skideeppow
Medium Poster
Local Beach: None, landlocked CO
Favorite Beaches: Maui, Turqs, Hood River for Aug
Gear: Drifters, 2018 7, 9, Airusdh Ultra 12 2019
Brand Affiliation: None

Re: FireWire vanguard ?

Postby skideeppow » Tue Jun 28, 2016 10:34 pm

I have a Vader, 5'2" in kiteboard construction. I lvoe it. I am 5'11" 210, love how short the board is yet it floats me and is super snappy. Was just in Maui with it, had ok swell a couple days.

small wave kiter
Rare Poster
Local Beach: -Fehmarn
- St.Peter-Ording
Favorite Beaches: - Wissant
- Hvide Sande
- Hanstholm
Style: starpless waveriding
Gear: Liquid Force Solo, Cabrinha Drifter, Cabrinha Subwoofer 5.8 and F-One Mitu Pro 5.10
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Postby small wave kiter » Sun Oct 09, 2016 12:32 pm

Hey guys,

The new Evo kitesurfboard is Now available in Germany.
Don't hesitate to ask dor pricing and sizes.
info@united-ocean-sports.de

www.united-ocean-sports.de

Alysum
Frequent Poster
Gear: a kite

Postby Alysum » Mon Oct 10, 2016 6:50 pm

I have ordered a Vader 5"1 (kitesurf construction) for my 80Kgs. What fins (thruster) would one recommend for the most stability so I can nail my gybes 100% (in choppy waters to small waves). I'm not fussed about sharp turns at this stage as this is my first directional after practicing on an old surfboard. Cheers !

Bushflyr
Very Frequent Poster
Gear: OR Razor 7m
Caution Spitfire 9m, 10m
Firewire Vanguard 5' 4"
Naish Global 5' 10"
Shinn Monk

Postby Bushflyr » Mon Oct 10, 2016 8:47 pm

I'm running THESE in the G5 size on my Vanguard and really like them. I've tried quadd in multiple sizes and thrusters in multiple sizes and am liking these best so far. And they're cheap. I think they'd be a good fit on your VD too.

knotwindy
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: baja, gorge
Style: erratic to none
Gear: yes, I use gear

Postby knotwindy » Tue Oct 11, 2016 12:14 am

I am running Alfa F4, 4.37 in thruster setup and really fun and wippy if you like that feel. 75Kilos and riding 6 & 8 m kites.
What size are you?

NorCalNomad
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: San Francisco
Gear: Why should it matter?

Postby NorCalNomad » Tue Oct 11, 2016 12:28 am

Bushflyr wrote:I'm running THESE in the G5 size on my Vanguard and really like them. I've tried quadd in multiple sizes and thrusters in multiple sizes and am liking these best so far. And they're cheap. I think they'd be a good fit on your VD too.
HAHAHAH

WOW what a crap knock off on details. Putting the Channel Island logo on the JC1 Template Blackstick knockoff fin

That being said, I do have the legit version of that fin and do love it in my vanguard, both surfing and kiting.
Last edited by NorCalNomad on Tue Oct 11, 2016 12:33 am, edited 1 time in total.

NorCalNomad
Very Frequent Poster

Postby NorCalNomad » Tue Oct 11, 2016 12:29 am

Alysum wrote: would one recommend for the most stability so I can nail my gybes 100% (in choppy waters to small waves).
Training on a loose skateboard, fins have almost nothing to deal with "nailing your gybes"

Da Yoda
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2005
Style: Strapless Freestyle, Wave, Freeride
Gear: Handmade Surfboards

Postby Da Yoda » Tue Oct 11, 2016 1:11 am

Alysum wrote:What fins (thruster) would one recommend for the most stability so I can nail my gybes 100% (in choppy waters to small waves).
NorCalNomad wrote:Training on a loose skateboard, fins have almost nothing to deal with "nailing your gybes"
+1
However here's something to consider about fin shape that will lend to more stability...

Quoted from Futures: "The deeper the fin is the more leverage the fin will have when rolling onto the rail. This helps with stability and overall hold, just like increasing the area."

Gybes are not performed when on the rail, but the added depth and surface area of a bigger fin will still have it's benefits in chop, so you will get some added stability even when the board is riding flat. Since you're 80kg, I'd look at the AM2 or JohnJohn L fins since they're stiffer in flex which will also lend to some added stability. You will notice increased drag and less responsiveness when carving due to the larger fin size, but that's the tradeoff.

The other thing I've noticed is I truly feel the Tomo boards ride better and even faster with inside foiled side fins (V2). The problem is finding stiff enough fins with that design. Futures' Roberts L is the stiffest of the large foiled fins, so you may want to check them out as well. It's really comes down to personal preference.

Consider trying the Finatic program to find what you like...
https://finatic.com

Bushflyr
Very Frequent Poster
Gear: OR Razor 7m
Caution Spitfire 9m, 10m
Firewire Vanguard 5' 4"
Naish Global 5' 10"
Shinn Monk

Postby Bushflyr » Tue Oct 11, 2016 2:19 am

NorCalNomad wrote: HAHAHAH

WOW what a crap knock off on details. Putting the Channel Island logo on the JC1 Template Blackstick knockoff fin

That being said, I do have the legit version of that fin and do love it in my vanguard, both surfing and kiting.
Yeah, totally, but I bought 5 completely different sets of fins for the price of 1 "real" set. :D That gives me the opportunity to try a bunch of different templates for cheap. Maybe the "real deal" fins make a noticeable difference in surfing, but much less so in kiting. And, really, it's not like fins are some super black magic, even the "real" ones are made in China. Likely in the same factory. They probably had leftover decals and stuck them on a set of overrun Blackstix. :lol: But whatever, they work and I don't cry when I knock them off on coral heads. :oops:

NorCalNomad
Very Frequent Poster

Postby NorCalNomad » Tue Oct 11, 2016 3:59 am

Da Yoda wrote: However here's something to consider about fin shape that will lend to more stability...

Quoted from Futures: "The deeper the fin is the more leverage the fin will have when rolling onto the rail. This helps with stability and overall hold, just like increasing the area."

Gybes are not performed when on the rail, but the added depth and surface area of a bigger fin will still have it's benefits in chop, so you will get some added stability even when the board is riding flat. Since you're 80kg, I'd look at the AM2 or JohnJohn L fins since they're stiffer in flex which will also lend to some added stability. You will notice increased drag and less responsiveness when carving due to the larger fin size, but that's the tradeoff.

The other thing I've noticed is I truly feel the Tomo boards ride better and even faster with inside foiled side fins (V2). The problem is finding stiff enough fins with that design. Futures' Roberts L is the stiffest of the large foiled fins, so you may want to check them out as well. It's really comes down to personal preference.

Consider trying the Finatic program to find what you like...
https://finatic.com
Nah you're not going to be going fast enough in a jibe, especially as a beginner, for the fin to make that much difference. That's like saying that fin selection would make a difference in paddling into a wave. Also you wouldn't notice that flex in a jibe as well.

Now a carve.. that's different.

But yeah tomo boards kick ass with inside foil fins, those boards are all about creating speed. I'm running Stretch Quads and Blackstick 2.0s in my boards for kiting and surfing

+1 for finatic

Return to “Kitesurfing”