Foil: Armstrong
Boards:Slingshot DC100
Harnesses: Mystic Stealth
Wetsuits: Mystic
Glasses: Lip
Brand Affiliation: silentsports.com

Re: Kite fatality in Montreal, Canada

Postby bigwave » Mon May 13, 2013 11:27 pm

Very sad to hear about that. My thoughts go out to family and friends.

blu
Medium Poster
Local Beach: Great Lakes
Favorite Beaches: Cayo Coco
Gear: Flysurfer Lift Sabfoil Gong
Brand Affiliation: None

Postby blu » Mon May 13, 2013 11:44 pm

so sad and unfortunate, condolences to his friends and family
we all need to learn from that, all the details about safety release
would be greatly appreciated

DenisLaMenace
Medium Poster
Local Beach: It's a secret spot
Favorite Beaches: Ask flipper231
Style: I'm French Canadian so my style is weird
Gear: Everything that can fit into my Honda Odyssey
Brand Affiliation: Webmaster at http://www.kiteforum.ca
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Postby DenisLaMenace » Tue May 14, 2013 12:01 am

here is some info for that spot: http://goo.gl/maps/IQLqm

- usually for SW winds, the spot is at the CRETE (little bay) at A, so kiting there is mostly on-shore

- however all the times I have been there, when the forecast is SW, it usually turns out to be W and even NW sometimes. yesterday I believe it could have been pretty W

- because the water level is still very high, the access to this bay is closed, so people go kiting to the large public beach at B (closed during summer but accessible during spring).

- the problem with this beach is that SW will be side-shore, and W or NW will become off-shore. There is no service there for rescue boat or whatever.

therefore riding there in yesterday conditions (gusty 20 to 30 knots) was dangerous.

Will post info if we get to know what happened for the reason the CL was not released.

frankm1960
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: -Bayshore, at the end sea st. on saint John's west side, bay of fundy.
-Saints rest beach, at the end of sandy point road, irving nature park, saint john, west side.
Gear: Kites: 12m LF Mig, 9m LF Mig, 5m SS Fuel
Boards: LF proof 151cm, Real Wind 144cm, home made light wind board 160 x 50
Brand Affiliation: None
Been thanked: 0

Postby frankm1960 » Tue May 14, 2013 2:40 am

My condolences. His family must be devastated.

When the details finally emerge we should start another thread on the subject of location, conditions, QR and spiraling kites with respect to what happened here.

longwhitecloud
Very Frequent Poster
Style: Master Baiter. Oracle of windsport.
Gear: 2 sets of Flysurfer VMGs 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14 15, 18. Foilboards ( Masts 75 90 110 125 Wings 880 950 1100 1350 1750) all with Ronix Ones attached. Soon to retire to Wingfoiling.

Postby longwhitecloud » Tue May 14, 2013 7:05 am

It is an issue and I think it is good to discuss whatever. I know of someone else who drowned during a lesson from being stuck in a deathloop.

They can happen at the bar or at the kite.

Companies using pathetic floppy / or no /minimal leader lines that do little to stop lines half hitching on the bar take note.

Companies that use those adjustable bars that leave a place for line to get caught on the end of the bar when at the narrower bar setting take note. They can get caught on suicide leash too..!

Companies that have not tested what happens when their bridles get wrapped around the wing tips.. it is not good enough to say it cant happen because often under inflated kites bend to allow it to happen, or just bend during hard crash... Design bridles so it cannot mechanically/physically happen...!

Companies that have not tested what happens when their pullies get jammed/snap take note

Quick release harnesses have come and gone over the years, problem being activation by accident but I am sure a well designed quick release of entire harness/hok could be a start - not simple tho..

Be aware that kites that have completed x deathloops will not depower - twisted lines stuck, you will not be able to try and use bar to attempt to steer kite to crash either - you cannot steer after 5-6 I reckon -locks up

Something else - think about attaching your leash /suicide to front of harness not back - if being towed violently backwards by leash for example - how do you get to it?! Companies that make harnesses dont seem clued up about this...for literally years

Just brainstorming some ideas really to make things better any other ideas welcome.

SupaEZ
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Space coast Florida 5th street
Favorite Beaches: One block from condo
Style: surfboard strap waves transitions
Gear: Boards quads & tri
Kites19-17-12-10-8-6-5 sqm

Postby SupaEZ » Tue May 14, 2013 12:36 pm

He was only 32 years old and had several years of experience

alexeyga
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2006
Weight: 200
Favorite Beaches: Ocean shore!
Style: Freeride dongling
Gear: Eleveight / Shinn / North / Axis / Slingshot / Airush

Postby alexeyga » Tue May 14, 2013 1:01 pm

The easiest thing to do is to blame the gear, what is harder - is to admit that out of every 10 kiters out there, at best, there's only one who's cool and mature enough to do the right things when $hit hits the fan.

There's no and there never will be a magical red button to eject your-self out of every possible thing that can go wrong while kiting.

Let's face it - even in the ideal world where every rider starts with appropriate lessons - how many kite-schools practice with their students primary/secondary security systems activation while the student is getting dragged under water and is getting his/her lungs filled with water? Yet alone reaching for a knife and cutting lines under these same conditions?

For what it's worth, the guy's name is Julien Blanchard, 32-years-old with several years of experience (we're lucky to pull 60 sessions/year around here).

Can't help but question the fact that apparently when the death-looping kite got noticed it was already going on for like 10mins... Well, if it was going on for 10mins already, somebody must have spotted it and started timing from the minute 1???? no????

marlboroughman
Very Frequent Poster
Style: Oldschool
Gear: Naish
Brand Affiliation: Make Kiting Great Again!

Postby marlboroughman » Tue May 14, 2013 1:31 pm

longwhitecloud wrote:
Just brainstorming some ideas really to make things better any other ideas welcome.
We now about the bridles we now about the pullies and what? we still buying this crap. And what we did to the safest five line system???? we ridiculed it to the point it almost disappeared from the market.

On that day I could have gone to Lake Erie to the much safer location sandy beach etc. but I stayed home. It was cold, crazy gusty wind I don't need this shit.

I have my own policy in regards to safety leash for which I get criticized. In case I get caught in crazy conditions (almost never) I disconnect safety leash and I am prepared to kiss $1500 goodbye in one simple step and I start heading home.

flipper231
Very Frequent Poster

Postby flipper231 » Tue May 14, 2013 1:47 pm

Hey bro, i doubt the 10 minutes thing... 10 min is very very long in those cases. But from what I read, he was riding away from the crowd so it is easy to get out of sight. Mo and his friend saw him by luck, and went right away. I guess non kiters bystanders may have reported having seen him but what do they know about it, really. And with that type of wind, there is a wind line so you never come back close to shore to avoid that unstable wind section. But your points are all very pertinent. The gear cannot do everything for you. And now we get kites that are easy to relaunch, easy to fly, take gusts like mad, I saw friends out in 35-40 knots on 8m when the call was for a 5 m a few years back (I was on a 7 that day). Joe schmoe like me would have stayed on the shore a few years back... Now guys who have practiced the sport for 2 years are out in 35 knots on 8's (not an urban legend). So the margin of error is very very slim, this is why,spot selection for me is the no1 criteria. If you get dragged towards a shallow section, people can jump in the water and help you. If worse comes to worst, your kite ends up in a tree and you get lapidated on the local forum. Anyhow, yesterday I went riding and you could feel some tension when looking towards the lake and getting ready for your drift launch. As for blaming the gear, I still think that F-One should drop the velcro...it is very hard to pull, Ozone should drop de pull in, if you pull it and keep you hand on it in panic, it won't go... North Iron heart should be the norm, an all the companies together should make it evolve.

RickI
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: SE Florida
Gear: Cabrinha
Brand Affiliation: Cabrinha

Postby RickI » Tue May 14, 2013 5:42 pm

I wish his family and friends what comfort they can find at this terrible time.

Severe accidents can culminate from a long list of small choices. Many have been mentioned in this thread already. Even experienced riders can get into trouble, for many years in the earlier days of the sport the more experienced guys were the ones primarily getting killed. So, it comes down to the decisions we make, no news there.

Some related posts;

- Wind shadow, it really is important and has factored in way too many accidents both severe and minor ones. Wind shadow or mechanical turbulence is caused by land features disturbing the air flow resulting in significant gusts and lulls, at times to a lethal degree. This is a main reason why offshore winds or winds which have passed over nearby land, particularly high points on land can relate to poor and even non-kiteable conditions. viewtopic.php?f=1&t=2354972

- Inland kiting, a now ten year old post but the information is still worth thinking about.
viewtopic.php?f=1&t=2297514&p=90620#p90620

I did a study for a private concern some years ago now. One of the conclusions was the incidence of severe accidents involving a solo kiter were significantly higher. Even if you are kiting in a crowd, as some victims have in the past, if you don't have a buddy, someone keeping an eye on you and vis versa, you are kiting alone in practical terms. Some solo victims riding in a crowd didn't rapidly come to the attention of responding kiters at times in the past or at least not rapidly enough. This doesn't equate to avoiding problems or instant salvation but could make a difference in the critical moments of an accident.

Return to “Kitesurfing”