Forum for kitesurfers
ronnie
Very Frequent Poster

Re: best SUP for super light wind kiting

Postby ronnie » Fri Feb 23, 2018 11:04 pm

Peter_Frank wrote:
Fri Feb 23, 2018 10:55 pm
Yes Ronnie, but this "proves" nothing at all really :roll:

Yes, of course you can ride a huge SUP foil in loads of wind and waves.

But is it fun and balanced and the right tool ?

IMO it is just like back in the days when Robby Naish did forward loops on a huge/long raceboard.

We were all dazzled that he could do it (and we still are), but apart from that, it made no sense, as the wrong tool for the job.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KP_bIRODVmE

8) PF
I was answering by pointing to some info regarding a particular question.

With the advent of large hydrofoils, it does open up other possibilities for SUP, so you can go to a smaller SUP and still kite in light winds.

But having a compromise that does a lot of things is never as good as the best choice for doing one thing - as you say.

juandesooka
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2011
Local Beach: Sooke, BC, Canada
Style: Canada's Kai Lenny (in my mind)
Gear: Ocean Rodeo wings&kites / GoFoil
Brand Affiliation: Open to offers

Re: best SUP for super light wind kiting

Postby juandesooka » Sat Feb 24, 2018 12:02 am

I despair at how people on this forum tend to over complicate things. Good on ya sflinux for having fun on a sup in light wind. Since this is about having fun, why is that so hard to grasp?

I've played around on the sup in light wind too, goes upwind like crazy when you can't make a big surfboard work -- which was the next best alternative (I bet there's not a barn door board with 100km of here ;-) Just have to be careful to not drop the kite on the outside turn. The sup floats so much, that you immediately drift onto the lines, hopeless.

That Naish 120 is exactly what I want for my sup foil, sup attempts! Too bad it's $2000US.....ouch.

Return to “Kitesurfing”