Contact   Imprint   Advertising   Guidelines

The Surf kite from Epic Kites

Forum for kitesurfers
Dimitri M
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: I travel all over the world.
Favorite Beaches: So many to list....
Style: MY OWN STYLE :-)
Gear: SCREAMER 7/9/12/14 for Free Style. Not to forget the SCREAMER 10 LTD for my one go kite.
SURF 8 & 12 for the waves. RENEGADE 6.5 and 9 for all around kiting. And some times I use my son's JUNIOR PRO 4 when it blows 45+ for the waves.
Just try the EPICKITES and you will see for yourself.
Brand Affiliation: Owner of EPIC KITES
Has thanked: 0

Re: The Surf kite from Epic Kites

Postby Dimitri M » Sat Apr 27, 2013 12:49 am

Yes NAISH has something similar but they are use some type of mesh for that.

KYLakeKiter
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2010
Local Beach: Kentucky Lake (Tennessee) Standing Rock Cove and Big Sandy
Favorite Beaches: Who needs a beach? Just give me some open water.
Style: LeeRoyyyyyy Jenkinnnnnnns!
Gear: All kites are cool !
Boards are like music. Everyone likes something different.
Brand Affiliation: None

Postby KYLakeKiter » Sat Apr 27, 2013 1:52 am

Are you talking about holes in the canopy just behind the leading edge to let water out when the kite gets swamped? If so, then there have been times when I wished I had something like that to get relaunched easier. If it doesn't affect how the kite flies, then why not. :thumb:

Geronimo79
Very Frequent Poster
Style: Freeride
Gear: Epic Kites and Arise and Hyperflex
Brand Affiliation: Epic Kites and Arise
Been thanked: 0

Postby Geronimo79 » Sat Apr 27, 2013 2:09 am

Seems to me that is something worth checking into.

Maybe its usefull maybe its not. If it really helps with relaunching faster in the surf. What does it do with the kite's flying characteristics. I think its worth checking out.
I could imagine its also easier to get water on the inside of the kite making it heavier to launch

Rorke
Frequent Poster

Postby Rorke » Sat Apr 27, 2013 6:26 pm

I will make the same recommendation as I did years ago for the Eclipse Kima, which was one heck of a sweet wave kite (so long as you made this modification).

Make the throw on the bar excessively long.

Yes. This is dangerous for beginners because it allows for kite inversion.
ie. If your kite is too high, and the rider depowers too much, the leading edge can dip, thus the topside of the kite becomes the high pressure side. Bam! Inversion.
Limiting the throw reduces inversion immensely.

However, an experienced kiter can use this "excessive throw" to recover from a backstall.
I love the extended backstall. The extended backstall in the pocket of a sweet wave in side/side-on is the everything. I loved to take my old Kima dead downwind of me, 10' (3m) off the water. Then I would mega-ease the bar, and that kite would powerlessly and instantly begin flying again. Man, have I caught some pure, long rides with that rig!

Barely anybody knew about this feature of the Kima because they usually flew it on the Eclipse bar. That bar had very short throw, which worked for the Thruster, but limited the Kima. Years ago, I posted a quick mod using an LF bar upgrade kite. Several people applied the fix and got more enjoyment out of their Kimas.

Here is another idea for a surf kite "system".
Get rid of the hook and chicken loop system. My board has been abused by the hook so much that I expect legal authorities to eventually remove it from my custody for its own safety.

Regarding the one pump system, as a snowkiter who like wave kites, I vote to keep it.

I have another idea, but it is patentable. :thumb:

Séb
Frequent Poster
Gear: Flysurfer, Core, Shinn, Moses, Horue

Postby Séb » Sat Apr 27, 2013 7:54 pm

Rorke,

On the new Epic bar, the throw is about 6" longer than the actual bar so you will find your solution there.

Rorke
Frequent Poster

Postby Rorke » Sat Apr 27, 2013 8:40 pm

Séb wrote:Rorke,

On the new Epic bar, the throw is about 6" longer than the actual bar so you will find your solution there.
The length that I am talking about is huge. I have only seen it on the 2010 (and maybe newer) Liquid Force set up.

Think about the profile of a depowered kite at the zenith.
Now imagine how long your back lines would have to be to achieve that same profile when the kite is positioned dead downwind of you.

We are talking about a tremendous differential between front/back line lengths.
So tremendous, that the kite is fairly un-flyable with the bar out this much. The only time I use this throw is for recovery.

One of the guys (who is a much better kiter than I am) asked me how I get the kite to "loiter" in the pocket. Well, there you go.

Damn, kiting gets me all pumped up!

Dimitri M
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: I travel all over the world.
Favorite Beaches: So many to list....
Style: MY OWN STYLE :-)
Gear: SCREAMER 7/9/12/14 for Free Style. Not to forget the SCREAMER 10 LTD for my one go kite.
SURF 8 & 12 for the waves. RENEGADE 6.5 and 9 for all around kiting. And some times I use my son's JUNIOR PRO 4 when it blows 45+ for the waves.
Just try the EPICKITES and you will see for yourself.
Brand Affiliation: Owner of EPIC KITES

Postby Dimitri M » Sat Apr 27, 2013 8:56 pm

Thank you for your input Mr.Rorke. The new bar that we have coming out very soon will have a very long depower through, way more then the (2011) Bars. But I can't go longer then that because beginner kiters will have a hard time reaching the bar if they let the bar go, unless if they use the stopper ball.
Any way, Momi and I are working on having the kite doing all the depower just by pushing the bar with out having to go all the way up. We are also testing it with NO BRIDLES like what we have now on the JUDGE kites.

Hasse
Medium Poster
Kiting since: 2000
Local Beach: Denmark
Favorite Beaches: Agger, Hanstholm
Style: Wave and foil. Little freestyle.
Gear: Gin kites, Hyde Kites, Kauper.

Postby Hasse » Sat Apr 27, 2013 9:17 pm

Dimitri M wrote: We are also testing it with NO BRIDLES like what we have now on the JUDGE kites.
Yes!!!!!

Rorke
Frequent Poster

Postby Rorke » Sat Apr 27, 2013 10:50 pm

Dimitri M wrote:Thank you for your input Mr.Rorke. The new bar that we have coming out very soon will have a very long depower through, way more then the (2011) Bars.
Dimitri, either you remember that the last Epic kite I tested was in 2011 or you looked up my posts. I don't know which would be more impressive, memory or diligence. Of course, you could have just thrown that out there and gotten lucky. :thumb:
Dimitri M wrote:Thank you for your input Mr.Rorke. But I can't go longer then that because beginner kiters will have a hard time reaching the bar if they let the bar go, unless if they use the stopper ball.
Beginners can use the stopper. Experienced riders could pull the lines in below the bar with one hand, and reach the bar with the other.

But you know what you're doing. Carry on. :)

windsuks
Very Frequent Poster
Style: surf/old school
Gear: Airush/North/Ozone/RRD

Postby windsuks » Sat Apr 27, 2013 11:33 pm

Dimitri M wrote:Thank you for your input Mr.Rorke We are also testing it with NO BRIDLES like what we have now on the JUDGE kites.

:thumb:

Return to “Kitesurfing”