Medium Poster
Kiting since: 2013
Local Beach: casalava@puntapequeña.
Favorite Beaches: Uncrowded ones
Style: Strapless surf
Gear: Duotone Neo, Firewire, Appletree

Re: FireWire vanguard ?

Postby Jwoo » Tue Apr 12, 2016 2:00 pm

Vanguard nose protection. I have a kite buddy that just took a hit in the face after botching a pretty radical off the lip. Lots of stitches, just missed his eye. Got me thinking about putting some sort of nose protection on the VG. Anyone try any tail guards or something similar on the nose of this board?

Da Yoda
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2005
Style: Strapless Freestyle, Wave, Freeride
Gear: Handmade Surfboards

Postby Da Yoda » Tue Apr 12, 2016 7:20 pm

Jwoo wrote:Anyone try any tail guards or something similar on the nose of this board?
I've never tried these, but I have a SurfCo Tail Guard that looks like it would work well. It's long and has joints to help it bend around the sharp corners.
http://www.surfcohawaii.com/Tail-Guards-s/141.htm

BudhaNl
Frequent Poster
Local Beach: WaZ Noordpier
IJmuiden
Gear: Naish Slash 6, Pivot 7-9
Airush Ultra 12
North Jaime 136
DSD Stallion 5'2
Brand Affiliation: None

Postby BudhaNl » Wed Apr 13, 2016 3:23 pm

I have a Futures YU quad set on my Vanguard. A little older, all black, maybe hex? I would like to try a thruster setup in a cost-conscious way, by adding a centre fin and removing the rears. Can anyone recommend a complimentary small fin?

( I guess the YU thruster version might do but is there anywhere in EU where you can buy those as a single? )

NorCalNomad
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: San Francisco
Gear: Why should it matter?
Has thanked: 0

Postby NorCalNomad » Wed Apr 13, 2016 9:37 pm

Depends on how you want to have it feel. https://futuresfins.com/en-us/fin-school/foil

Da Yoda
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2005
Style: Strapless Freestyle, Wave, Freeride
Gear: Handmade Surfboards

Postby Da Yoda » Wed Apr 13, 2016 10:27 pm

If you can't find a single fin, you may try this instead. I'm not sure if they're available in the EU, but Futures has a line of price-conscious fins called Thermotech. They make the AM1 and AM2 that are dimensionally similar to the YU fin. For the Vanguard, the AM1 may be ideal since you can get away with a smaller fin size with these boards. In the US, a complete thruster set can be found for around $40.
FWIW, I did find that the Vanguard rides faster with Vector (V2) side fins. The Flat Foil feels more "draggy" in my experience. If you think you want to try a V2 fin without breaking the bank, Futures also offers the Thermotech EAV2 thruster set for the same price and is not too far off dimensionally from the YU fin.

mede
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2001
Weight: 72 kg dry
Local Beach: Lake Geneva
Favorite Beaches: Sri Lanka West Coast, Marsa Alam, Cape Verde, Tarifa, Beauduc, Corpus Christi, Ceara
Style: Foil, Strapless surf, Big Air
Gear: Kite:> Tomo Vader 5.1 HE & KS MariMacho board,
Gong YpraS Foils,
Pansh Kestrel, Kauper Falcon, Blade Trigger kites.
Wing:> Amos Shapes Sultan Custom board,
Gong YpraS + Ypra Surf Foils,
Gong UPE Aramid Droid & Neutra Wings
Brand Affiliation: none

Postby mede » Sat Apr 16, 2016 10:33 am

Jwoo wrote:Vanguard nose protection. I have a kite buddy that just took a hit in the face after botching a pretty radical off the lip. Lots of stitches, just missed his eye. Got me thinking about putting some sort of nose protection on the VG. Anyone try any tail guards or something similar on the nose of this board?
the nose of the board is less the issue in my view than the fins...
I'm kiting on a spot with a pretty powerful, steep beach break, 5-8ft typically during swell season...
When I push things, the board hits me about 2 or 3 times per session. That's why I always wear one of these totally uncool helmets :wink:

foilholio
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Ventura Beach
Favorite Beaches: Tarifa
Style: Airstyle
Gear: Foils
Brand Affiliation: None

Postby foilholio » Sat Apr 16, 2016 10:53 am

You could wear a helmet but you need to practice turning your face away. I just use my arms to guard myself it's almost become a reflex. I have had some nasty hits on the head with scars and now I have had plenty and worse on the arms. Getting out of the way is an option if you have the time, in doubt you need to protect your head. Getting knocked out is not going to end well. As to the vanguard those shape edges on the front are really not necessary.

TommyDuotone
Very Frequent Poster
Favorite Beaches: IB, Rauls, 38's, Gavs
Style: surf
Gear: North, Ocean Rodeo, Firewire

Postby TommyDuotone » Sat Apr 16, 2016 2:57 pm

You can buy 2 quad trailer fins only. Scroll down on this link. And, as NorCal already pointed out, match the ride number to what kind of feel you are looking for.
https://futuresfins.com/en-us/ride-number/feel

TommyDuotone
Very Frequent Poster
Favorite Beaches: IB, Rauls, 38's, Gavs
Style: surf
Gear: North, Ocean Rodeo, Firewire

Postby TommyDuotone » Sat Apr 16, 2016 2:59 pm

mede
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2001
Weight: 72 kg dry
Local Beach: Lake Geneva
Favorite Beaches: Sri Lanka West Coast, Marsa Alam, Cape Verde, Tarifa, Beauduc, Corpus Christi, Ceara
Style: Foil, Strapless surf, Big Air
Gear: Kite:> Tomo Vader 5.1 HE & KS MariMacho board,
Gong YpraS Foils,
Pansh Kestrel, Kauper Falcon, Blade Trigger kites.
Wing:> Amos Shapes Sultan Custom board,
Gong YpraS + Ypra Surf Foils,
Gong UPE Aramid Droid & Neutra Wings
Brand Affiliation: none

Postby mede » Sun Apr 17, 2016 9:00 am

foilholio wrote:You could wear a helmet but you need to practice turning your face away. I just use my arms to guard myself it's almost become a reflex. I have had some nasty hits on the head with scars and now I have had plenty and worse on the arms. Getting out of the way is an option if you have the time, in doubt you need to protect your head. Getting knocked out is not going to end well. As to the vanguard those shape edges on the front are really not necessary.
You have a good point here.
When I wipe out, I turn the the head away, and bring up one arm/ellbow for protection. The best is to train this a couple of times away from the impact zone to make it a reflex. The second element you need to train to do at the same time is to grab the bar with the other hand in the center, and push the bar out (cause when you get washed, it will minimize the risk of lines tangling around the hook and unwanted steering impulses.)

Return to “Kitesurfing”