Contact   Imprint   Advertising   Guidelines

Kiteboard Repair Help

Forum for kitesurfers
mmeyers12
Medium Poster
Local Beach: I wish I had a local beach....
Style: Freeride, Waves, Hydrofoil
Gear: 10m Fone Diablo
8m Orbit
7m GTS
Brand Affiliation: None
Been thanked: 0

Kiteboard Repair Help

Postby mmeyers12 » Thu Apr 25, 2013 11:30 am

After losing my kiteboard, it was slammed into a rock by a wave and this was the result....

I was wondering what would be the best method to fix it properly. Right now I am thinking some contact cement and then wrapping in tape for a few days to be sure the glue develops a strong bond. Any better suggestions on repairing the board or things to consider so that I repair it correctly?

Thanks in advance.

broken kiteboard 1.jpg
broken kiteboard 1.jpg (34.66 KiB) Viewed 4376 times
broken kiteboard 2.jpg
broken kiteboard 2.jpg (33.77 KiB) Viewed 4376 times

bisonmisfit
Rare Poster
Has thanked: 0

Re: Kiteboard Repair Help

Postby bisonmisfit » Thu Apr 25, 2013 2:03 pm

Mr. mmeyers12, - looking at the pictures it appears you have fibreglass delamination from it's meeting with the rocks, - If so contact cement isn't going to hold that. I would use some epoxy glue (liberally but not excessively), spread it between the separation and then clamp it together with some c - clamps sandwiched between two pieces of wood spreading the load. You may want to put some kind of plastic sheeting between the board and the wood so the excess glue doesn't stick it to each other. Remove the excess, allow to harden then sand and reuse.

chipmunk
Frequent Poster

Postby chipmunk » Thu Apr 25, 2013 2:37 pm

yep you will need this http://www.ecfibreglasssupplies.co.uk/p ... k-101.aspx
mix's epoxy with Microfibres and clamp it down with G clamps
did a speedboard will look for the photos
http://www.kiteboarder.co.uk/kitesurfin ... 65&t=36373
WEST SYSTEM mini pack 101
WEST SYSTEM mini pack.

Contents:
250g 105 Epoxy resin
50g 205 Hardener
1 pot 403 Microfibres
3 graduated cups
1 pot 407 low density filler
2 pairs latex gloves
2 mixing sticks
2 syringes
1 instruction leaflet

Price: £14.85 (+ VAT)

BWD
Very Frequent Poster

Postby BWD » Thu Apr 25, 2013 2:58 pm

If you can, it's worth 2 more steps.
1. DIY vacuum clamping.
2. glass tape reinforcement

1. assemble repair. Stick a plastic bag (shopping bag ok if no holes) over it, tape it carefully to board so no air leaks. cut a little hole in bag end, insert shop vac hose. Turn on a shop vac and you have a DIY vac bag clamp. Only needs to run until resin gels, maybe an hour. All the same, make sure the vac doesn't overheat, by very slightly cracking the vac hose off the motor so a little air leaks in at the motor end to cool the motor. This repair is actually small enough you could use a vacu-vin instead if you have one. Vacuum clamping if not too much PITA gives more even pressure and less chance of voids inside.
2. after gluing parts back into place, prepare the surface around the torn deck area by cleaning and sanding, then lay a patch of 50+mm wide 200g+ fiberglass in epoxy over it. This may help the repair hold.
If you actually know or can figure out the layup of the deck the ideal thing would be to grind into the deck around the tear carefully feathering it out 50-75mm, and lay in layers of glass to replicate the layup.
But the board probably has a plastic top sheet and mystery layup underneath, so a patch on top is probably ok -for a while....

chipmunk
Frequent Poster

Postby chipmunk » Thu Apr 25, 2013 5:33 pm

a week later

mmeyers12
Medium Poster
Local Beach: I wish I had a local beach....
Style: Freeride, Waves, Hydrofoil
Gear: 10m Fone Diablo
8m Orbit
7m GTS

Postby mmeyers12 » Fri Apr 26, 2013 1:52 pm

Thank ya'll very much for the information.

Unfortunately I am currently living in China and do not have access to a lot of tools and things so I will not be able to obtain a vacuum. But do you think I could use a kite pump on deflate? Would that work?

Lastly, I need to fix this quickly as I will be competing at the KTA event in a little over a week. I am considering purchasing the following to make the fix. The only thing I am worried about is that it takes only 4 minutes to harden. Will it be strong enough to do a good fix on the board?

http://item.taobao.com/item.htm?spm=a23 ... 4362704249

bisonmisfit
Rare Poster

Postby bisonmisfit » Fri Apr 26, 2013 2:33 pm

For the size of area that needs to be glued and what you're considering using setting up in four minutes doesn't allow enough working time, (you'll need approx 45 mins working time) - you won't have time to spread it effectively let alone get some kind of clamping effect on there without it gelling up and not allowing the two surfaces to come together properly. You can do it quick and create more work when it fails or spend a little time and be good for the life of the board. What others have responded here (vacuum bag is nice but not essential) is the best way to fix the problem, whether you chose other alternatives and possible consequences is up to you - good luck.

TheJoe
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Texas city levee, Galveston, El Jardine and Crystal beach.
Style: Freeride, Foil, Surf, a lil freestyle
Gear: North Reach 7,9,12
Brunotti TT
Moses 633/483
Dwarfcraft Micro

Postby TheJoe » Fri Apr 26, 2013 4:27 pm

If you don't use fiberglass over the tear in your patch/fix you will just end up breaking the tip of the board. Foam has no structural strength with out the fiberglass.

Return to “Kitesurfing”