:25 am

[/quote]

Absolutely not right. :lol: There is no way I could ride the Luigi at 7kts. When the wind was low, I started out on my surfboard. (I probably should have mentioned that) I didn't ride the small board until winds started to approach 15kts.

Epic does not say what size the kite is, but I have set it right up against a 16 and it is a little bigger, so my assumption is 17m2.[/quote]

Yeah 17meters +/- .5 meters would be my guess. That center strut is like 8 feet tall!

JS
Very Frequent Poster

Postby JS » Sun Mar 17, 2013 4:14 am

The variation in perception of wind speed (and even more so wind strength) tends to be considerably greater between specific observers and specific conditions than the variation in capabilities between different kite brands and models (of similar size).

For example, the inherent 'strength' and 'energy' of 11 knot wind is 247% that of 7 knot wind. In my life of competitive sailing, teaching, coaching, windsurfing and kiteboarding, I've seen many more people confidently misjudge such variations than get them right... which may explain the extraordinary divergence of opinions on kite performance.

Cheers,
James

Peter_Frank
Very Frequent Poster

Postby Peter_Frank » Sun Mar 17, 2013 8:39 am

So true :thumb:

8) Peter

naishdude
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Holland
Spain
Danemark
France
Favorite Beaches: everywhere at the seaside, where it is allowed to kite
Style: cruising& wave
Gear: Airush Sector 54 V5, Cypher5'8 active, compact 5'6, Compact5'5 active, Limit Waves custom 5'6
Ozone reo V5 12 9 7 5
Brand Affiliation: none

Postby naishdude » Sun Mar 17, 2013 4:49 pm

hi Windfreak,

no need to sell your 13m! have a look at Switchkite NItro V2 16m @ 788€
or a Switchkite Element 15m @ 715€
a new bar will ( if you need one) will cost you 190€
these kites have the same quality and refined finish of the big brands, only no dealers you buy direct.
If you get a chance test one, all the PR/Test riders are on their website.
you can keep your beloved 13m and just add for the price of another second hand big kite a total new one...you cannot find a better deal!
www.Switchkites.com
Nitro 16m: http://switchkites.com/warehouse_euro/p ... ucts_id=39
Element 15m: http://switchkites.com/warehouse_euro/p ... ucts_id=38

good luck with your choise!
dude 8)

danglemonkey
Rare Poster
Local Beach: Cornwall, UK
Style: Freestyle, Wave
Gear: Ocean Rodeo, Shinn

Postby danglemonkey » Sun Mar 17, 2013 8:06 pm

I had a 17 taboo (2011). It has a big range. 75kg on a small 132 tt i could go from around 12/14knts... Onshore winds and waves sucking more power out too. I reckon it'd be good from 10knts with a bigger board and still water. The top end though was really good... 22knts and i could comfortably jump to my 10. It was never much fun mind. I sold it and got a skim board. Much more fun and cheaper. Flown a OR flite 17.5 too. Better bottom end... Faster flying and more fun... But much less range and top end (i found).

Windfreak87
Rare Poster
Local Beach: Lake Michigan coast line, Michigan, United states
averaging 10 to 35 knots depending on location and wind direction
Style: Freeride for now
Gear: 2011 cabrinha crossbow 13m & 10m
161 lightwave wing
146 slingshot misfit

Postby Windfreak87 » Sun Mar 17, 2013 9:35 pm

danglemonkey wrote:I had a 17 taboo (2011). It has a big range. 75kg on a small 132 tt i could go from around 12/14knts... Onshore winds and waves sucking more power out too. I reckon it'd be good from 10knts with a bigger board and still water. The top end though was really good... 22knts and i could comfortably jump to my 10. It was never much fun mind. I sold it and got a skim board. Much more fun and cheaper. Flown a OR flite 17.5 too. Better bottom end... Faster flying and more fun... But much less range and top end (i found).
The best ts v2 the replacement for the taboo, I heard alot of good things in terms of range, turning and grunt plan on trying a demo this summer.

The prices on switch kites are definitely appealing never seen them at the local spots though, but would be willing to give one a go, going to see if I find a team rider. I don't mind going threw a dealer and supporting a local business.

Return to “Kitesurfing”