Medium Poster
Local Beach: oregon
Favorite Beaches: windy ones
Style: old school
Gear: old
Brand Affiliation: None
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Re: How to Rescue a Kite in Offshore Spot?

Postby nobby raish » Tue May 14, 2013 5:51 pm

Well rather then go on about the dangers of kiting in off-shore wind...
I am guessing this is your closest kite spot,or only option...(?)
Shallow..?that would be too easy..

Your best bet is to have a SUP or small boat handy.

Or try a different spot.....?

Trying to resue a kite,with bar and lines attached,then go upwind with it...
well ,seems hard.
Grabbing a kite,and going downwind,is hard.

fdvj
Frequent Poster
Local Beach: lancing
Style: freeride
Gear: naish nobile

Postby fdvj » Tue May 14, 2013 6:45 pm

I tried it but wouldn't try it again, The kite flipped and the bridle nearly wrapped around my neck.
My advice would be to leave it, or if it stable and not rolling then there is the possibility of towing the rider out to it to pack it down or ,if you are confident, deflating by pulling a one pump hose off or the deflate valve and returning to the kite once it is incapable of catching the wind and towing it back in.

edt
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2010
Local Beach: Michigan
Gear: ride hard, no regrets

Postby edt » Tue May 14, 2013 6:49 pm

if the lines arent too wrapped you can always ride up to the bar and pull the oh shit to tow it home

frankm1960
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: -Bayshore, at the end sea st. on saint John's west side, bay of fundy.
-Saints rest beach, at the end of sandy point road, irving nature park, saint john, west side.
Gear: Kites: 12m LF Mig, 9m LF Mig, 5m SS Fuel
Boards: LF proof 151cm, Real Wind 144cm, home made light wind board 160 x 50

Postby frankm1960 » Tue May 14, 2013 10:58 pm

edt wrote:if the lines arent too wrapped you can always ride up to the bar and pull the oh shit to tow it home
and how well did that work for you ?

I thought of doing that well after if happened, a couple months after actually :lol:

If the conditions are good, steady winds, warm water and air, not to tired, got plenty of wetsuit etc etc then maybe give it a shot... otherwise it's a crap shoot with your own gear and your own well being. Is it worth it ? In our case we were land locked so a car was a better option IMO... but others didn't think that way :lol:

If it's ocean and off shore winds... no brainer... let it go.

Remember to call the authorities.

Alfarosi
Rare Poster
Local Beach: Castelldefels (Barcelona-Spain)
Favorite Beaches: Castelldefels (Spain) - Tarifa (Spain) - Cotillo (Spain) - La Palme (France) - Dakhla Lagoon (Morocco) - Safety Bay (Australia) - Woodman Point (Australia)
Style: Freestyle - Freeride
Gear: Slingshot Fuel & RPM 2011 and North Team Series 2011

Postby Alfarosi » Sun Sep 22, 2013 4:36 pm

Finally, last week I had to rescue a friend kite and I did it, but in a different way.

I left my board in the shore. I did body drag carefully until I was close to the kite. I waited until the kite was in right position (front tube into wind) as toby said. Then entering from behind I laid on the front tube and after that I was capable of bringing it to the shore easily doing body drag again.

ELI
Frequent Poster
Local Beach: ELI
Style: Surf
Gear: Cabs,Sling and Custom

Postby ELI » Sun Sep 22, 2013 5:29 pm

Do salvage rights apply? Ins.pays for a return if salvage is requested

knotwindy
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: baja, gorge
Style: erratic to none
Gear: yes, I use gear

Postby knotwindy » Sun Sep 22, 2013 5:53 pm

I've brought in two kites. Both were bridled and I hooked the extra board leash I carry on my harness through the outer most part of the bridle and just rode it in. No real problem other than the initial hook up and I could have released the second kite if things started to go bad. I do NOT recommend doing this but it worked well both times with no drama at all.
But be prepared to bail at any moment as things can go very bad very quickly.

lieutenantglorp
Medium Poster
Gear: Any

Postby lieutenantglorp » Sun Sep 22, 2013 6:11 pm

Conditions permitting, I like the first option to be dragging the kiter out to the kite to self rescue in. This way, the kiter can still get gear and himself back to the beach if it's not directly offshore. Then you can keep an eye on him and still bring him in if it doesn't work out and he has to let the kite go.

tomatkins
Very Frequent Poster

Postby tomatkins » Sun Sep 22, 2013 6:48 pm

I have always thought that it would be a good idea to incorporate this type of rescue excersize into "kite contests"... similar to lifesaver contests.

When I do this kind of board or kite rescue, I use the "slow but sure" method. With a kite, I throw my kite to its safety, and then, deflate the leading edge of the loose kite, and roll up the kite around the inflated struts, and then haul in the lines and wrap everything up, so it turns into a little raft... then I grap the package by the bar, and relaunch my kite, and then, slowly drag the mess to the shore.

I rescued a board with boots, this summer, and concluded that a board with boots is the hardest thing to bring back to shore... very heavy, no handle or straps, by which to grab the board... if you try to put it on your lap and slowly drag everything, you find that all the fins, boots are in your face or cutting up your arms.

The easiest thing to rescue is a board with a short surf leash attached... just grap the leash, sling it over your shoulder and pinch the leash between your hand and the bar, so that you can keep both hands on the bar, and let go of the leash if needed, in a hurry. The board will drag behind you half out of the water, skipping along. Here is picture of a surf leash design that has an automatic release which disconnects from the rider, before the pull can spring the board back at the rider. When the board gets released the leash is still attached, and can be grabbed by a rescuer.
Attachments
re-leash%201.jpg
re-leash%201.jpg (119.26 KiB) Viewed 1386 times

bnthere
Frequent Poster
Local Beach: South Padre Island and South Texas USA

Hood River and the Columbia River Gorge USA
Favorite Beaches: South Padre Island Texas: year round the best flatwater and fall - winter - spring fun wave riding as well.
Style: all styles of kite riding
Gear: Blade
Mystic
WindAlert
Brand Affiliation: Blade
Mystic
WindAlert
Seadoo
Headzone

Postby bnthere » Mon Sep 23, 2013 5:48 am

tow your buddy to the bar.

or

catch kite and sit there / drag upwind while he swims to the bar or kite.

(it depends on the person tho, it might be pointless to drag him to the bar if he can't/doesnt know how to flip the bar though itself and undo a lot of line crosses)

it is not hard to rescue a lost kite and carry it in (its not easy, but its not impossible) it is hard to bring it back upwind tho.

hold it by LE, upside down like when carrying on beach. if deflated make sure not filling with water otherwise impossibly heavy.

can always body drag. would consider hooking leash to bridal or pump attachment point for maximum drag abilities and free hand to hold board.

dont get tangled up.

Return to “Kitesurfing”