Contact   Imprint   Advertising   Guidelines

Switchblade 2013 9m test , they screwed up in the QC dept.

Forum for kitesurfers
blacktip
Frequent Poster
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Re: Switchblade 2013 9m test , they screwed up in the QC dep

Postby blacktip » Tue Apr 30, 2013 5:16 pm

SSK wrote:
This is not true. This is a very known issue that the rear lines are too long, it has been discussed plenty of times on this forum since the kite came out.
Thats not really the point.
Yes, there might be tuning issues. It is known and can easily be fixed.
So aside from that, what i'd like to know: Is the 2013 still the same kite as '10 '11 '12? Or is it different?

I know the 2012 comes with two bridle settings. A new freeride setting (standard), which changes the feel and performance of the kite. And offcourse the wakestyle setting which we are all used to from previous models.

I didnt like this new freeride setting and was happy to have the wakestyle option. Somehow I feel the 2013 is more of a continuation on that freeride setting. Can anyone confirm?

jespin4845
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Lake Worth, FL
Jupiter, FL
Style: Freeride/surf
Gear: kites and boards
Brand Affiliation: None

Postby jespin4845 » Tue Apr 30, 2013 6:08 pm

im scared for when my 2012 self destructs, gonna have to keep buying 2012's for power

SSK
Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2010
Local Beach: Salvo NC
Favorite Beaches: OBX
Style: Surf
Gear: Cabrihna Drifters, Surfboards with 3 Fins

Postby SSK » Tue Apr 30, 2013 6:59 pm

So aside from that, what i'd like to know: Is the 2013 still the same kite as '10 '11 '12? Or is it different?
It is pretty different IMO. The changes from 10-12 were very minor in the way the kite felt. You can just look at it and see, especially the wing tips. It still feels like a SB in the general sense, but with significantly less bar pressure, turns way better, relaunches much better (especially the larger sizes), and drifts better. Once tuned (as you say), IMO the power, pop and hang time are about the same. Maybe slightly bit less, but I do not think it is as severe as other people have said. If you are a 100% pure wakestyle you may be less happy, if you are a freeride, surf, or mix it up rider you will probably be much happier. I think it is a way better all around kite especially if you want to take it in the surf.

bnthere
Frequent Poster
Local Beach: South Padre Island and South Texas USA

Hood River and the Columbia River Gorge USA
Favorite Beaches: South Padre Island Texas: year round the best flatwater and fall - winter - spring fun wave riding as well.
Style: all styles of kite riding
Gear: Blade
Mystic
WindAlert
Brand Affiliation: Blade
Mystic
WindAlert
Seadoo
Headzone

Postby bnthere » Wed May 01, 2013 12:58 am

kites and bars are different things.

hausmex
Rare Poster
Local Beach: Puerto vallarta
Favorite Beaches: Bucerias
Style: freestyle
Gear: Cabrinha kite and my shaped boards

Postby hausmex » Wed May 01, 2013 6:18 am

SSK wrote:
It is pretty different IMO. The changes from 10-12 were very minor in the way the kite felt. You can just look at it and see, especially the wing tips. It still feels like a SB in the general sense, but with significantly less bar pressure, turns way better, relaunches much better (especially the larger sizes), and drifts better. Once tuned (as you say), IMO the power, pop and hang time are about the same. Maybe slightly bit less, but I do not think it is as severe as other people have said. If you are a 100% pure wakestyle you may be less happy, if you are a freeride, surf, or mix it up rider you will probably be much happier. I think it is a way better all around kite especially if you want to take it in the surf.

Definitively the 2013 SB generates less power (- 20 % ) compared to the 10' 11' 12' And increase the turning speed ( 15 % )

experienced1
Very Frequent Poster
Gear: Cabrinha
Brand Affiliation: Cabrinha

Postby experienced1 » Wed May 01, 2013 6:34 am

housemex....20% less power...don't think so. you are saying that the 2013 is like a previous 8m SB...NOT

Maybe like a 9.75 or worst case 9.5. if you shorten the outside bridle line by adding a knot. Don't confuse light bar pressure with less power

steve

wallyman
Frequent Poster

Postby wallyman » Wed May 01, 2013 7:24 am

jespin4845 wrote:im scared for when my 2012 self destructs, gonna have to keep buying 2012's for power
Absolutely, power means alot to me, I don't want my 12m to have any less grunt than what it has now. I'II stick with my 2012 and hopefully pick up a good 2nd hand 2012 when the day comes :(

tr3v
Frequent Poster
Gear: BWS, CSA Surfboards, Sirocco

Postby tr3v » Wed May 01, 2013 12:39 pm

experienced1 wrote: Maybe like a 9.75 or worst case 9.5. if you shorten the outside bridle line by adding a knot. Don't confuse light bar pressure with less power

steve
Where do these numbers come from? So... anywhere between 9.5 and 9.75?

shawn13
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Cherry Beach, Toronto
Sherkston, Lake Erie
Wasaga, Lake Huron
Favorite Beaches: In Order:
Mauritius, Soma Bay, Egypt/ Cape Town, SA/ Cayo Guillermo, Cuba/ Sherkston, Canada/ El Gouna, Egypt/ Paje, Zanzibar/ Oliphant, Canada/ Kalpitya/ Dakhla, Morocco/ Boracay, Philippines/ Sri Lanka/ Wasaga Beach, Canada
Style: Freeride/Race
Gear: Cabrinha

Postby shawn13 » Wed May 01, 2013 12:50 pm

Just to be clear, are we tuning these out of the bag to equal line length? Or once we tune to equal length, we have to add an addition knot?

blacktip
Frequent Poster

Postby blacktip » Wed May 01, 2013 4:14 pm

SSK wrote: It is pretty different IMO. The changes from 10-12 were very minor in the way the kite felt. You can just look at it and see, especially the wing tips. It still feels like a SB in the general sense, but with significantly less bar pressure, turns way better, relaunches much better (especially the larger sizes), and drifts better. Once tuned (as you say), IMO the power, pop and hang time are about the same. Maybe slightly bit less, but I do not think it is as severe as other people have said. If you are a 100% pure wakestyle you may be less happy, if you are a freeride, surf, or mix it up rider you will probably be much happier. I think it is a way better all around kite especially if you want to take it in the surf.
Thanks for your explanation and for clearing this up. So now we know Cabrinha didnt screw the kite up. They just changed it more then some people expected. Some like it better, others may not. A little less grunt might help unhooking.

Shawn, I cannot image Cabrinha would drop the equal line lenghts. Its too good of a way to tune a control bar. So equal lines first, then the extra knot.

Return to “Kitesurfing”